Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

After a bitterly cold and snowy weekend in Tallinn, it’s back to the mild muck! I really hope we see some favourable blocking to the north east as we head into February, as this is vile!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Randomly brought a small glass vase, a new Yankee candle and a wine coloured woolly hat. Looking forward to spring, I think.:unknw:

The weather was damp and a bit blowy but mild. 

Bring on heavy thundery April showers, i say. 

Oh look the sun's just come out .

Edited by Dami

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

London now upto 13c, thats bonkers, we should be entering what is meant to be the coldest two weeks of the year, but have instead been mildest part of winter more often than not in the last 20 years.:doh:

I'm out most of tomorrow, that squall line looks bad, should I aim to being back home by the early afternoon I wonder?:cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
2 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

dreary dreary me what a dreary day with dreary weather:bad:

I hate it!:bad:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
9 minutes ago, snowray said:

London now upto 13c, thats bonkers, we should be entering what is meant to be the coldest two weeks of the year, but have instead been mildest part of winter more often than not in the last 20 years.:doh:

I'm out most of tomorrow, that squall line looks bad, should I aim to being back home by the early afternoon I wonder?:cc_confused:

Proper sick of british winters, with crappy south westerlies and double digit temps, will the jet stream shut down in the future and bring us cold from the east, i doubt it as easterlies are becoming extinct.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

Proper sick of british winters, with crappy south westerlies and double digit temps, will the jet stream shut down in the future and bring us cold from the east, i doubt it as easterlies are becoming extinct.

No need to worry: there is a blizzard expected on Day 49...Now that prediction really is a mass-ejection from Uranus!:crazy:

Posted
1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

All we ever get is the phantom easterly at D10 or D12. might get it down to D7 but then it simply slips away just to our southeast and ends up over Italy and Greece, and Turkey gets its dumping of snow, so does Jerusalem and Syria, poor Syria, the last thing they need right now is cold and snow!:cray:

Oh Yh. the D49 blizzard, but by then if it does turn up it will be April so will be a blizzard of sleet, and a slushy mess. Went to the pub with a mate yesterday for a game of darts and he knows I'm a bit of a snow freak, he was asking why it snows all over the UK but its always rain here or the slushy mess at best. Temp. always seem to be 1c or 1.5c too high of course, we get close but its all about altitude, Chilterns do best and around Luton because they are so high up. Time to move, like S Murr did up a hill.

• Like 3

Posted
16 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

No need to worry: there is a blizzard expected on Day 49...Now that prediction really is a mass-ejection from Uranus!:crazy:

has there been a mass ejection of filaments from uranus that have ruined piers weather predictions

• Like 1

Posted

I moved out of town on top of the local hills last year and it has worked in so much as we get more frosts. We also had a light covering of snow in December, when down in town they have had nothing this winter.

I also lived up here in February 2010 when we had our last proper streamer event...had a foot of snow while there was just two or three inches down in town.

I’d love to see a decent easterly or Ne’ly flow again. Much better than the foggy, damp and windy weather we have now!

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

I moved out of town on top of the local hills last year and it has worked in so much as we get more frosts. We also had a light covering of snow in December, when down in town they have had nothing this winter.

I also lived up here in February 2010 when we had our last proper streamer event...had a foot of snow while there was just two or three inches down in town.

I’d love to see a decent easterly or Ne’ly flow again. Much better than the foggy, damp and windy weather we have now!

i need a hill by the sounds of things

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

IT HASNT STOPPED RAINING ALL DAY. I KNOW ITS SILLY FINR DRIZZLE BUT WHEN WILL IT JUST STOP. On a different note. the wind tomorrow. on here ive seen it being forecast as being 50-75mph but there is no weather warning for the SE AGAIN. Is the wind forecast tomorrow not supposed to be as bad as first thought. going to be nice having that in the middle of the day

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Dreary day here, grey, breezy and not feeling especially mild, considering it is 11C. Chanced going to my allotment, despite the forecast. Glad I did, as it hasn’t rained at all and I’ve got quite a lot done.

Ooh  fab, hoping to get up to mine this Sunday.  Don't know what novelty thing to grow this year, thinking about blue pumpkins.

Five weeks of winter left...I wonder what it will bring?

Edited by Team Squirrel
  • Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

omg i'm just going out to buy bread and milk before the panic buying starts. :cold: it was really icy rain this morning and i got soaked on the way to work despite the umbrella.

• Like 1

Posted

The easterly signal is already starting to wane. I know it’s for 2 week’s time, but once it starts to fade it rarely returns. If we miss this opportunity, it’s game over for our already crap winter down here. I know most have seen some wet snow, but apart from that, I’ve barely seen a decent frost here. It’s been another abysmal winter for us! 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Team Squirrel said:

Ooh  fab, hoping to get up to mine this Sunday.  Don't know what novelty thing to grow this year, thinking about blue pumpkins.

Five weeks of winter left...I wonder what it will bring?

Ooh, blue pumpkins sound exotic. Will they be Queensland Blues? Not grown or tasted them before, what are they like? I’ve just received delivery of 2 packets of Victorian Colossal Climbing Pea seeds, they are supposed to be the sweetest pea and not prone to the dreaded Pea Moth. We shall see. No idea what the rest of winter will bring, I hope we get a proper cold and snow spell to kill off the ‘flu going around and stop all the endless daily moaning on here! 

Posted
4 hours ago, lottiekent said:

Yes the high ground inland between Dover and Folkestone can do very well on these Kent streamers, probably the best location for snow in the SE but the conditions, IE a NEly or Ely with cold uppers of at least -8c are becoming pretty scarce. Having said this you will get your foot of snow from time to time when the rest of us will have only a few inches at best.

Edited by snowray
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

It’s funny how a pleasant day with a chance for the ground to dry out is classed as “Dreary” 

Yet more soaking rain saturating an already saturated ground and wind gusts of 40-50mph is classed as super duper. 

I know what I class as dreary. 

Edited by Ben Lewis
  • Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

It’s funny how a pleasant day with a chance for the ground to dry out is classed as “Dreary” 

Yet more soaking rain saturating an already saturated ground and wind gusts of 40-50mph is classed as super duper. 

I know what I class as dreary. 

I just want a nice cold high with sunny days and frosty nights, but even that’s too much to ask down here these days!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
26 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

I just want a nice cold high with sunny days and frosty nights, but even that’s too much to ask down here these days!

I’d like that for 70% of winter! It’s been rare in many recent winters.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I’d like that for 70% of winter! It’s been rare in many recent winters.

I’m with you there! I love the very cold and frosty mornings with the trees covered in rime ❄️

Edited by CK1981
  • Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

I’m with you there! I love the very cold and frosty mornings with the trees covered in rime ❄️

Totally agree. It’s my favourite weather type in winter, especially if there’s some freezing fog too. Some will find it ‘boring’ no doubt, but imho it’s miles better than cloud, wind and rain.

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
6 hours ago, Dami said:

Randomly brought a small glass vase, a new Yankee candle and a wine coloured woolly hat. Looking forward to spring, I think.:unknw:

The weather was damp and a bit blowy but mild. 

Bring on heavy thundery April showers, i say. 

Oh look the sun's just come out .

I love a Yankee! What scent did you get?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
3 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I love a Yankee! What scent did you get?

I got 'Clean cotton' . Loved the 3 I brought at Christmas :)

Posted
13 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Totally agree. It’s my favourite weather type in winter, especially if there’s some freezing fog too. Some will find it ‘boring’ no doubt, but imho it’s miles better than cloud, wind and rain.

And certainly better than dull and mild....like today!

• Like 1