Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Forum App

Ukwoody

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Hi.  You've been saying for a couple of years or so now that you are developing an App for the forums (rather then use Tapatalk).  Just wondered if this is likely to happen anytime soon.

Woody

Posted

Tbh, I don't think we've ever said we're making an app for the forums (and we don't use tapatalk, although we have investigated that). We've looked into it a few times, and there has been the odd occasion where Invision (the forum software makers) have threatened to come up with an app, but as yet that hasn't materialised. 

It's certainly on the list to do at some point, but it's not in the development plan at the moment, so isn't something which is likely in the near future. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I can't see the point in app to be honest. If Tapatalk isn't being used (which i'm glad about) developers just put a website within a wrapper and then release it as an app - completely pointless! The mobile skin in-browsing is fluid enough.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

1 december 2015   Paul said in relation to a question about tapatalk ...  "I don't think so, not so much that it'll not be compatible but having looked into it before it's not something we've ever been too keen to opt in to. That said, a mobile app for the forum is on the agenda.  ;-)

Posted

'On the agenda' is, in my mind at least, the same as 'looking into it', and, if I remember right, at that time, invision (or a third party) were saying they'd be making one, which they subsequently pulled out of. Regardless though, it's something that's on the list, but not definitively so, and as Mapantz says, it's something which unless it's done with a really tight integration, it doesn't add a lot more than the web version would. 

Out of interest, what would you like to see from an app which the web version doesn't offer at the moment?