IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion Thread 15/1/2018 onwards

Deep Snow please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Light rain here.

Posted

Report of snow at relatively modest elevation in Midlands thread (Shrewsbury).

Also, reports of snow in Worcester. 

Edited by Dexter

Posted
10 minutes ago, Dexter said:

And here at 200m asl in the north wet of England its jmmy frizzle :D

:yahoo:

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

And here at 200m asl in the north wet of England its jmmy frizzle :D

:yahoo:

Apparently it started as rain down there, so there is hope....

Posted
Just now, Dexter said:

Apparently it started as rain down there, so there is hope....

Reminds me of an eddie grant song, give me dope joanna, give me dope joanna ...- ah showing my age again :nonono:

We'll see , think the local supermarket has sent all the sledges back to supplier and replaced them with canoes...(with the inscription NW of England on the side in big black letters).

Posted
18 minutes ago, Dexter said:

It's been there winter for snow thus far. Even yesterday they did better overall for what snow that fell than this region. 

Posted

All joking aside lets hope for something decent in Feb- i personally can't see much life in Jan now- but you never know, we could see something decent in Feb .. to far out to write off Winter as a whole..

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

All joking aside lets hope for something decent in Feb- i personally can't see much life in Jan now- but you never know, we could see something decent in Feb .. to far out to write off Winter as a whole..

The opportunities have been there but we have largely missed out. Its not as if it has been snowless everywhere and we are all in the same boat. We have been very unlucky this winter, low pressure too far south, too far north and when we get what appears to be a favourable set-up, we missed out. Far NE England did better out of that then we did.

That's the way it goes. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Temp now on a steady fall but rain has almost stopped. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Weather-history said:

The opportunities have been there but we have largely missed out. Its not as if it has been snowless everywhere and we are all in the same boat. We have been very unlucky this winter, low pressure too far south, too far north and when we get what appears to be a favourable set-up, we missed out. Far NE England did better out of that then we did.

That's the way it goes. 

Yes we haven't had much luck i agree.

I'd really like to see a decent Easterly before the last third of Feb - your a similar age to me, cold Febs seem to be very rare nowadays (or during this current cycle), there is some deep cold to the east - moscow has had a mild winter but daytime temps are now dropping rapidly , the daytime max on wed will be -9.Its still quite mild as far east as Poland, they too have had a very very mild winter thusfar.- i be keeping an eye on those capitals over the coming week or two to see if there will be a pooling of cold air.without that we will be relying on the north west for colder shots and to be honest, think ive had my fill of cold shots that comes via the Atlantic and irish sea..

I know you like a trip down memory lane Kevin, i can recall starting secondary school in Sept 1985, and i can recall how bitterly cold the Feb of 1986 was, OK it wasn't overly snowy but something like that would be amazing- looking at the wz charts you can see why it was so cold!!

NOAA_1_1986020618_1.png

Posted

Reports of snow all the way from Gloucester to Leicester. Surely this is down to precipitation intensity? Once the heavier stuff moves in, we will hopefully see snow.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Reports of snow all the way from Gloucester to Leicester. Surely this is down to precipitation intensity? Once the heavier stuff moves in, we will hopefully see snow.

2 minutes ago, Dexter said:

On 19/01/2018 at 21:16, northwestsnow said:

agreed- cumbria is absolutely pants, but lets be honest here, the whole region is PANTS!

Disagree, only coastal parts of Cumbria tend to do poor for snow. Alot of Cumbria away from the coast and North Cumbria is at least 200 metres above sea level, and whilst it isn't best placed to see snow from northerly and easterly airstreams, it can see significant snowfall from frontal events. Don't have to go far to see snow either, just climb one of the fells, and under atlantic airstreams you hit the snowline. 

Posted
Just now, damianslaw said:

Disagree, only coastal parts of Cumbria tend to do poor for snow. Alot of Cumbria away from the coast and North Cumbria is at least 200 metres above sea level, and whilst it isn't best placed to see snow from northerly and easterly airstreams, it can see significant snowfall from frontal events. Don't have to go far to see snow either, just climb one of the fells, and under atlantic airstreams you hit the snowline. 

Yes , we can of course go to higher hills- it helps to have altitude nearby- we both have hills around us, in some respects it motivates to go out and take a healthy walk.. :)

Posted
8 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I'd really like to see a decent Easterly before the last third of Feb - your a similar age to me, cold Febs seem to be very rare nowadays (or during this current cycle), there is some deep cold to the east - moscow has had a mild winter but daytime temps are now dropping rapidly , the daytime max on wed will be -9.Its still quite mild as far east as Poland, they too have had a very very mild winter thusfar.- i be keeping an eye on those capitals over the coming week or two to see if there will be a pooling of cold air.without that we will be relying on the north west for colder shots and to be honest, think ive had my fill of cold shots that comes via the Atlantic and irish sea..

I know you like a trip down memory lane Kevin, i can recall starting secondary school in Sept 1985, and i can recall how bitterly cold the Feb of 1986 was, OK it wasn't overly snowy but something like that would be amazing- looking at the wz charts you can see why it was so cold!!

NOAA_1_1986020618_1.png

I remember February 1986, amounts of snow wasn't spectacular but it fell often and sometimes from a clear sky. Amazing spell. The weather changed around the time of the Space Shuttle disaster. There was also a teachers' strike ongoing so school days were short! Never forget that Wednesday evening at the end of November 1985 watching the snow fall. 

Posted

Lightest of snow this morning here, deposting a very slight cover - however, the heavy stuff hasn't arrived yet, and I would expect the effect of evaporative cooling will cause it to turn into heavy wet flakes which should enable a quick deeper cover, not expecting much, a couple of cms would do, before it turns back to sleety rain an the inevitable drip drip. Hoping therefore for a couple of hours of heavy snow around lunchtime, lets see.

3 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Three Shires Inn webcam, Little Langdale about 115 masl, snowing quite nicely there right now https://www.threeshiresinn.co.uk/webcam

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
13 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

NOAA_1_1986020618_1.png

I remember this also . being of a certain age I also remember some cracking easterlies esp 78-79

Posted
Just now, Weather-history said:

I remember February 1986, amounts of snow wasn't spectacular but it fell often and sometimes from a clear sky. Amazing spell. The weather changed around the time of the Space Shuttle disaster. There was also a teachers' strike ongoing so school days were short! Never forget that Wednesday evening at the end of November 1985 watching the snow fall. 

Great memories Kevin, they really are, there was a Greeny high at the end of November 85-

from the 27th-

NOAA_1_1985112718_1.png

Bitterly cold air and a trough moving across the North sea, was probs around this date or the day after you saw the snow showers.

They were happy days indeed.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Interitus said:

Three Shires Inn webcam, Little Langdale about 115 masl, snowing quite nicely there right now https://www.threeshiresinn.co.uk/webcam

Thanks for that. Yes the skies to the west look dark and overcast so perhaps the heavy stuff isn't that far away.

Apologise for the number of posts above - for some reason I was struggling to send a message. Its early for me on a Sunday, its the snow prospects got me up early! 

Posted
2 minutes ago, swfc said:

I remember this also . being of a certain age I also remember some cracking easterlies esp 78-79

Yes there were- 1979 was incredibly snowy here- i know my dad still talks about my late Grandads Pond which was to all intents and purposes Frozen for weeks on end- he had to break the ice to feed the fish , like every day.

I remember watching a RL  game on Grandstand, i think around Feb 1986 when Leeds were playing someone at Headlingly and the snow was almost blizzard like- i still recall my dad saying 'oh that will be with us in 10mins' , and sure enough, as i noticed the snow falling i ran to the window and could see the hills to me east (towards Saddleworth) vanishing into thick grey cloud, and boom, heavy snow shower hit home, and all was white, i recall it being very dry snow, and every thing was frozen, great days!!

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

Great memories Kevin, they really are, there was a Greeny high at the end of November 85-

from the 27th-

NOAA_1_1985112718_1.png

Bitterly cold air and a trough moving across the North sea, was probs around this date or the day after you saw the snow showers.

They were happy days indeed.

It quickly went very mild though. There wasn't much of my snowman, Friday morning when I woke up. It felt really mild. 

There was an unexpected lasting snowfall on the first Saturday after the New Year, which was expected to thaw but didn't. the school playground was icy as hell when I went back. Then waiting for the snow to come in on that Tuesday and it took ages to arrive not until later that evening. The thaw finally started on the Thursday. 

• Like 1