Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - mid-winter

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in here & please keep it friendly!

For more general chat and banter, moans and ramps, please head to the banter thread.
For general weather chat, please go to the regional threads.

Notice a problem with a post? Please hit the report button.
Thank you!

View the latest forecast models in the Netweather DataCentre

Posted
15 minutes ago, ghoneym said:

Screenshots of a weather update service we use at work. Might be useful for close range detail. I think from what I read they draw their own charts based from data from ECM / GFS / HIRLAM. We get updates every 4 hours or so, I can update when I can on here or maybe on the short range thread?

5a5b457bc2b09_workweather1.thumb.PNG.2fb76b4b34853d1489e13157b5b270fd.PNG

5a5b4586db244_workweather2.thumb.PNG.106716193591402ad2950e132ab40988.PNG

5a5b45900d812_workweather3.thumb.PNG.98631a5e56580fef7ee6b7ad70e90771.PNG

Brilliant mate please do!!carinthian does the same thing aswell!!we just waiting on his update for today!more importantly keep a good eye on that horrible shortwave coming out of the eastern united states!!

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

Without wishing to offend in anyway there are an awful lot of ridiculous winter's over type post in here this morning. Anyone thinking any model has got anything on the nail beyond 120/144 at the moment is living in FI themselves. 

We all know that once a major back track occurs it hardly ever reverts back. We are more wise to these things than we used to be, that's all. January's have become a total borefest. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Very disappointing model viewing it has to be said. It certainly makes you feel that this model watching is a complete waste of time, commentating on charts at plus t168 then everything implodes and charts at t96 etc can not be trusted. Not trying to have a dig but even positive posts from those that follow the teleconnects more closely look to have come unstuck. I have never been a fan of the NOAA updates as they never seem to offer much assistance and sure enough the last update I read on here mentioned a more amplified upstream pattern over the states which would have benefited us yet the reverse now seems to be the case.

Warming is still being advertised in the gfs strat charts but this has been somewhat delayed and watered down from what the charts were showing three or 4 days ago although it does look as though there is now more of a response height wise with the vortices becoming more stretched again at 10 and 30mb. If this trend continues then a split may well be evident in early February.

Some of the more favoured areas likely to see some snow (perhaps significant) this week while for most the chance of some wintry showers with maybe a temporarily covering.

Edited by comet
  • Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

Couldn’t have put it better myself tbh, expect more changes in the next couple of days, it’s not nailed yet by a long chalk 

If I had a pound for everytime I heard that, I wouldn't need to put the lottery on :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Problem is whenever the models trend mild in fl from a cold outlook before they very rarely trend back to a cold outlook.Seen it so many times ,since I.ve been watching the models online for years and years,so utterly predictable :nonono:

Writing was on the wall after yesterday’s 12 I said then the ukmo  t144 was going to flatten,it’s the most consistent model I think at that timeframe.

NVM always end of jan and whole of feb for a repeat of 1947;1986 .Get those sledges ready.:gathering:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Without illustrating specific gefs members (which isn’t advisable as it skews your expectations noting the cold members and ignoring the non cold ones), the suite does illustrate that amplification is more than feasible in week 2 and could lead absolutely anywhere 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

Without illustrating specific gefs members (which isn’t advisable as it skews your expectations noting the cold members and ignoring the non cold ones), the suite does illustrate that amplification is more than feasible in week 2 and could lead absolutely anywhere 

Nice to hear some positivity but always seems to be week 2. Is it back end of week 2 by any chance? Lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
Just now, bluearmy said:

Quite so Blue.

Posted

My biggest worry over the last few days has not been the modelling of the SW as this was always to far ahead to put much into.

I've been consistently watching the Scandi/russian heights to our N and E.

In the middle of the week these heights were playing a big part at blocking the PV from moving to much to our East and its strength was forcing things in a much better SE direction to give us much lower heights over Europe.

Run by run up to now the blocks hold on the PV has become weaker and we see it heading in the wrong direction.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE
17 minutes ago, comet said:

Very disappointing model viewing it has to be said. It certainly makes you feel that this model watching is a complete waste of time, commentating on charts at plus t168 then everything implodes and charts at t96 etc can not be trusted. Not trying to have a dig but even positive posts from those that follow the teleconnects more closely look to have come unstuck. I have never been a fan of the NOAA updates as they never seem to offer much assistance and sure enough the last update I read on here mentioned a more amplified upstream pattern over the states which would have benefited us yet the reverse now seems to be the case.

Warming is still being advertised in the gfs strat charts but this has been somewhat delayed and watered down from what the charts were showing three or 4 days ago although it does look as though there is now more of a response height wise with the vortices becoming more stretched again at 10 and 30mb. If this trend continues then a split may well be evident in early February.

Some of the more favoured areas likely to see some snow (perhaps significant) this week while for most the chance of some wintry showers with maybe a temporarily covering.

Yes but we all model watch because we love it.! Kills the  long winter nights,  won't be long for the next chase, newer members feel the pain more. Loads of wintry weeather in the short term let's see what the 12z bring:)

Edited by snowice
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

My view FWIW is the models have not got this nailed past 96hrs, I work on the theory of twitter tweets, when lots of meteorologists who  I follow do not tweet its they are unsure of upcoming pattern. My twitter feed has been quiet for days from the Pros which says it all, I personally am still looking north/northeast for height rises.

• Like 1

Posted

In my view the gfs has modelled the up and coming snowy period this week quite well. Signal was definitely picked up

Chart below 10 days out and now 3 day chart

B88D7471-69CA-4D0E-9D63-62B432C8CD7D.png

2EEC3B34-BF85-4E2D-944E-6B11C327F94E.png

• Like 2

Posted
37 minutes ago, comet said:

It was me! 

I’m just relaying what NOAA think and their discussion. they preferred the more amplified solutions over the eastern USA because they better fitted the ridge upstream .

So they went with the ECM but even if they had gone with the others  that would still be much more amplified than today’s solutions.

The models have made a pigs ear of the upstream pattern couldn’t even get the engagement of the Pacific originating shortwave with shortwave energy correct over the ne USA at T120hrs.

Although  they might tone down the amplication they’ve gone almost completely flat barring the ECM .

I’d put today’s debacle as even worse than some of the easterly trigger shortwave dramas which are more complicated to model.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
4 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

It was me! 

I’m just relaying what NOAA think and their discussion. they preferred the more amplified solutions over the eastern USA because they better fitted the ridge upstream .

So they went with the ECM but even if they had gone with the others  that would still be much more amplified than today’s solutions.

The models have made a pigs ear of the upstream pattern couldn’t even get the engagement of the Pacific originating shortwave with shortwave energy correct over the ne USA at T120hrs.

Although  they might tone down the amplication they’ve gone almost completely flat barring the ECM .

I’d put today’s debacle as even worse than some of the easterly trigger shortwave dramas which are more complicated to model.

Anyway back nick given the quick change over 24hrs ??? I'd say probably not but we live in hope. The areas towards esb and canada look so complicated I guess anything could happen barring the uk getting a real taste of winter!!lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

It's all about the upstream this week - Canada's constant flatulence of cold really not helping. Should  the midweek bomb transpire (on the same date as that of January 2007's), a similar progression thereafter would be a lot better than what particularly the GFS is showing from the 21st onwards!

archives-2007-1-18-12-0.png archives-2007-1-21-12-0.png archives-2007-1-24-12-0.png

We were very close to a decent cold spell then. Amplification was on hand from the west and at least a colder drier pattern ensued, with some snow on the 24th (third chart) but then the high pressure toppled in and it got milder with no decent link up to Greenland, that is until the coldest spell of the winter in the first week of February.

Regardless of what happens this week, we really need the Azores High / Canada cold combination to chill (pardon the pun).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Having just read the latest update, sounds very similar to yesterday, no indication that we are looking at a sw / ne aligned jet in just over a week's time bringing much milder conditions as some of the latest operational / ensemble output shows so far today which has caused the downbeat mood among some coldies!...lets wait and see what the 12z has to offer!:)

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Having just read the latest update, sounds very similar to yesterday, no indication that we are looking at a sw / ne aligned jet in just over a week's time bringing much milder conditions as some of the latest operational / ensemble output shows so far today which has caused the downbeat mood among some coldies!...lets wait and see what the 12z has to offer!:)

absoflippinlutely - as some others have said beyond t96 is fI - let's see what other options are on the table before throwing in the towel begins lol

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
3 hours ago, offerman said:

Nice post snowbunting. 

Classic examples of too much excitement too far out and the charts letting people down as the event draw nearer. 

When will folks learn not to get their  aspirations and excitement up too much beyond 3-4 days. 

Time and time again it happens with the charts . Most of the time to the let down side for collies . 

I love the cold and snow. I too once always looked too far ahead getting excited only to be let down. I see so many others doing the same. You can’t predict the weather so far out. Just look to charts 3-4 days within but even these can change but should be more reliable timeframe as rule of thumb. 

On the flip side. People looking at models for the first time this morning without knowing the last 3days events with 36-48 hours still out would be thinking "Potential" I've seen events change within 12hours. Given the change isn't as dramatic but still its changeable. One thing I've learnt over the years you can never predict the weather. Lol. 

• Thanks 1

Posted

Much of todays drama is in relation to two areas circled. I posted a few days back regarding the phasing of energy there and this was when we were seeing a divergence of opinions between the outputs.

The circled red over Canada started its life on the Pacific coast, the more amplified solutions took this further south over Canada which then phased favourably with shortwave energy running up the eastern seaboard.

ECH1-96.thumb.gif.544717bd2967208f2ec77e8c85f60bb3.gif

The best downstream solution in terms of margin for error and cold would be the one which phased that into one more amplified  system near the coast as that would develop a cleaner evolution downstream with a better ridge to the west.

The ECM was the one with the most amplified solution so we've seen from experience it can overdo that, however the other outputs began to converge on not as amplified but more than they were.

Now you can see today still divergence as the ECM still goes onto develop one system at least with some better ridging to the nw.

ECH1-144.thumb.gif.c1fdd1bf2d0c810b75ba3469e075251c.gif

This is all because it has a more favourable phasing outcome between those areas circled shown earlier at T96hrs. The ECM solution if it wasn't so isolated would be something that although flatter than recent days you could see how it could evolve better.

Unfortunately the others are resolutely not interested with a totally different view of events upstream.

So tonights 12hrs runs are really the last chance if you want to see a better evolution because given the timeframes involved its unlikely this divergence will last much longer in terms of the pattern upto T168hrs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
On 12/01/2018 at 19:48, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

This Atlantic thrust has come earlier than expected as in it’s penetration through us.  The fact there’s signs of it getting disrupted I’m not entirely surprised as I anticipate another displaced PV chunk to hit us towards last week of the month.  So for me what is initially coming is a bonus....let’s see what develops onwards....but any break in cold Synoptics is only resetting for main surge.

BFTP

So deteriorating Synoptics on 00z runs for any prolonged cold pattern.  We are currently travelling through strong solar wind burst from coronal and thus I anticipate a ramping/ certainly consolidation of rough Atlantic affect mid week....not that it isn’t showing  lively enough currently.  Track of that ‘runner’ and how it develops sure one to watch ( sun is blank again)....so changes are imo still up for grabs re jetstream movement and track of the lp.  Down the line still no reason for me to not still forecast another displaced PV movement over us to usher in main event during the last week of Jan into Feb.

However, on my above basis my view is that we will be Atlantic driven over coming 2 weeks, but hopefully continuation of cold pM air.

However, the model movement today needs to be watched for momentum or being a glitch.  

BFTP   

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 3