Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Eleanor - Atlantic Storm 5

Summer Sun

Posted

Amber #Weather #Warning :

Storm #Eleanor Brings A Serious #Danger To Life .

This Is Live Data From My Personal Weather Station .

Notice Darker Blue Area .

This Is Air Pressure ( Barometer )

The Drop In 24 Hours Is Around 28 Milibars

Process Known As #Cyclogenesis ( Weather Bomb ) !

Storm Eleanor.jpg

Posted

Highest gust in Buxton this early am was 66mph recorded at 05:38am, the gusts and slight-hail rattling against the window here since 2am. Luckily the leccy is still on although i'v heard reports of a few thousand without power up in Yorkshire and Cumbria.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Just had a huge gust which made the house creak. It had been calming for the last half hour but that gust and another just now seems to have ended that period.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Interesting Sheffield has had a 76mph gust yet I've only recorded 50 mph. A few twigs off one wheelie bin blown over, its bin day doesn't support 76 mph. Must have been a gust local to the station shower related??

Posted

It was High Bradfield which recorded 76mph overnight this on the moors outside Sheffield. So not really Sheffield per sec.

Posted

Seen that a proper storm. :)

At the moment sunny Sheffield doesn't class this as a storm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

I think our local weather station at Thatcham recorded 69mph. Am dreading coming home from Scotland today to strewn bins as no one will have picked them up. Why is that? Hoping that is all I come home too... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
8 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

. Am dreading coming home from Scotland today to strewn bins as no one will have picked them up. Why is that? .........

Because everyone has been blown away???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind, Thunder, Snow, warm sunshine!

Squally shower passing over now after a quieter period around breakfast time, last night certainly got wild for a short time around about midnight as that convective band blew through we lost part of our fencing and the garden furniture was blown half way up the lawn (I wondered what the crash and bang was that woke me from my slumber). A gust of 73 mph was recorded somewhere in West-London, must have been over 60 mph here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

I think our local weather station at Thatcham recorded 69mph. Am dreading coming home from Scotland today to strewn bins as no one will have picked them up. Why is that? Hoping that is all I come home too... 

Once mine has fallen I leave it lying down, but move it so the lid is shut and against a wall so it can't blow open. Otherwise I'll be in and out all the time picking it up.

Posted
1 hour ago, Mokidugway said:

Run of the mill winter storm , 66 mph gusts max ,air very fresh and full of negative ions ,a good dog on beach day ,lol

It wasn't a "run of the mill winter storm" if you happened to be in the areas effected by 90 mph+ gusts.

• Like 1

Posted

Now getting windy. Still nothing of the ordinary here though. Max gust 54mph just a little while ago.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Well my fence didn’t survive Eleanor’s wrath! Probably not the best idea using that stuff, acted like a sail and brought it down! 

House opposite has lost some tiles off the roof. 

3C790FBC-8EFC-4448-9C71-B3DC0BFEF714.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Still blowing in the 50s here. To be fair pretty normal for this year. The squall went up to 76 mph though. None of the showers have made it to this corner so have missed the worst of any strong gusts today, so far.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Nowhere near as bad as Doris last night although I am in a sheltered garden from the west. Max gust 31 mph. Most surprising was the lack of any big showers or any lightning activity in the region despite all of that CAPE. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
5 hours ago, Chris.R said:

Nowhere near as bad as Doris last night although I am in a sheltered garden from the west. Max gust 31 mph. Most surprising was the lack of any big showers or any lightning activity in the region despite all of that CAPE. 

Couldn't agree more @Chris.R, this storm was nowhere near as bad as Storm Doris! Plus as @Mokidugway has also said, it was just a run of the mill winter storm, speaking from a totally IMBY perspective. 
But one thing that I did find weird about Storm Eleanor, was the wind sound! At about 05.30 this morning the dog wanted out, and although it was blustery, at a much higher level, you could really hear the wind howling and roaring... Much stronger than what I was experiencing on the ground. Even the dog kept looking up, as it did sound really wild at say another 100ft or so above where me and the dog were standing. 
:blink2:

• Like 1

Posted
22 hours ago, Mokidugway said:

For my area that has experienced wind gusts up to 110 mph it was run of the mill .

110 mph is surely the exception rather then the rule even for you though?... 90 mph is quite rare for the majority, I think I've only ever experienced them sort of winds maybe once in my life so far and that was the October 2000 storm.

Just out of curiosity I'm intrigued to know why the Met Office haven't felt the need to name today's weather system with widespread 60 mph gusts forecast for central and southern England and perhaps 70+ on English Channel and Bristol Channel coasts ?.....

2 hours ago, knightstorm87 said:

110 mph is surely the exception rather then the rule even for you though?... 90 mph is quite rare for the majority, I think I've only ever experienced them sort of winds maybe once in my life so far and that was the October 2000 storm.

Just out of curiosity I'm intrigued to know why the Met Office haven't felt the need to name today's weather system with widespread 60 mph gusts forecast for central and southern England and perhaps 70+ on English Channel and Bristol Channel coasts ?.....

Indeed a rare event , 80 to 90 mph  gusts less rare but  60 to 70 gusts occur regularly during winter here .