Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 1979/80

Sunny76

Posted
10 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I think some of the 90s winters were pretty decent compared to 79-80.

90-91, 93-94, 95/96, and 96/97 all produced some cold spells and snow across many parts of the country. 

The best of these being 95/96. Feb 91 was very cold and snowy first half, Dec 96 latter part into Jan also very cold and snowy. Winter 93/94 was episodic and generally saw the atlantic ruling the roost, but did deliver alot of cold zonality, some polar blasts and a brief easterly in mid Feb, it followed on from a cold spell in latter half of November with a potent easterly, a decent winter, but not especially severe temp wise, northern parts though saw much snow.

Posted
12 hours ago, damianslaw said:

The best of these being 95/96. Feb 91 was very cold and snowy first half, Dec 96 latter part into Jan also very cold and snowy. Winter 93/94 was episodic and generally saw the atlantic ruling the roost, but did deliver alot of cold zonality, some polar blasts and a brief easterly in mid Feb, it followed on from a cold spell in latter half of November with a potent easterly, a decent winter, but not especially severe temp wise, northern parts though saw much snow.

Manchester Winter Indices suggest the above mentioned winters were better  than 1979-80 but they were some really barren periods for snow in the 90s.

Post Feb 1991 to November 1993, there was very little snow and February 1997 to the end of the 90s, infact to Christmas 2000 as well. The snowiest period in the late 90s (Feb 97 to Christmas 2000) around here was April 1998!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
23 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I think some of the 90s winters were pretty decent compared to 79-80.

90-91, 93-94, 95/96, and 96/97 all produced some cold spells and snow across many parts of the country. 

sigh, 90's winters, tha days! bring them back

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
11 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

sigh, 90's winters, tha days! bring them back

they were crap lets be honest 

• Like 3

Posted
5 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

90s winters as far as snow was concerned seemed to be either quite respectable (95/6, 90/1, early 96/7, Feb 94, Mar 95) or virtually snowless (91/2, 92/3, post-Feb 97). While in the Noughties most of them seemed to give a few cms on a few days every winter, never having any proper lengthy cold snaps, seldom had snow cover for more than 2 or 3 days at a time, but rarely totally snowless either. The 2010s have been like the 90s again, only if anything more spectacularly contrasting the snowy (10/11, 12/13, 17/18) and not snowy (13/14 and 15/16 especially, also for the most part 11/12, 14/15, 16/17 and 18/19). The 70s seemed to do this as well from what I can see. Perhaps the 2020s will be like the 80s (and judging by the stats, 60s too) when winters were either like the "snowy" 90s and 10s ones or like the normal 00s ones.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
On 18/11/2019 at 20:09, cheeky_monkey said:

Certainly not classics medium,middle of road.

Memory as a youngster everybody will say they were the best times whatever the weather.

Posted
On 18/11/2019 at 20:09, cheeky_monkey said:

80's even better of course, but don't remember them

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
On 27/11/2019 at 18:51, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

The 80's were good compared with what we have now but not every year was cold and snowy, well not down here in Essex anyway.

81/82 - awesome. December had 4 separate snow storms and snow on the ground Christmas day. There was some thawing in between the snow and a general thaw soon after Christmas but then a proper blizzard in early January.

82/83 - poor. Don't remember any snow in winter but had a couple of cms in April that lasted a day.

83/84 - one 3 inch fall in Feb.

84/85 - good. A freezing 7 to 10 day spell in January and one in February with decent a decent snowfall for each.

85/86 - very cold Feb but not much snow. A snowy breakdown on 1st march but thawed by the evening.

86/87 - one amazing 10 day freezing spell with over 1 foot of snow and massive drifting in early Jan.

87/88 - mild and snowless

88/89 - mild and snowless

89/90 - mild and snowless.

Posted
On 27/11/2019 at 18:51, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

The late 80s winters had several  periods overcast with winds from the deep SW and very mild, for days on end

Posted
6 minutes ago, 4wd said:

The late 80s winters had several  periods overcast with winds from the deep SW and very mild, for days on end

The late 80s were awful.

I was born in 1973 and i can remember asking myself sometime around Feb 1988 hey ,what happened to winter!!

It was a completely alien concept to have seen no snow, little did i know that the future was unfolding before my very eyes, with the occasional exception of course.

I ponder if the extended run of non winters is GW or a natural cycle..or both.

Maybe its just nostalga but for every wet mild Dec we see, it makes me so sad.

Christmas is just not christmas to me when its 8 degrees and everything and everyone is soaked to the skin.

• Like 1

Posted

late 80's, when Ian Brown says christmas pudding began? unclear really when it began, but I'd go for 10 years later. 98/99, was when snow was on average on the decline, and worse still last 6 years or so

• Like 1

Posted

To add my two penny worth in the thing that seems to be missing since the early 00’s (I seem to recall one in either 2001 or 2) here in Cumbria are blizzards. Proper all day blizzards when an Atlantic system hits cold air in situ and the wind whips it up into big drifts. This seemed to happen a fair bit in my golden youth, even if they didn’t always last and turned to rain and washed themselves away. In the last 15-20 years breakdowns have seemed to always be limp affairs and any decent snow convective showers. Maybe it’s because those sorts of events were always marginal and now they are just rain, but anything like that nowadays seems to go through Wales and the midlands while I’m sat looking at frosty fields. 

Posted
5 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

The late 80s were awful.

I was born in 1973 and i can remember asking myself sometime around Feb 1988 hey ,what happened to winter!!

It was a completely alien concept to have seen no snow, little did i know that the future was unfolding before my very eyes, with the occasional exception of course.

Christmas is just not christmas to me when its 8 degrees and everything and everyone is soaked to the skin.

Lol I joke when I make this statement, but if we are talking about music we associate with mild winters(referencing the cold winter music thread), I will blame Rick Astley for the arrival of the milder winters and shift in climate lol.

Never Can Say Goodbye - Communards

Criticise - Alexander O Neal

Always on my Mind - Pet Shop Boys

These songs from the latter end of 1987 just remind me of the mild winter of 87/88. That winter sticks out for being very mild and sunny on Christmas Day, and the first winter I remember not having any snow in London.

That being said, I think anyone born in the mid 90s would probably have felt the same in 2013/14, when the milder winters returned once more, following a string of colder snowy ones.

Edited by Sunny76
  • Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

The late 80s were awful.

There were very mild winters and Christmas periods before 1987, it may just be the case we were spoiled with colder snowy periods between 1978-1987.

The early 1970s were pretty dire for cold and snow, apart from Christmas 1970.

Posted
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

late 80's, when Ian Brown says christmas pudding began? unclear really when it began, but I'd go for 10 years later. 98/99, was when snow was on average on the decline, and worse still last 6 years or so

Three phases I think we can all agree on.

The first stage of decline was 1979/80, as this included some very mild December and February temps.(this was probably the early stage, and not noticeable)

Stage 2 happened in late 1987, following the Great Storm, and winds from the west became more dominant. Mild winters came back with a vengeance. 

The 90s and 2000s had a mix of colder and milder swings, but I believe the third stage started in 2013/14, and the snow is now on a more noticeable decline.