Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion Thread 15/1/2018 onwards

Deep Snow please

Posted

Update Met Office forecast

Regional Forecast for North West England

Headline:

Cold and windy, with heavy wintry showers.

Today:

A cold and windy day with sunny spells and frequent showers, these heavy and blustery with the risk of hail and thunder. Showers will be wintry with snow accumulating, particularly over the hills. Feeling bitterly cold with gales. Maximum temperature 4 °C.

Tonight:

Snow showers will continue overnight, leading to further accumulations as well as some icy stretches. Winds will stay strong with gales over coasts and hills. Minimum temperature -1 °C.

Wednesday:

Staying cold, with strong winds and wintry showers both easing a little through the day. Turning very windy again through the evening, with heavy rain and snow arriving overnight. Maximum temperature 6 °C.

Outlook for Thursday to Saturday:

Stormy early on Thursday, with rain, snow and severe gales. Thereafter, a return to sunshine and wintry showers through the rest of the week. Drier and sunnier on Saturday.

The notable thing is that snow is now being mentioned with that low pressure system

Posted
16 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Update Met Office forecast

Regional Forecast for North West England

Headline:

Cold and windy, with heavy wintry showers.

Today:

A cold and windy day with sunny spells and frequent showers, these heavy and blustery with the risk of hail and thunder. Showers will be wintry with snow accumulating, particularly over the hills. Feeling bitterly cold with gales. Maximum temperature 4 °C.

Tonight:

Snow showers will continue overnight, leading to further accumulations as well as some icy stretches. Winds will stay strong with gales over coasts and hills. Minimum temperature -1 °C.

Wednesday:

Staying cold, with strong winds and wintry showers both easing a little through the day. Turning very windy again through the evening, with heavy rain and snow arriving overnight. Maximum temperature 6 °C.

Stormy early on Thursday, with rain, snow and severe gales. Thereafter, a return to sunshine and wintry showers through the rest of the week. Drier and sunnier on Saturday.

The notable thing is that snow is now being mentioned with that low pressure system

And I’m at home with the lurgy and I can watch it but my Landline has gone so no Wi-fi so have to resort to using data on my phone!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme events.

Off to bed, nothing here in Lakeland as expected. 

I will not wake up to a whiteout as forecasted. There will be no snowfall here in the next few hours.

Tomorrow will bring a repeat of sleet, hail and rain with no accumulations.

I have been using this forum for 15 years, experience has taught me to never take forecasted snowfall seriously. 99% of forecasted snow leads to major let-downs.

I am not even bothered as I knew this would happen, hope other forum users have taken note. I will report back when I wake up.

*I predict now at 05:17 that when I wake up there will no accumulated snow, it will be wet and cold.*

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

A bit of snow on the car windscreens and bathroom velum but TBH was expecting something a bit more substantial overnight.

the forecast still looks good for plenty of showers today, just need them to materialise and it could be interesting later on.

as for the widweek storm, keep it heading a bit further south and we could get some heavy snow from that and the bonus of little milder incursion.

we’ll see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Manchester Airport TAF going for possibility of heavy snow showers between 15:00 and 05:00 in the morning.

• Like 1

Posted

Hail shower smashing against bedroom window as been my early morning wake up call.  Nice to see already a white covering outside.  Work in 2hrs, interesting day ahead.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

I think today is going to be a case of fail or holy grail depending on whether you get under a streamer.

they definitely look like they will cross the region in lines so the difference between having a dumping and seeing next to nothing may only be a few miles.

hopefully troughs will develope in the flow to offer more widespread snow with this looking more likely later in the day and evening.

possibly a bit of transient snow from the storm late tomorrow but it looks to far north for us with more chance of rain and the heavy snow further north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter, heatwaves in summer :)

No snow yet but no rain either. Just hail on and off all night.

1516084443035974278231.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!
1 hour ago, Barmada_Casten said:

Off to bed, nothing here in Lakeland as expected. 

I will not wake up to a whiteout as forecasted. There will be no snowfall here in the next few hours.

Tomorrow will bring a repeat of sleet, hail and rain with no accumulations.

I have been using this forum for 15 years, experience has taught me to never take forecasted snowfall seriously. 99% of forecasted snow leads to major let-downs.

I am not even bothered as I knew this would happen, hope other forum users have taken note. I will report back when I wake up.

*I predict now at 05:17 that when I wake up there will no accumulated snow, it will be wet and cold.*

Was never forecast to be a whiteout for you this morning....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Lots of rain and hail showers last night.. less frequent this morning but still the odd rain shower 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Radar dooked up!! Driving back from work and was snow on windscreen. 

Posted

Rain showers at home when I left for work an hour ago and didn't feel especially cold to be honest. Hopeful for this evening and tonight still.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
7 hours ago, Barmada_Casten said:

Have suffered in this part of Cumbria these last few months. If anyone deserves something its us!

Depends exactly where you are, we don't seem to fare too badly in Coniston... 29th Dec  was reasonable... 

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Radar looks crap !!
Hope it picks up this morning ..

GFS/EC have stopped the momentum south- looks like heavy rain for us tomorrow night ..

Met office text forecast has upgraded to mention possibility of snow tomorrow night/Thursday......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Looks like beefy showers only get going about 5pm according to radar. 

Posted

Yes maybe northern parts of Cumbria and southern scotland will get the snow from Thursday's low.  Further south it's looking like rain, horizontal in nature most likely carried on very gusty winds.

Radar will take a while to kick into gear today but little specs are blooming in off the Irish sea.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
1 minute ago, Dexter said:

Met office text forecast has upgraded to mention possibility of snow tomorrow night/Thursday......

Don't know why?

EC/GFS/gGEM all show the low too north to bring us anything but cold hard rain..

Hoping today produces..

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Don't know why?

EC/GFS/gGEM all show the low too north to bring us anything but cold hard rain..

Hoping today produces..

They could be using old data I suppose. The afternoon update should reveal more.

Posted

D50BECD8-0373-4F4E-8A14-A02D33E971FD.thumb.png.7c623b331c825ff97edbaa86ecf10bda.png

Hello. 

Whats the ECM up to! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Not the worst text forecast I have heard.

Today:

Tonight:

Wednesday:

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 1

Posted

That radar needs to get a move on. Can’t be bothered waiting until 6pm tonight. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

We need to wait for  lapse rates to increase this afternoon. I expect it to explode about 3 PM. 

• Like 1