Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Well this is a complete bust, it's been this way pretty much all winter so far stretching back to 2010 :(

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I'm feeling positive tonight, it's 0.7 degrees and falling, the sky is crystal clear and the the blobs approaching on the radar are getting bigger, closer and starting to turn pink just upwind of me.

And the best isn't forecast to reach me till tomorrow morning. So all in all, glass half full.

Fingers crossed.

Posted
  • Location: Gravesend (by the thames) and work Borough Green deliveries on job around the South east
  • Weather Preferences: Snow November to March. Heat and sun late April to early October
  • Location: Gravesend (by the thames) and work Borough Green deliveries on job around the South east
9 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Why do these things always seem to happen overnight? Why never during the day when I'm going to be awake and ready anyway

I do think though we would already have had our snow cover possibly if those marginal events that came in the day particularly 10th December one had happened in the early hours rather than at lunch time when south of our region had sleet and rain

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

Well this is a complete bust, it's been this way pretty much all winter so far stretching back to 2010 :(

I did say all along this would be a normal cold spell. Funny how those who bashed me are nowhere to be seen. 

Snow for some over the next few days, then standard winter weather, followed by something much colder mid month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
9 minutes ago, jright35 said:

There’s gonna be a lot of dissaponted people here tomorrow morning!

Is that because we’ll wake up and realise it’s Monday morning?

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, James Oliver said:

Heavy snow shower between Folkestone and Ashford on M20

to the batmobile....

(or snowmobile!)

Edited by bobbydog
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Temps here 0.8c

d.p. -1c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
Just now, CK1981 said:

I did say all along this would be a normal cold spell. Funny how those who bashed me are nowhere to be seen. 

Snow for some over the next few days, then standard winter weather, followed by something much colder mid month.

Never disagreed with you to be honest :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!
Just now, CK1981 said:

Really, you’re claiming victory at 8pm the night BEFORE the snow is meant to arrive?

Honestly.

Posted
Just now, Neilsouth said:

Never disagreed with you to be honest :)

I know you didn’t. I’m not being smug, but after all the grief I got, just wanted to highlight it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!

Can confirm we have very light snow here!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
1 minute ago, CK1981 said:

Depends what you call normal.

I, and I imagine many in here, haven’t seen ANY settling snow for 5 years and there is a reasonable chance of this happening for some of us snow starved SEers.

Yes, mediocre compared to the 2009 to 2013 era but as each year goes by I realise how exceptional that period was.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, throwoff said:

Really, you’re claiming victory at 8pm the night BEFORE the snow is meant to arrive?

Honestly.

I’m not claiming any victory as that would be childish. I said this would be a standard cold spell. Yes, some will have snow, but the overall spell for the week ahead is rather standard. I’ve never said anything otherwise. 

Also, if this cold spell results in a small area of Kent as the result of a localised streamer, it’s hardly special for the remaining 90% of the region 

Edited by CK1981

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..
1 minute ago, Darkcloud said:

Can confirm we have very light snow here!!

Where abouts in east sussex?

Posted
Just now, lawrenk said:

Depends what you call normal.

I, and I imagine many in here, haven’t seen ANY settling snow for 5 years and there is a reasonable chance of this happening for some of us snow starved SEers.

Yes, mediocre compared to the 2009 to 2013 era but as each year goes by I realise how exceptional that period was.

Just a standard winter cold spell. Yes, we’ve had crappy winters, but this sort of spell is quite normal 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

WELL just seen the beeb  forecast for here rye and its back to light snow early hours of the morning, WHAT IS GOING ON

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

For those members, in the Thames Corridor area, most model afternoon runs show the NE flow turning towards the ENE. around midnight or soon after, although the flow by then wont be that strong, It's still possible though , for some sleet/snow showers, to move along the Thames Corridor and give a light dusting, to these parts.  If the flow remains NE, the preferred landing zone, would be Mid-Kent to E,Sussex. again giving a covering, as dew points fall, generally,

Those of you radar watching, may start to see the flow, changing direction, later in the evening. Tell tale radar profile to look for would be, a break in the ppn streamer, from the NE > SW, to more of a E > W, movement If this is going to occur, look out for a change in the orientation of the ppn streamer first, in the top right hand corner, of the Dutch radar grabs.

Does any member know where I can find the Gatwick TAF, for early tomorrow morning? My daughter and boyfriend, are driving down to Gatwick, at 6.30, in the morning, from the Bromley area. I saw a post earlier today, stating that all London airports had been warned of overnight/morning snowfall, resulting in possible disruption to flights.

I told my daughter, that I thought they should be alright, as Gatwick is quite sheltered from the NE/ENE.

If someone could find the Gatwick TAF, I would much appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
1 minute ago, CK1981 said:

Just a standard winter cold spell. Yes, we’ve had crappy winters, but this sort of spell is quite normal 

Wintry mix perfectly describes this year. Had a few snow days but no real cold spell.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

2.6c with -3 dew point .

freeze baby freeze 

Posted

Holland on sea Essex

It's +3 here at the moment with a stiff N/East wind backing round to an Easterly at times.

The North sea must be  above the normal temperature for this time of year.

But then cold air over a warm sea will boost the showers,but at the moment  there is no sign

Of them on the radar for the East coast

• Like 1