Local
Radar
Snow?

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Posted
    4 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

I'm in East Grinstead today

First proper snow shower rather than a flurry. Nice to see some big flakes

I’m flying from Gatwick at 4 pm today. Does anyone think there will be any flight disruptions due to snow?  I’m guessing not, but would like to get your (more knowledgeable) opinions 

• Like 1
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 5.5k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If everyone on here could be friendly and (ideally) find a sense of humour, that would just be hunky dorey.

So just to clarify CK1981 because I have not seen you say this 2,350 times in the last 136 pages of this thread you think there will be something interesting around Mid Month ??? Dont want to go to be

Have nade my first mini snow man. First in 5 years.

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe thunderstorms
    3 minutes ago, snoangel said:

I’m flying from Gatwick at 4 pm today. Does anyone think there will be any flight disruptions due to snow?  I’m guessing not, but would like to get your (more knowledgeable) opinions 

More than 99% sure there will be no problems at all, not reaching that far inland, showers will die through the day anyway, you should be ? 

Posted
  • Location: Canmore, AB [4296ft above sea level] & North Kent [350ft above sea level]
  • Location: Canmore, AB [4296ft above sea level] & North Kent [350ft above sea level]
    8 minutes ago, shotski said:

Breaking news on Heart FM 

Big freeze set to continue with temperatures not getting above 6 degrees and dropping to -3 tonight ????

I'm worried I'll freeze to death on my way home tonight lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy, wintry weather
    5 minutes ago, snoangel said:

My daughter drove to Gatwick, at 6.30 this morning and encountered no problems, just a light snow shower at Godstone and a flurry, at the airport, when she arrived, These wintry showers, should die out, by early afternoon, as we lose the NE/ENE flow.

Regards,

Tom.

• Like 1
    Posted
    58 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The Carol Kirkwood forecast might be in relation to a wave developing on the front .

On iPad so can’t put pic up but take a look at the T48 hrs fax chart.

This one?

fax.gif

Would the low heading North on the continent have any influence on it?

Edited by Chris101
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

A friend saw two flakes of snow in Worthing earlier this morning, allegedly. 

1.2c out there but feels warmer as there's not a lot of wind! Dew point -1. 

72 minutes precisely until some rain, according to Accuweather, though looking at the radar I don't see how this conclusion has been reached! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Moderate to heavy snow with big flakes in Hailsham.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Location: Ditchling East Sussex , on the South Downs 12 miles North of Brighton
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , Sun and lightning
  • Location: Ditchling East Sussex , on the South Downs 12 miles North of Brighton

Really heavy snow in Alfriston , East Sussex big flakes complete white out 

Edited by therecoil
    Posted

Wondered why the Model Thread was so quiet this morning, then it hit me ?? glad to see a lot of you getting in on some snow action at last ??

Posted

I live in Rustington (God's waiting room), and can confirm that the few flakes observed in Worthing migrated further West much to the amusement of my son.

One day we will get a channel low, fingers crossed

Posted
    28 minutes ago, snoangel said:

Well I can see Gatwick airport from my window and there's no snow lying and the planes are flying fine!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , Sun and lightning

Heavy snow settling fast in Alfriston now 

Posted

This so called cold spell is pathetic! Frost and Slight dusting of snow overnight, melted away before 10am. We finally have the uppers, but at the surface it's still far too mild. 

Even if anything falls from that front tomorrow, I just can't get excited when it'll be gone within an hour or two. 

• Like 1
    Posted

the weather in Worthing is about as exciting as the town itself :nonono:

Edited by WeatherMoose
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Snowing again in northiam,but not causing any problems yet,nice to see the fields etc with a covering,would love this to be warm up this week for the main event lol

Posted
    20 minutes ago, therecoil said:

Really heavy snow in Alfriston , East Sussex big flakes complete white out 

What makes it surreal is that them big flakes  lag so far behind the parent shower that it's still coming down here with blue sky.. The original shower is proberly in Sussex and I still got fluffy stragglers falling :-) 

Edited by TN9
    • Like 2
    Posted

the sun is making an appearance now and it is quite warm behind glass

edit   it also looks on the radar as though the showers are now dying out over us

Edited by PLANET THANET
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Well that snowy spell was about as exciting as Theresa May popping round for tea. 

Onto the next one!

Posted
    43 minutes ago, Justin123 said:

Exactly what I’m saying. the GFS is rather inaccurate, the closer it is, in my experience it’s better the longer term forecasting. I prefer arpeggios and stone for 24hours ahead and of course radar watching, but if it did come of we would be looking at several cm’s as you say due to the slow movement of any precipitation. 

Looks to me like a fizzling front, with any thunder etc reserved for showers following behind in the NW of the UK. From the few bits of modelling I’ve seen. Dear old Carol Kirkwood - let’s hope she’s right. 

• Like 1

Actually a surprisingly pleasant morning, a little bit crisp but other than that just standard winter weather - no sign of any snow in our parts of the SE and can't see anything other than the odd snow shower for those away from Kent and Sussex. Not sure what the fuss was about over the last few days but always nice to see some sunshine! :)