Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - mid-winter

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in here & please keep it friendly!

For more general chat and banter, moans and ramps, please head to the banter thread.
For general weather chat, please go to the regional threads.

Notice a problem with a post? Please hit the report button.
Thank you!

View the latest forecast models in the Netweather DataCentre

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

Looks very good to me Steve

ECH1-168.GIF?13-0

PV once again becoming organised over eastern canada...........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, Steady Easterly said:

Those snow charts are as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

I agree...

Small issue of the link not linking to a snow chart though :doh:

Maybe wind can become the new snow :pardon:

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
4 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Yep 192 sub -8c expected across the Uk poss snow heading for the SW & Southern Ireland-

The UKMO graphic above looks not far North of London!

Indeed - just 30 miles further south and we're in the game.  With just about everyone else getting snow this winter, we deserve some luck!!

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Indeed - just 30 further south and we're in the game.  With just about everyone else getting snow this winter, we deserve some luck!!

Yes we do!!

very very cold over any snowfields

double digit minus minima overnight!

F76BCE95-F431-4D61-9457-33C622F47292.thumb.png.d0fb89f6da4aa60c5cf68e1115883ffe.png

Snow in SE Scotland & poss SE-

Edited by Steve Murr
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
5 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Yes we do!!

very very cold over any snowfields

double digit minus minima overnight!

F76BCE95-F431-4D61-9457-33C622F47292.thumb.png.d0fb89f6da4aa60c5cf68e1115883ffe.png

Snow in SE Scotland & poss SE-

I make it -15 on the higher res charts... -6/-7 fairly widely

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Not far off snow heaven for a lot of people with this setup.

5048561E-D85F-4B09-A33F-049AE086836A.thumb.png.216482f47eadb3a66001b76b03e112a7.pngF10B725A-BDDD-4945-8D01-C97DD424E042.thumb.png.5c1c044cde3dccc6d2ac1b3fe597c722.png

if we can get that energy (S of Greenland) diving SE we could be in business! Just needs to be a tad further south. fl I know, but still

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 6

Posted

The ECM good up to day 8 and then quite a different profile over Canada after that on days 9 and 10 compared to the earlier 00hrs run.

Quite a complicated picture with lots of shallow features spinning about and whether they phase with the upstream low.

Still that's well into the future so could  change in future runs.

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, swfc said:

Ecm kind of implodes at day ten

All to play for tho atm

ecm 216 and 240 always seem to be weird and really hardly ever come to fruition - so no worries there right now

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, andymusic said:

ecm 216 and 240 always seem to be weird and really hardly ever come to fruition - so no worries there right now

They never come to fruition when showing a powerhouse Easterly, however when they show a return to the Atlantic.....................................................................................

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

A general sign that out "cold spell" (meh, if you live in the South) is going to end is cold air flooding across the Eastern Seaboard, this only serves to power up the jet and blast the Atlantic towards the UK. Something that seems to have become a consistent feature in winters over the last few years.

If you live in the North and West you'll do well out of this setup. If you live say, South of the M4 then hopefully rain and gales are your thing, because it looks like we'll be seeing plenty of that down here. 

Cracking end to the GFS with that Easterly but as yet, very little support for it anywhere other than the GFS Det, given the last "Easterly" I wouldn't pin too much hope on that one materialising. 

Having said all that, I'm off to look at houses, I'm fed up of living in the South now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

So what, one run from one model has gone the way-of-the-pear at T+240...and winter's over?:D What do y'all expect? A rerun of 1947?:shok:

Second thoughts - don't answer that!:cold:

Edited by Ed Stone
Apostrophe crime committed!
  • Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Danny* said:

A general sign that out "cold spell" (meh, if you live in the South) is going to end is cold air flooding across the Eastern Seaboard, this only serves to power up the jet and blast the Atlantic towards the UK. Something that seems to have become a consistent feature in winters over the last few years.

If you live in the North and West you'll do well out of this setup. If you live say, South of the M4 then hopefully rain and gales are your thing, because it looks like we'll be seeing plenty of that down here. 

Cracking end to the GFS with that Easterly but as yet, very little support for it anywhere other than the GFS Det, given the last "Easterly" I wouldn't pin too much hope on that one materialising. 

Having said all that, I'm off to look at houses, I'm fed up of living in the South now.

No we dont like wind and rain south of the M4 - but hey, you kind of get used to it. If we cant get a few grains of snow out of this setup, might as well give up

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

So what, one run from one model has gone the way-of-the-pear at T+240...and winter's over?:D What do y'all expect? A rerun of 1947?:shok:

Second thoughts - don't answer that!:cold:

yes, for god's sake let's not start looking for the end of this cold spell (not toppler or cold "snap") and enjoy it for a change

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
18 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The ECM good up to day 8 and then quite a different profile over Canada after that on days 9 and 10 compared to the earlier 00hrs run.

Quite a complicated picture with lots of shallow features spinning about and whether they phase with the upstream low.

Fully agree nick, I'm just happy we are in for some cold weather action next week after this week's murky bore fest! Plenty of cold and even some snow to come on the Ecm 12z and plenty of time for day 10 to look better again!:D:cold::drinks:

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

To be fair that chart does only say falling snow but mot of the location forecasts  for most parts of M'cr suggest sleety rain / rain all the way, that chart is way too vague, you have to specify elevations on a low res broad brush drawing like that.

It would have a better chance to be closer to the mark if next week's uppers were 3 degrees lower. Looking at the ECM, the upper air temperatures look marginal, varying from either side of -5. Not cold enough sadly :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
28 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Just caught up with this and I'm baffled by the movement of that trough after day 8. Even with shallow disturbances phasing it seems difficult to believe that the trough could make so much progress in the face of a large pool of stagnating cold air and with not much kick likely to the jet stream.

Maybe it's still giving the MJO forcing more weight as this at least would put some sense behind ending up with a SW wind direction over here. Still much to be resolved there although I have seen some  reports on mountain torque activity that are encouraging. I will have to leave elaboration on this to others as there's only so much I am allowed to detail on here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, karyo said:

haha!

Maybe 20cms worth of precipitation but I can't see that much snow on low ground settling with such marginal upper air temperatures and a wind from the Irish sea.

Even 20cm of precipitation is ridiculous. that's nearly 8 inches of rain! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

UKMO extended has higher pressure edging in from the west UK remaining cold and mainly dry

ukm2.2018012012.168.lant.troplant.prp.fcst.gentracker22.png

Horrendous chart going forward.

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Horrendous chart going forward.

Agreed! No slider on offer in that chart. The Atlantic ready to take control.

• Like 1

Posted

You definitely get the feeling that something is brewing as we head towards late Jan and on into Feb. Even the ecm t240 chart although going the way of the pear for us has a very promising configuration especially for our side of the pole. Coupled with strat forcing and a favourable MJO signal charts like the gfs 12z op is showing may not be far fetched at all and may well be bettered over the coming days. That is a long way off though and much water to get under the bridge before then especially with what's being modelled for the coming week. My concerns being pehaps not as cold as the gfs would have us believe nor as snowy apart from the more favoured locations.