Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Eleanor - Atlantic Storm 5

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I think the Irish Met have named most of the named storms we've seen so far this winter, they have lower thresholds for wind speeds/warnings. I expect if the Irish Met hadn't have named Eleanor then the UK Met would've given they issued an amber warning for gusts in excess of 80 to 90mph, and you could argue they would've issued a red warning if the storm had impacted the UK during the day at a busier time.

Named storm or not, any warning be it yellow amber or red is issued to make people aware of the potential for disruption to their daily lives, obviously the higher up the scale more serious impacts are expected which may prevent us going about our day to day lives, and pose serious risks. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind, Thunder, Snow, warm sunshine!

Well the winds have really ramped up here in the last hour or so, I just popped down the shops to get some milk and the paper and it was relatively calm as I walked down the hill but coming back up was a very different story I was literally having to lean forward to make any kind of progress and some of the gusts (must have been 50 mph or more) where trying to push me backwards and my eyes where watering. Now I'm currently keeping a close eye on our garden furniture and the 2nd half of our fence and praying nothing goes bang like it did the other night during Storm Eleanor, last thing we need right now is more damage to repair at the start of a new year.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Unless it's been recently named warnings are out so there isn't any reason bar the normal inconsistency over why it hasn't been named.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Turned out to be windier yesterday here then the storm on Wednesday with many gusts in the range of 35-45mph.

had two top gusts of 47mph so was pretty windy to be honest and much more then I was expecting, thought the worst was going to be yesterday but max gust was 42mph and that was also just a one off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Found out today that a lamp post broke and fell just in front of a friend of mine. Luckiy he saw it starting to fall so stopped walking, but he was shaken up.  This was during the second storm not Eleanor.

Edited by alexisj9