Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
45 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

The temperatures over there will slowly decrease, and I don't expect the high to be pushed aside. The cold is coming, I just hope people are ready for it.

You sound very sure about that alex, how come?

Hope your right anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Chilly morning here with brisk NE’ly winds. Some sunshine and passing clouds, it’s dry and currently 4C.

Posted

Way too much nonsense and disposable one liners in the MOD thread today which ,makes it very difficult to understand what the weather may or may not be in the next few days.

Reminds me a bit of the old bbc forum which is a shame as there are a few really good posters in here that do make it worth reading from time to time. 

As I work outdoors I rely quite heavily on forecasts but I guess I may just as well watch the bbc weather forecasts to get some idea .

Out on my bike this morning the wind felt raw so I guess the coming week is going to be cold down in East Sussex ?

• Like 2

Posted
51 minutes ago, whitespike said:

Way too much nonsense and disposable one liners in the MOD thread today which ,makes it very difficult to understand what the weather may or may not be in the next few days.

Reminds me a bit of the old bbc forum which is a shame as there are a few really good posters in here that do make it worth reading from time to time

As I work outdoors I rely quite heavily on forecasts but I guess I may just as well watch the bbc weather forecasts to get some idea .

Out on my bike this morning the wind felt raw so I guess the coming week is going to be cold down in East Sussex ?

With reference to your comment that I have put in bold above, you are quite right, there are some excellent posters in the MODT but it is hard to find the quality among the, as you put it, 'nonsense' that appears so much at this time of year. It is very frustrating for those of us on the forum year-round. I suggested once to Paul that it would be great if there could be a 'follow' system, similar to Twitter, where we could follow the good posters without having to trawl through the lesser quality posts. it would however be rather difficult to put in place, and obviously would risk missing out on good quality posters as they emerge. 

Back to the weather, and it was a very stiff breeze feeling as if it came from the east along Sandbanks beach yesterday, absolutely bitter, but very bracing. This morning in Surbiton it is mostly blue skies with a few clouds. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Chilly breeze but lovely and sunny here, 6c.:)

Will be turning less cold tomorrow.

Turning into one of the worst winters in my location, granted there is 6 weeks of winter left but at least for the foreseeable it looks pretty boring. 

Even the last dire winters have been better than this cold wise. It's not even been that cold here at the half way point in winter. No idea why we expect much different in the tropical south. 

Unless something changes this is a pretty poor winter in my eyes. I've had about 9 frosts 2 falling snow days which didn't settle and turned into boring cold wet days. 

Winter is fast become my least favourite season. It once was my favourite alongside summer but now summer takes centre stage heat hunting and looking for the proper storms.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Turning into one of the worst winters in my location, granted there is 6 weeks of winter left but at least for the foreseeable it looks pretty boring. 

Even the last dire winters have been better than this cold wise. It's not even been that cold here at the half way point in winter. No idea why we expect much different in the tropical south. 

Unless something changes this is a pretty poor winter in my eyes. I've had about 9 frosts 2 falling snow days which didn't settle and turned into boring cold wet days. 

Winter is fast become my least favourite season. It once was my favourite alongside summer but now summer takes centre stage heat hunting and looking for the proper storms.

at least you were spoilt with two snow days . thats two more then me:rofl:

Edited by PLANET THANET

Posted
2 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Pretty useless though, watching it fall from the sky for hours on end and still have mud and soaking ground doesn't do it for me rather have a mild day than that if I'm honest 

yes, at least we didnt have to watch the snow fall in hope, to then see it disappear.

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Surrey said:

I totally agree, it’s been dire for us! If we only have cold zonality to look forward to, I’d rather have a cold high, like last January. Who wants wet snow (at best) which never sticks around.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, James Oliver said:

Well this is boring. 

Dry and cool, not cool enough. 

Exactly! We have a north easterly flow with average temperatures. You couldn’t make it up.

Posted
Just now, CK1981 said:

Exactly! We have a north easterly flow with average temperatures. You couldn’t make it up.

The next two days.... Grey and gloomy... 6 degrees. URGH! 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, James Oliver said:

The next two days.... Grey and gloomy... 6 degrees. URGH! 

Vile! Pumping up warm uppers from Europe and a miserable cover of stratus. No thanks ?

Posted
2 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

Vile! Pumping up warm uppers from Europe and a miserable cover of stratus. No thanks ?

Gross. Just gross. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, James Oliver said:

Gross. Just gross. 

It would be better to have a cold high over us with crisp sunny days and bitter cold nights.

Edited by CK1981
  • Like 1

Posted

It will be vile alright.:bad:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 minute ago, snowray said:

It will be vile alright.:bad:

I'm still not so sure about that.

Posted

Look at them uppers moving in on our easterly, you couldn't make it up could you, you wait for ages for an easterly and then this is what you get.:wallbash:

18010806_0706.gif

18010809_0706.gif

18010815_0706.gif

18010818_0706.gif

18010821_0706.gif

18010900_0706.gif

18010903_0706.gif

18010906_0706.gif

Edited by snowray

Posted
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

I'm still not so sure about that.

Are you using the Tealeaves method or the Seagulls method there Alex? Surely anything is better than the models right now.:):laugh:

Posted
9 minutes ago, snowray said:

Look at them uppers moving in on our easterly, you couldn't make it up could you, you wait for ages for an easterly and then this is what you get.:wallbash:

18010806_0706.gif

18010809_0706.gif

18010815_0706.gif

18010818_0706.gif

18010821_0706.gif

18010900_0706.gif

18010903_0706.gif

18010906_0706.gif

Warmer uppers than off the Atlantic ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
7 minutes ago, snowray said:

Are you using the Tealeaves method or the Seagulls method there Alex? Surely anything is better than the models right now.:):laugh:

I'm just looking at how this winter has been, and listening to older folk who think this feels like a classic winter. I really do expect things to get rather ugly/improve immensely for cold soon. I'm probably wrong, but I do agree that this winter has been different to recent ones.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, CK1981 said:

Warmer uppers than off the Atlantic ?

Some on here are saying it will still FEEL cold, I don't give two hoots what it will feel like, thats mad stuff, +10c uppers there over Northern Germany. The colder air seems to want to move back in by Weds though.