Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion Thread 15/1/2018 onwards

Deep Snow please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

The band looks way ahead of schedule to me:nonono:

Posted
26 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

And what is irritating is the text forecast for the region tonight.

Some snow to low levels and an overnight low of -3c

Now then might be an idea to say low level snow in Cumbria which is likely,but no

Some low level snow to low levels...where???? NW England covers a big area

C.S

A minimum of -3C? 

No chance. Most places won't even seen a frost. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
2 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

A minimum of -3C? 

No chance. Most places won't even seen a frost. 

Exactly Kev

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales
1 minute ago, frosty ground said:

Modele GFS - Carte prévisions

GFS says -3 will be hit overnight into the morning! 

Not in NW England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

I'm gonna be bold and say tonight Wigan will get Wind and ..................................................................S...odding Rain again :rofl:, yet again we have managed to avoid even the slightest snowflake

Posted

Well, I've been lurking these boards for the past few weeks...getting all excited at potentially a big snow event.  Needless to say I'm disappointed...however, that's weather for you I suppose!  I really enjoy what I consider to be "exciting" weather - heavy snow, strong wind, thunderstorms, ridiculously long, hot, dry spells.  To me, they are something to reminisce over and talk about.  Like being sent home from school early in heavy snow (early 80s) and walking home through knee-deep snow.  I remember the long, hot summer of 1995.  Wall to wall sunshine and high temperatures from May until the end of August, the weather breaking just a few days before my waters did!  Sometimes the build up to weather events is almost as exciting as the event itself!

However, today, I feel like it's the afternoon of Christmas day.  The big build up has gone...the presents have been unwrapped...and there was nothing in them!!

Oh well, here's hoping for a record breaking summer!

Thanks for the entertainment everyone.  The banter is worth checking in for, if not the forecasts/guesses/predictions!

I will be back!

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

Looks like it to me....... 

Are the pennines in NW england?

Posted
7 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

Modele GFS - Carte prévisions

GFS says -3 will be hit overnight into the morning! 

Here's the problem, how many Joe and Jill Bloggs would have looked at that forecast and assumed that temperature for their locale? For the vast majority, no frost whatsoever. 

Perhaps they should have said -3C over the snowfields? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Probably already posted but...upgrade

This Evening and Tonight:

Cold and windy weather will continue this evening with some wintry showers, particularly over the hills. Rain will arrive later in the evening, with some snow to lower levels. Gales and severe gales over exposed coasts and hills overnight. Minimum temperature -3 °C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
33 minutes ago, I Cumbria Marra I said:

Are the pennines in NW england?

NW England, Yorkshire, NE England, North Midlands, some people would also throw in the extreme NW part of the East Midlands in it aswell. The likes of Glossop, Hayfield etc

Posted

Don’t even understand how there is even a sniff of a risk of snow for most places in NW England except the very tops, it’s 6c here, way too mild for frontal snowfall. We aren’t even in the ‘mild sector’ yet are we?

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

NW England, Yorkshire, NE England, North Midlands, some people would also throw in the extreme NW part of the East Midlands in it aswell. The likes of Glossop, Hayfield etc

I think their just covering their asses, I'm in yorkshire in the yellow warning zone but only expecting sleet and rain

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
56 minutes ago, janmac said:

Well, I've been lurking these boards for the past few weeks...getting all excited at potentially a big snow event.  Needless to say I'm disappointed...however, that's weather for you I suppose!  I really enjoy what I consider to be "exciting" weather - heavy snow, strong wind, thunderstorms, ridiculously long, hot, dry spells.  To me, they are something to reminisce over and talk about.  Like being sent home from school early in heavy snow (early 80s) and walking home through knee-deep snow.  I remember the long, hot summer of 1995.  Wall to wall sunshine and high temperatures from May until the end of August, the weather breaking just a few days before my waters did!  Sometimes the build up to weather events is almost as exciting as the event itself!

However, today, I feel like it's the afternoon of Christmas day.  The big build up has gone...the presents have been unwrapped...and there was nothing in them!!

Oh well, here's hoping for a record breaking summer!

Thanks for the entertainment everyone.  The banter is worth checking in for, if not the forecasts/guesses/predictions!

I will be back!

Nice to see someone who enjoys weather for what it is, like me. I do like the analyses and looking at models and charts, but the real experience is best.

Do come back...

Posted
3 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Euro 4 was a concern, it showed no lying snow to the west of the Pennines and it proved largely correct. I think it underestimated the shower activity though. If Euro 4 is not showing anything then perhaps we should take more notice. 

The mechanism for snowfall is complex and sometimes baffling. Last winter, saw snow falling from unspectacular uppers, whilst what appeared to be more favourable conditions, it was very marginal.

What surprised me last night, was how gusty the wind was. Was this a factor? 

I recall almost 3 years ago of another disappointment, it was also very gusty and it was marginal but the gustiness of the wind dropped and the snow fell during the morning leaving a covering. 

Absolutely agree Kevin and you’re correct I think re. the strength of the wind.

yes I remember 29th Jan 2015 very well. A good snowfall - about 8cm I recall? Like you said it all kicked in when the winds dropped light. 

Some nice comments in here today - thanks all. This is a brilliant forum. :-) 

• Thanks 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Stratocumulus perlucidus said:

Ppn is at least 3hrs ahead

Will that make any difference to the outcome?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Recently updated Manchester Airport TAF once again maintaining possibility of snow from 20:00 onwards through the night. Considering this alongside the metoffice forecast surely means they are seeing potential for snow at low levels throughout the region?

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Dexter said:

Recently updated Manchester Airport TAF once again maintaining possibility of snow from 20:00 onwards through the night. Considering this alongside the metoffice forecast surely means they are seeing potential for snow at low levels throughout the region?

That is good news, especially given the airports ASL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters
6 minutes ago, shadowfax said:

Will that make any difference to the outcome?

Dunno