Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion Thread 15/1/2018 onwards

Deep Snow please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Well the rain and sleet just cleared through and the winds died down now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Started off as rain last night and I woke up at 1am and it had turned to snow leaving a slight covering of snow/slush. Central Cumbria with some elevation has had a decent fall, my other half has just got to work in Penrith there’s a few inches there. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Well assuming that today and Friday don’t deliver an amazing upturn in conditions, that was an impressive let down IMBY.

We invited snow, cold and wind to our party but snow said he preferred staying in Scotland and the far north of England, wind said he had been given a last minute better offer further south and cold didn’t even bother to reply. In fairness snow has said he may call to see me later tonight and tomorrow but he’s still not sure whether to drop in on West Yorkshire instead.

obviously I need to be more careful who I consider inviting in future.

for those who got my event though, we’ll done i’m not really jealous :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Surprised to see a little snow left on cars and grass considering it turned to sleet about 1am, disappointed we didnt get a covering but atleast i seen some falling.

• Like 1

Posted

Wind was awful last night, woke me up around 3am.

Quite a streamer through the Mersey estuary and through the Cheshire Gap this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well that’s most of the county apart from South central, South West and the NW that has had 1 or 2 snow ‘events’ this year. 

Gutted. 

• Like 1

Posted

Could have been so much better!- alas we managed a couple of cms, had the precipitation stated as snow then we could have seen about 2 inches, had it been heavier throughout its duration possibly more like 4 inches.

So Dec 29 remains the best snowfall of the winter so far - only 4 cms mind.. 

Expecting sleety snowy showers at times today, nothing significant, but may see another dusting later today/overnight, and possibly more showers tomorrow morning, would be nice if the snow can stick Sat morning at least for kids etc.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
52 minutes ago, Darren Bown said:

Wind was awful last night, woke me up around 3am.

Quite a streamer through the Mersey estuary and through the Cheshire Gap this morning.

It is cold rain 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Only thing falling by my house last night was a load of rubbish bins in the wind lol :D

Edited by Miamay

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Windy and wet last night.. currently heavy showers piling in. It's going to be a rather wet day.. hopefully the storms will get going later on too. One things for sure.. after last night's rain the ground is saturated.

Edited by SP1986

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Alex Beresford on GMB just said the showers will pile into NW today and turn to snow (all day but pepping up tonight and into tomorrow) and he would be surprised if warnings weren't issued later... hopefully these would be better than Tuesday's!

GFS shows lots of ppn in this region tonight and all day tomorrow into early Sat morning.

Edited by i luv snow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

What wind orientation are we expecting today. Straight Westerly or WNW/North Westerly?

Posted
6 minutes ago, Dexter said:

What wind orientation are we expecting today. Straight Westerly or WNW/North Westerly?

WNW at first, veering more W later though. BBC graphics show graphics piling in over today and tomorrow, hopefully of snow!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Not as much CAPE around this time but the flow is lighter so showers should be able to develop more before they hit land.  Wind at the surface is also lighter so modification from the sea Will not get as far inland. -7 850s are with us from midnight until 9 AM tomorrow. That is our best chance.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
3 minutes ago, i luv snow said:

WNW at first, veering more W later though. BBC graphics show graphics piling in over today and tomorrow, hopefully of snow!

Backing W :-)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)
Just now, Chris.R said:

Good morning Chris. What are the uppers looking like from say noon today?at work so can't check 

Posted
1 minute ago, Chris.R said:

haha sorry, never good with the terminology despite using this forum since 2003 - 15 years! :-)

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, swainclubber said:

Good morning Chris. What are the uppers looking like from say noon today?at work so can't check 

Morning :-)

-5 with some -6 in the afternoon, becoming all -6 by evening, -7 after midnight. 

Edit - actually looking again, -7s arrive after about 21:00, maybe a little earlier. 

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)
7 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Morning :-)

-5 with some -6 in the afternoon, becoming all -6 by evening, -7 after midnight. 

Edit - actually looking again, -7s arrive after about 21:00, maybe a little earlier. 

Cheers bud

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, itsnowjoke said:

Woke up to no snow or wind 

Wind has already rattled through, peaked at 60pmh and 70mph in our region and it is currently battering EA and SE (I am originally from East Anglia) where they are seeing gusts in excess of 60mph, causing massive travel problems across that region. Train lines are shut and homes without power.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
37 minutes ago, i luv snow said:

Alex Beresford on GMB just said the showers will pile into NW today and turn to snow (all day but pepping up tonight and into tomorrow) and he would be surprised if warnings weren't issued later... hopefully these would be better than Tuesday's!

GFS shows lots of ppn in this region tonight and all day tomorrow into early Sat morning.

I bloody hope so. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Interesting yellow sky over Wales.. that's snow. It is overcast to the east so it is not sunlight reflecting.

IMG_20180118_084633817.jpg

Posted

Only had an inch overnight, topped up the two inches we had left from yesterday though. Seems like north cumbria has done better than here.  Snow looks nice and clean again though!