Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Eleanor - Atlantic Storm 5

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Sort of popped out of nowhere this one. Looks like noisy night coming up. First storm of the winter for us.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I wonder if the beebs forecast at 11pm on BBC 1 was pre-recorded much earlier in the evening as although they showed this low the forecaster never mentioned it was named

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

I wonder if the beebs forecast at 11pm on BBC 1 was pre-recorded much earlier in the evening as although they showed this low the forecaster never mentioned it was named

Possibly. I know the early morning ones before six o'clock are and can be quite wrong because of this.

Posted

FMI HIRLAM  shows a narrow band of intense inland gusts, up to 130 km/h.This could certainly cause some damage but in a limited area and it will be passing very quickly.

fmiuk-52-25-0_ztw3.png

Edited by radiohead

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

The BBC are forecasting a gust of 59mph for Leeds Wednesday morning. This is significant to me because they always underestimate wind gusts. I don't think I've ever seen a wind speed forecast that high before from the BBC.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
13 minutes ago, radiohead said:

FMI HIRLAM  shows a narrow band of intense inland gusts, up to 130 km/h.This could certainly cause some damage but in a limited area and it will be passing very quickly.

fmiuk-52-25-0_ztw3.png

Yes, short lived but could be pretty bad for coastal areas of north Lancashire, south Cumbria.

if it stays on that track, my location, although quite exposed at the head of the valley should be far enough south to miss the worst but a 50 mile southward shift and I’m right in the firing line.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Updated yellow warning

• East Midlands
  • East of England
  • London & South East England
  • North East England
  • North West England
  • Northern Ireland
  • SW Scotland, Lothian Borders
  • South West England
  • Strathclyde
  • Wales
  • West Midlands
  • Yorkshire & Humber

Between 18:00 Tue 2nd and 18:00 Wed 3rd

Storm Eleanor to bring very strong winds later Tuesday, continuing overnight and on Wednesday. The warning has been adjusted to bring the northern boundary southwards, and to combine with the warning previously in force for Wednesday. Public transport may be disrupted or canceled and some bridges are likely to be closed. Power cuts and disruption to other services (mobile phones for example) may also occur, while injuries from flying debris are possible. Combined with a period of high tides, it is likely that some western coastal communities will be affected by large waves and spray, and again there is a chance that injuries and danger to life could occur from large waves, or beach material being thrown on to seafronts and coastal properties.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

A deepening area of low pressure, now named Storm Eleanor, will track east across the centre of the UK. This will bring gales and severe gales to Northern Ireland and northern England late on Tuesday and overnight, clearing eastern England during Wednesday morning. The strong winds may clip southern Scotland, with continued uncertainty in the northern extent. Further south, severe gales affect western and southern coasts this evening and overnight, with a very squally feature bringing a short spell of intense rainfall and very strong gusts to some inland localities. Wednesday daytime sees a very blustery day, with squally gusts accompanying showers in many areas. Throughout this period, gusts of 60-70 mph are likely along exposed coasts, with the more exposed locations seeing gusts close to 80 mph. Inland gusts exceeding 60 mph are possible.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind, Thunder, Snow, warm sunshine!

60mph+ inland would certainly be something quite significant especially if anything like that occurs around London and the Home Counties, would put it on a par with Storm Doris.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry

Looks like I'll have to tie the bins down cos it's coming straight past my house!

just hope nobody is wild camping higher up

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Mokidugway said:

It would be very wild camping :p

aye in fact it would be more like sleeping in a kite!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

My town is on the coast, on a hill facing west in the area of strongest winds. This is going to be fun... 

Edited by SP1986
  • Like 1

Posted
49 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Can't imagine standing on black Combe in it ,lol

The Old Man has sustained winds of 60 mph with 74 mph gusts, which may be on the low side! Oh, and Snow, lots of snow!

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gctv31b50#?date=2018-01-03

Edited by JeffC
URL didn't copy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Looking forward to another standard autumn/winter weather event. 

Seems the fake news media will be going into overdrive shortly, telling us how a few twigs or a leaf on the railways or a puddle in the road will grind the country to a halt ;)

All I can say to mother nature is bring it on. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Looks like a ferocious storm this whistling through.......... gusting up already here in Lowestoft and she hasn't arrived yet.

Hurricane force gusts about to hit Ireland over next few hours

Edited by Lowestoft Tiler

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Increase in wind gusts on the latest GFS 12z for Norfolk tomorrow morning as storm Eleanor exits into the North Sea. Going to be blowing a severe gale around this area with damaging gusts I suspect. 

ukgust.png