Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion Thread 15/1/2018 onwards

Deep Snow please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
1 minute ago, Weather-history said:

Which part of 2010, lol? The January 2010 snowfall or the December snowfall and freeze?

December 2010

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
1 minute ago, Darren Bown said:

Sorry, as to why the 850’s won’t matter as much?

Because for the next thew hours we have a surface wind off the land. The -5 for sno rule is only valid with the wind off the sea. Correct me if I’m wrong. 

• Thanks 1

Posted

Light sleety snow at the moment, will be touch and go whether this turns into a decent snowfall or just a wet snow fest when it turns sleety rain and then back to snow - all very marginal. Much will depend on its intensity, the heavier the better as this will aid evaporative cooling. Ground above 300 metres should have no trouble.

Last night was poor in the end, only managed a cm slushy cover - very poor indeed!

Posted
Just now, Winter Hill said:

December 2010

Since it was the coldest December on record for Manchester and one of the coldest ever months for the city, I wouldn't have thought so but there have plenty of other past wintry months not as cold as that but still delivered.

December 2010 is a benchmark for cold extreme. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, Weather-history said:

Since it was the coldest December on record for Manchester and one of the coldest ever months for the city, I wouldn't have thought so but there have plenty of other past wintry months not as cold as that but still delivered.

Indeed,

December 2010 was a whisker away from being the coldest December EVER in the recordable era.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Its obvious we are in a warming cycle- anyone suggesting anything else is denying the reality in front of their eyes.

I dont buy ians large teapot theory- i believe everything is cyclical.

I'd like to see the back of it tho, pronto!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Because for the next thew hours we have a surface wind off the land. The -5 for sno rule is only valid with the wind off the sea. Correct me if I’m wrong. 

Thanks, I was just intruiged.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

Its obvious we are in a warming cycle- anyone suggesting anything else is denying the reality in front of their eyes.

it is partly cyclical, yes.

Trouble is, this warming cycle is likely to outlive us. I'm curious to see how the enhanced solar min affects our climate from a very short term perspective though

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

We'll see, but I do

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

That's what baseline means though.. the trend of general cyclical patterns. I.e. the cyclical patterns of cold will become less cold.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
41 minutes ago, Mountain Snow said:

Looks like it's turning to snow as it hits the Lakeland fells but will it be snow at this altitude? Temperature at 3.1C so think it'll be sleet here, maybe snow later?

You should get a decent top up - it was good today windchill not too bad - had worse - pencilled in Bowfell via the Climbers Traverse and Slab for and old timers winter exp next month - thats if we get out of the ODG :D 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Lads, if you get snow from this front you'll be buried. It's very intense. Started as rain for me and changed to extremely heavy snow within minutes. Absolutely chucking it down for last hour here in central Ulster.

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Sperrin said:

Lads, if you get snow from this front you'll be buried. It's very intense. Started as rain for me and changed to extremely heavy snow within minutes. Absolutely chucking it down for last hour here in central Ulster.

wont be snow for us i dont think :(

Posted
6 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

We'll see, but I do

Shows how much you know about his theory! 10 years ago this month, he said northerly blocking had become extinct. That went out the window within about a year.

It's two dimensional theorem for a three dimensional process but personally the whole thing was an ego trip that became an obsession with a dose of trolling for good measure.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
1 minute ago, Sperrin said:

Lucky sod! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

We had a heavy wet sleety snowy mix as I drove home from Morrison’s.

not looked since to avoid disappointment.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Shows how much you know about his theory! 10 years ago this month, he said northerly blocking had become extinct. That went out the window within about a year.

It's two dimensional theorem for a three dimensional process but persoanlly the whole thing was an ego trip that became an obsession with a dose of trolling for good measure.

to say northern blocking has become extinct is silly.

I do agree that since 1988 it seems to have gotten more difficult to get northern blocking in the right place for us due to an apparent increase in Atlantic energy- 

There have been exceptions to the rule in this cycle, ie 1991/1995/2001/2209/2010/2012 all of which had varying degrees of cold episodes.

But +NAO winters have become far too common for my liking.

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Yep I remember watching huge chunks of ice smashing  into a bridge over the ribble, thinking, I'm not sure ill ever see this again, it was around mid day and about - 5 (I think). I think I was right, that may not happen again for 100 years. 

Posted

There's still the SPINE race ongoing to the north of the Pennines currently with all the runners having been out on the Pennine Way since Sunday, starting at Edale and moving into Northumbria today. Thanks to NetWeather i've managed to relay some of the forecasts and charts over to the safety-team who have promptly put the race on-hold for overnight due to the predicted snow accumulations as they're well within the MetO amber-alert. 20cm for their neck of the woods and the race-leader already mentioning that past Bellingham it's waist-deep in drifts. There's still the Cheviots left to go before finishing at Kirk Yetholm.

Posted

4.2°C, rain getting a little heavier. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.
23 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

-5C rule is completely irrelevant in any situation, especially nearer the coasts. It can be disregarded when there’s a much lower pressure gradient (I.E this low pressure system), as it can snow with positive uppers, even to low levels given conditions are ripe. 

Whoever came up with the -5 rule obviously doesn’t live in the UK. You’d want -9/-10 ideally here for proper, guaranteed snow. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Backtrack said:

-5C rule is completely irrelevant in any situation, especially nearer the coasts. It can be disregarded when there’s a much lower pressure gradient (I.E this low pressure system), as it can snow with positive uppers, even to low levels given conditions are ripe. 

Whoever came up with the -5 rule obviously doesn’t live in the UK. You’d want -9/-10 ideally here for proper, guaranteed snow. 

The only situation you'd get snow falling from positive uppers is if the air temps were significantly below freezing as the front moved in. Even then it'd more likely be freezing rain. Think about it, if the upper temps are above freezing, the precipitaion won't even be frozen (snow) as it falls from the clouds. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
19 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

it is partly cyclical, yes.

Trouble is, this warming cycle is likely to outlive us. I'm curious to see how the enhanced solar min affects our climate from a very short term perspective though

I read on TWO abut 5 years  ago that activity in the Gin corridor was playing havoc with our winters....