Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion Thread 15/1/2018 onwards

Deep Snow please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Nothing but cold rain here...not holding out much hope but would be happy to get a nice surprise! Didn’t even seem to get very windy tbh 

Posted

Wet and windy last night, occasional bit of falling snow, but alas while I was awake anyway nothing lay. Mainly rain event.

I see that the Teeside/North Yorks area has been absolutely past from those threads, if only that low had arrived a few hours later. The best event this winter remains that one in November/early December with snow on the ground for a few days, no more than a cm or two though. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Deep Snow please said:

Wet and windy last night, occasional bit of falling snow, but alas while I was awake anyway nothing lay. Mainly rain event.

I see that the Teeside/North Yorks area has been absolutely past from those threads, if only that low had arrived a few hours later. The best event this winter remains that one in November/early December with snow on the ground for a few days, no more than a cm or two though. 

Ive lived in Preston since 97, twenty years   The only lying snow that was deeper than a dusting and lasted more than a day was 2009 and 2010 (I may be forgetting or been away for other minor falls)  The 4-5 inches we got in Dec 2010 was the most my 82 year old father on law could remember for Preston, now he may be forgetting some too, but it gives an indication of how poor it is here, and not just a recent thing.   I think I am right in saying neither 63 or 47 bought much snow to Preston. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, chris78 said:

Ive lived in Preston since 97, twenty years   The only lying snow that was deeper than a dusting and lasted more than a day was 2009 and 2010 (I may be forgetting or been away for other minor falls)  The 4-5 inches we got in Dec 2010 was the most my 82 year old father on law could remember for Preston, now he may be forgetting some too, but it gives an indication of how poor it is here, and not just a recent thing.   I think I am right in saying neither 63 or 47 bought much snow to Preston. 

Yup, this area seems incredibly bad for snow-fall, as does much of the west coast to be fair. Can we just blow up island to smithereens to enable proper streamers to set up? Failing that save up for a move.

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Looking ahead to Saturday night: a chance of brief snow followed by ice pellets and/or rain, freezing rain inland. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Latest Net-wx home page update includes a video showing lots of snow showers (away from coasts) in our region until late Friday:

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/8684-more-wintry-showers-but-change-arriving-this-weekend

Edited by i luv snow

Posted
1 minute ago, Deep Snow please said:

Yup, this area seems incredibly bad for snow-fall, as does much of the west coast to be fair. Can we just blow up island to smithereens to enable proper streamers to set up?

Id love to see some accurate stats, because Im not sure its recent thing, my guess would be if we took say 1900 - 30, 1930 -60,  1960- 90 and 1990 - 2017,  they would all be similarly snow starved for Preston and similar areas.   

Posted

EC has uppers of -6 for our region until saturday morning - hoping for a covering sometime before saturday..

euro4 looks ok for the pennines but again shows quite a bit of rain for our region.

god i hate that model.

Posted
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

EC has uppers of -6 for our region until saturday morning - hoping for a covering sometime before saturday..

euro4 looks ok for the pennines but again shows quite a bit of rain for our region.

god i hate that model.

I think tomorrow night will be more favourable.

• Like 1

Posted

6'c temperature rise reported at buxtonweather overnight at around the same time the gales picked up, just shy of the forecast 70mph here and some of those gusts were pretty wild at 4am rocking the roof-tiles here. Seen a few pics from Hadrian's Wall along the SPINE race and they got quite a good covering of snow further north.

Posted

2 or 3 inches to lower ground around Penrith, maybe 4 above 200m. 17cm at Shap according to BBC News/Weather. About the same as 29th December but not as wet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Cheshire Gap producing lots of Heavy showers.

C.S

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

It is rained here again. This cold spell is so boring just sick of it!! 

Our climate truly sucks. Our world needs to cool down by 5C!! :angry:   #WorldNeedsCoolDown5C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Am i right in thinking that the colder uppers (-6) don't arrive until this evening?

Posted
47 minutes ago, chris78 said:

February 1996 was the big one for Preston, so you just missed it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
9 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Am i right in thinking that the colder uppers (-6) don't arrive until this evening?

-6 after 15:00, -7 after 21:00. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Alexis said:

February 1996 was the big one for Preston, so you just missed it!

In terms of length of cold spell and snow cover on the ground 2010 was a far better cold spell.  We had snow on 5 consecutive nights in my part of Preston.  96 was the stalling front and did deliver decent snow depths but the snow didn't hang around for as long as 2010. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Updated meto warnings for later today and tomorrow. 3 to 7cm at lower levels away from coasts, more over higher ground.

• Like 4

Posted
28 minutes ago, trickydicky said:

2 or 3 inches to lower ground around Penrith, maybe 4 above 200m. 17cm at Shap according to BBC News/Weather. About the same as 29th December but not as wet.

Sounds like penrith did well, they usually miss out on good falls. Glad I decided not to attempt kirkstone pass this morning, imagine it's quite deep judging what shap had. 

Small snow shower just passed though, looks like a repeat of Tuesday today but with less wind, let's see if the snow killing Irish sea is at work again! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
11 minutes ago, i luv snow said:

Updated meto warnings for later today and tomorrow. 3 to 7cm at lower levels away from coasts, more over higher ground.

That would agree with the warning from work and  the airport taf snow showers from

Midnight through until 6am with more tomorrow,and as Muka has pointed out in the

Mod thread some models showing a snow event tomorrow evening for the NW

C.S

Posted

Since I was 5 (in 2000), I can remember at least 15 good falls of snow, more than a dusting that is.

2005–06 - several falls of an inch or 2. 

2007–08 - a few 1 inch falls.

2008-09 - again a couple of 1 inch falls. 

2009–10 - 4 inches on Dec 23rd; several inches throughout January; one or two transient falls in February. 

30th nov 2010 - 1 inch off in Easterly. 

17th Dec 2010 - 11 inches, An evening  never to be forgotten.

2013 - 3 inches on Jan 18th; 2 inches on Jan 25th (transient); some transient falls in February;  two falls of 3 inches in March.

Nothing like that since. Just the last 5 years that have been really bad here. 

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, i luv snow said:

Sorry I missed your post, but for the south of our region its for areas east of Oldham Rochdale and Burnley