Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Eleanor - Atlantic Storm 5

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Hi I live in Western Ireland and Eleanor is really packing a punch...just lost my side gate, it was totally split in two...lights flickering now...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Met office have issued an amber warning now, risk of 80-90mph gusts!

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/mobile/warnings/uk

Edited by DisruptiveGust
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

From the MetO twitter feed

As #StormEleanor continues to move eastwards, Mace Head on the west coast of Ireland has recently reported a wind gust of 87 mph.

Posted

Coastal flooding in Ireland currently all down to Storm Eleanor (source @DN77)

Untitled.thumb.jpg.c2580a2ada867f4aa0a14581b6f2ed7a.jpg

Edited by SNOW_JOKE
  • Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Coastal flooding in Ireland currently all down to Storm Eleanor (source @DN77)

Untitled.thumb.jpg.c2580a2ada867f4aa0a14581b6f2ed7a.jpg

image.png

Im not sure where that is but im hearing Galway coast receiving coastal flooding due to high tides and hurricane force gusts...

• Like 1

Posted

Yep that's Galway Docks, from someone who works in one of the offices close to the sea-front.

Posted

wow pretty bad it seems and Salthill getting hit hard as ever and some people leaving their vehicles in precarious places to the mercy of mother nature...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

The latest paper showing how low ice messes with the PV might come in useful over the rest of winter as exceptional warmth from the south runs into a displaced cold pole esp. if this keeps happening over the N.Atlantic ( just watch the eastern seaboard after we're through with this one!). The issue is not so much wind but the amounts of water vapour they bring ( up to 40kg/m2 this time!!) with them.

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/mtpw2/product.php?color_type=tpw_nrl_colors&prod=global2&timespan=24hrs&anim=html5

Folk who don't have this graphic might like to bookmark it and look where our atmospheric river is at the next few storms that come through!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

The latest paper showing how low ice messes with the PV might come in useful over the rest of winter as exceptional warmth from the south runs into a displaced cold pole esp. if this keeps happening over the N.Atlantic ( just watch the eastern seaboard after we're through with this one!). The issue is not so much wind but the amounts of water vapour they bring ( up to 40kg/m2 this time!!) with them.

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/mtpw2/product.php?color_type=tpw_nrl_colors&prod=global2&timespan=24hrs&anim=html5

Folk who don't have this graphic might like to bookmark it and look where our atmospheric river is at the next few storms that come through!

40 kg per cubic metre ? Are you shure 

Posted
8 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

40 kg per cubic metre ? Are you shure 

Forecast Image

That's what i read off this ( above).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

6:30 BBC Weather forecast, she showed 87mph gust, west Ireland, pretty close to Galway

Then she said 'storm force gusts'

Well, Hurricane force gusts really. lol

Posted
10 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Forecast Image

That's what i read off this ( above).

Exactly.. The current sst are still above normal they have all summer maybe longer.... You notice the pv grabs them like the lows in summer grab the hurricanes (if possible) the ones that form off of Eastern seaboard are are so much more vigorous than if they get grabbed or form inland. Southern states say.. They like hybrid systems cold core but deepen rapidly.. You know hurricanes survive in exactly the same place even before baroclonic strengthening or weakening..so its a great source for the pv to grab energy.. Which is why it's hard for any northern blocking when the jet is over that stretch of water.. If you get what I mean lol ? 

• Like 1

Posted

5a4bd5e279590_Precipitablewater1988toOct2016.thumb.jpg.3fe0f7c23ba88054a181acbd76fa3dc8.jpg

This was more like what i was trying to convey. the peak of the 98' super nino only managed half the potential that flooded us ( again) in 2015. This increase does mean if you get stuck under an atmospheric river for half a day you will see flooding, sit there for another half day and you'll fair as we did with an extra three feet of flooding on top of the last 'record'.

If we are to see the PV slipping south every winter then it will form systems that will drag up these 'atmospheric rivers' and position then over us like a hose from the Gods.

With a warmer world comes more energy in our weather systems and increases in the scale of events we see. 

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I think we've to get snow over 200m and that means me. I'd really hate to miss a good-going blizzard during the night when I'm sleeping :rofl:

Posted

The wind has calmed down here somewhat but still gust stormforce in showers...between 16:30 to 18:30 the winds were violent...a real short sharp shock to come for you folk in Britain, stay safe...

• Like 2

Posted

@Gray-Wolf was it an atmospheric river we received in December 2015? If memory serves me well, didnt we get 3 days of non stop rain dragged up from a moist jet stream... Winter of 2013/14 was incredible for storms being picked up on a powerful jet stream from new foundland, i remember the flooding being bad that winter...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Wind speeds/gusts are quite a bit higher than some of the latest model guidance would’ve had you believe! 90-100mph is quite a noteworthy event.