Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - mid-winter

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in here & please keep it friendly!

For more general chat and banter, moans and ramps, please head to the banter thread.
For general weather chat, please go to the regional threads.

Notice a problem with a post? Please hit the report button.
Thank you!

View the latest forecast models in the Netweather DataCentre

Posted
4 minutes ago, Draig Goch said:

Early indications show yet another mild start to February, what some people living on the coasts in the south call their 'snowy month', when the sea temperatures reach their coldest and the sun is not too strong. Let's hope it will be a cold, snowy month this year instead of a mild stormy one. There is talk of an SSW by the end of January so there's hope

Even that's gone quiet in the last few days.... Unless I've missed something.

• Like 1

Posted

In regards to the low  Wednesday Night  into Thursday  the Arpege  deepens the low a tad  and draws the low slightly more north  hence winds are slightly higher and slightly more north  Ps  100k  really have you seen were i live.

arpege-11-24-0.png

Posted
14 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

ECM ensemble clusters a little less keen on the end of month NE ridge this morning but it's still very clearly on option. As are mild westerlies.

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018011700_324.

I think we know what will win that battle unless we can get the MJO into 7 or 8.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, mountain shadow said:

I think we know what will win that battle unless we can get the MJO into 7 or 8.

After phase 4 it looks like entering the circle of death.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/mjo.shtml

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Just out of interest, what causes the MJO to get so far then just go back to the start of the cycle? Is it affected by the monumental pain that is La Niña or the other way around?

Posted
1 minute ago, karyo said:

I know, but these MJO forecast plots haven't been great this Winter due to the nina complications. The GWO is a better bet and GP seemed a bit more confident in that regards.

Maybe Singularity or Bluearmy can give us their musings on where things are looking in that regards.

• Like 1

Posted

It*s remarkable for all the wrong reasons just how much the upstream pattern has flattened out.

Even outputs at the normally reliable T72 and T96hrs haven't lasted and the trend shows no sign of stopping.

Barring a chance of some possible snow as some shortwave energy disrupts se around day 4 the outputs are sinking without trace.

A lack of trough disruption and poor phasing with low heights to the ne finish off hopes with just too much energy upstream.

Although some ECM ensembles are better than the op the latter with its higher resolution should be better at handling the pattern at short range.

We're now left to wait for another opportunity but certainly after the recent sorry episode best view any more amplified upstream solutions  with a huge degree of scepticism.

The recent ones hit the buffers quickly and the ECM once again over amplifying upstream.

• Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

It*s remarkable for all the wrong reasons just how much the upstream pattern has flattened out.

Even outputs at the normally reliable T72 and T96hrs haven't lasted and the trend shows no sign of stopping.

Barring a chance of some possible snow as some shortwave energy disrupts se around day 4 the outputs are sinking without trace.

A lack of trough disruption and poor phasing with low heights to the ne finish off hopes with just too much energy upstream.

Although some ECM ensembles are better than the op the latter with its higher resolution should be better at handling the pattern at short range.

We're now left to wait for another opportunity but certainly after the recent sorry episode best view any more amplified upstream solutions  with a huge degree of scepticism.

The recent ones hit the buffers quickly and the ECM once again over amplifying upstream.

Yes Nick, it is very disappointing to think that up to a few days ago the models were showing a ridge developing in the Atlantic towards the end of this week, with a northerly and then a possible pressure rise to the northeast. Instead we are getting the horrid Azores High extending its influence north and east and a spell of southwesterlies next week. My only solace is that I will not miss anything worthwhile when I am away next week. :)

Posted
32 minutes ago, karyo said:

I rather like the BOMM output - think you could say it is hedging its bets with what phase the mjo will be in....?

BOMM_phase_33m_small.gif

Edited by swebby
typo - hedging!

Posted
Just now, karyo said:

Yes Nick, it is very disappointing to think that up to a few days ago the models were showing a ridge developing in the Atlantic towards the end of this week, with a northerly and then a possible pressure rise to the northeast. Instead we are getting the horrid Azores High extending its influence north and east and a spell of southwesterlies next week. My only solace is that I will not miss anything worthwhile when I am away next week. :)

Yes I agree its another tragic episode in the many that befall the UK when any cold synoptics manage to break through into the modelling.

The ECM particularly was more interested but even some of the other outputs still promised more than whats likely to arrive.

Although some parts of the UK have seen some snow for many its been another useless winter with expectations so low that a centimetre of slush is greeted as the next 62/63!

Of course in the UK you have to have lowish expectations given its difficult to get the right synoptics but really it's not like a Mission to Mars.

It should still be possible to get a decent spell with snow and not slush.

We now have to follow the MJO and urge it onto the more favourable phases and hope this can deliver.

Anyway I'm a bit grumpy as you can tell!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Why is nobody in here talking about the south this morning? I need my daily dose of southern bias:nonono::rofl:

Had a quick browse through the models, the lack of posts says it all really... pretty much nothing to talk about, let's just hope it will be dry.

GFS 0z ensembles show not too much interest really, there's a cool down out to day 8/9 but nothing to write home about, even longer term there's really no sustained cold amongst any of the ensemble suite. :(  

IMG_8861.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, swebby said:

I rather like the BOMM output - think you could say it is edging its bets with what phase the mjo will be in....?

BOMM_phase_33m_small.gif

Interesting, Swebby, and you've just reminded me of a question I have: do the models ever have the faintest idea where the MJO is, at any given time? Or do the models do their workings totally independently of teleconnection forecasts?:cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I think everyone is feeling deflated (hence the lack of posts) - the SSW shown was overblown, the blocked scenarios are slowly disappearing, and we all know what we're going to be left with.....the same as always. If this winter has told people anything, it's that changes have happened at a rapid pace, and from nowhere at times. Still another 6 weeks to get something decent yet, plenty of time!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

Interesting, Swebby, and you've just reminded me of a question I have: do the models ever have the faintest idea where the MJO is, at any given time? Or do the models do their workings totally independently of teleconnection forecasts?:cc_confused:

I thought all those MJO forecasts where generated from the models.

To me it looks like people are using MJO forecast generated by models as a signal for future development except they call it teleconnetics.

When the models looked good for next week and beyond the MJO got trotted out that supported the current  output, which to me is basically reading the models but in a different way, then when the models changed we where told that maybe the models are not reading the MJO signal right, except the MJO signal was derived from previous output therefore the statement should have been the Models misread the MJO originally.

• Like 1

Posted

In terms of the MJO the weakening is in relation to interference from a Rossby wave.

That's mentioned here in yesterdays Tropics update:

During the next two weeks, the current MJO signal is forecast to continue its eastward propagation. La Nina, the low frequency state, is expected to remain entrenched in the central and eastern Pacific. For Week-1, the RMM-index shows movement into Phase 4 for the MJO, moving the enhanced convective region over the Maritime Continent. The forecast shows deterioration in the amplitude of the signal over the next week and into the beginning of Week-2. This is most likely due to expected Rossby wave activity in the Pacific. Model guidance reflects this solution, though the GFS model forecasts a larger decay to the signal than the European model. Despite the weakening, eastward propagation into Phase 5 is expected for the MJO signal. The convective envelope of the MJO is likely to destructively interfere with the base state as it moves into the western Pacific. This is reflected in the shift of forecasted precipitation patterns for the Pacific from Week-1 to Week2.

• Like 3

Posted
23 minutes ago, swebby said:

I rather like the BOMM output - think you could say it is edging its bets with what phase the mjo will be in....?

BOMM_phase_33m_small.gif

I am not the most knowledgeable on the MJO but i think that it is less likely to reach phases 7 and 8 if it is weak before hand. Especially as it has to fight the La Nina easterlies that are dominating further east. And in this case, the MJO is not just weak but dead. I could be wrong though. Edit: just read Nick's explanation on the MJO weakening.

Hopefully, the GWO is more important as other members have said but I have no idea how is that progressing. Anybody can update us please?

Edited by karyo

Posted
19 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

In terms of the MJO the weakening is in relation to interference from a Rossby wave.

That's mentioned here in yesterdays Tropics update:

During the next two weeks, the current MJO signal is forecast to continue its eastward propagation. La Nina, the low frequency state, is expected to remain entrenched in the central and eastern Pacific. For Week-1, the RMM-index shows movement into Phase 4 for the MJO, moving the enhanced convective region over the Maritime Continent. The forecast shows deterioration in the amplitude of the signal over the next week and into the beginning of Week-2. This is most likely due to expected Rossby wave activity in the Pacific. Model guidance reflects this solution, though the GFS model forecasts a larger decay to the signal than the European model. Despite the weakening, eastward propagation into Phase 5 is expected for the MJO signal. The convective envelope of the MJO is likely to destructively interfere with the base state as it moves into the western Pacific. This is reflected in the shift of forecasted precipitation patterns for the Pacific from Week-1 to Week2.

So the Models got it wrong originally hence why forecasts based upon MJO was also wrong.

Posted
1 hour ago, shaky said:

gona have the same punch as it does in december or january as sun will be higher up in the sky!!especially mid to late feb!!06z continues the slide further!!

Late March 2013 snow was on the ground for over 3 weeks!!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dafydd Tomos said:

Indeed but we need to see that persistent very cold air move out of America than the jet can relax in intensity as it is not helping us in the south one bit. As you say though, February but even March has the highest chance of snow settling on the coast. Still about 9 weeks to turn this disappointing Winter around for us

CFS looks poor but suggests March will be our best chance, February looks mild again but thankfully April looks about average or slightly above this year! 

image.png

image.png

image.png

Posted
4 minutes ago, Draig Goch said:

CFS looks poor but suggests March will be our best chance, February looks mild again but thankfully April looks about average or slightly above this year! 

image.png

image.png

image.png

If all else fails roll out the faithful  cfs lol.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Tamara said:

Any NWP extended ensemble signal showing a height anomaly to the NE has been/is based upon what looks at the moment like something of a leap of faith assumption that MJO tropical forcing successfully negotiates the trade wind wall of easterlies in the Pacific, overcoming in the process a substantial -3 low angular momentum standard deviation from parity, (reflective of the easterly trades swamping the atmosphere) and then manages to trigger a downstream signal for that greater amplification in the Atlantic and European sector.

My take remains exactly the same as of late that the above described atmospheric hoop jumping is a big ask based on simple AAM budget maths. NWP is now awake to those maths.

Until or if those easterly trades relent some, and change the complexion of the budget maths to allow greater +AAM anomalies c/o MJO tropical convection to scrub out some of those surplus easterlies (to permit greater downstream amplification), the cat is very much in the ascendency of the mouse at the moment and it increasingly becomes a case of whether the mouse can roar during February. Which to those more especially further south seeking some seasonal whiteness implies more 'jam tomorrow' - and assessing that comes against a spectre of ever greater doubting questions vs also the seasonal wavelengths ever shortening.

Thanks as ever Tamara.

Sorry to quote just this part of your post but I think it is quite relevant to the ECM clusters that I post - so I'm gathering that the NE height rises suggested for the month end are dependent upon a couple of background signals which, at the moment, are uncertain and perhaps over-optimistic.

@iapennell - it's getting very close to your timescale for an end of January easterly - I would be very interested in your take on this!

• Like 4