Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion Thread 15/1/2018 onwards

Deep Snow please

Posted
9 minutes ago, carl1980 said:

Just drove back from Liverpool,horrible driving conditions, local flooding

Been absolutely relentless rain this afternoon hasn't it. One of those truly insulting snow to rain events where the rain is heavier than any of the snow precip.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Rain got very heavy up the Pennines. This was at -0.5C

Posted

Vile out there and sums up the winter for here. Surprised we got falling snow earlier, but that soon turned to rain before anything could even treat us temporarily on the already wet ground.

Looking at the models, doesn't seem much out there to look forward to the rest of the winter.... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
55 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Yep it was blo*dy cold! You should have seen the ice on the bay!

-17.7 I think

Can believe it, funnily enough I recorded the same low temp......the river was frozen solid around here. When it did eventually melt there was ice flows banging into the bridges. Quite a sight. What I would do to experience a month like that again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

All things considered..that "cold spell" sucked the sweat from a dead man's balls.

Posted
5 hours ago, Chris.R said:

@captaincroc Thank you :-) I’ll be trying more forecasts like that in the future, think I’ve got the hang of it now.  Ice pelets are quite rare in the UK so the other day when I saw the potential I thought it would be interesting to watch.

It was certainly an interesting morning.

Interesting. I saw my first ice pellets here in Slovakia just the other day (never seen them in the UK) thrown in with sleet, snow, graupel and freezing rain. Got snow here now but overall it's been a poor winter so far.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Lots of flooding on my way to Southport today and in Southport itself. It’s actually pretty unbearable to be outside for more than a few seconds. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Still only 2.8°C. One hell of an inversion up there. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms
17 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Lots of flooding on my way to Southport today and in Southport itself. It’s actually pretty unbearable to be outside for more than a few seconds. 

Imagine you walk up the pier today!! That would be very baltic!! :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Not much cheer in the models now if it's a proper cold spell you're after, maybe signs of the Azores high being pulled west & north around 240hrs on some models but that's a long way out. For me we realistically have until the middle of March if we are to get that all important bitter cold spell which increases chances for all.

Posted
Just now, pip22 said:

Imagine you walk up the pier today!! That would be very baltic!! :cold:

??

Posted

Just returned from taking the dogs out in the field, I thought all the snow would have melted but its still thick, anywhere on concrete is treacherous as there is now a sheet of water on top of the snow which I think will freeze.  Its 0oc here. 

Posted

Say goodbye to the cold surface air. It may not be around again until next month. The wind is about to go on-shore. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Say goodbye to the cold surface air. It may not be around again until next month. The wind is about to go on-shore. 

Wouldn't surprise me if we get our long awaited proper snow in March, some of our best and most recent have occurred then. 2013 and I think 2005ish were very good.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if we get our long awaited proper snow in March, some of our best and most recent have occurred then. 2013 and I think 2005ish were very good.

Yes. I think 2006 it was. I remember some great snow falls in February and March. At least one was from a north-westerly. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

The boundary between cold and mild air is insane.. it's currently 10C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

I give this cold spell 2/10. I was gonna give it 1/10 but it was snowing this morning properly so I give it one up. The cold spell was dreadful and I am pretty sure its forgettable too. So NEXT!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

You'll get more than a foot of sand there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
11 hours ago, SP1986 said:

How big are they?2010 wiped most of them out in the coastal regions of NW England except Wirral

Not very, certainly not as big as the one you posted. They seem to have popped up a lot in the past 4-5 years, probably people feeling confident enough with the lack of proper cold. I don't remember any in 2010 - if there were any then they probably perished.

One thing that is common, and survived 2010, is the trachycarpus fortunei (i.e windmill palm). They are hardy to -15.

Here's a picture of the CIDP palms in Leeds city centre:

36559503061_e313bc3598_c.jpg

The urban heat island probably ensures that they will survive pretty well anyway. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1