IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

that rules me out  lol

That’s probably a good thing.

met office tells me that there’s a chance of daily snow up until Thursday in Brighton. Nothing too heavy though, if it gets past sleet 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
2 minutes ago, c00ps said:

Are you expectig the met office to update their warning? I’m still surprised it hasn’t changed in 15 hours or so 

Don't see the need for them to be updated. The forecast area and amounts are still what I imagine will happen. 

It's sad that we are getting excited about some dandruff blowing in off the north sea. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme
4 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Indeed. I've just arranged my laptop screen so that it reflects an image of the nearest lamppost...I don't even need to leave my chair...Lazy or what!:crazy:

If someone just happenee ti stumble on that post and didnt know this was a weather forum...theyd be calling the men in the white coats...

Hillarious :-)

Posted
1 minute ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

It's sad that we are getting excited about some dandruff blowing in off the north sea. 

It’s not sad, it’s harmless, nerdy and... fun ?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
Just now, Alpine glow said:

It’s not sad, it’s harmless, nerdy and... fun ?

It says so much about how rubbish winters have become in the SE. We wouldn't even have been discussing such weather in the 80s! 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, c00ps said:

Are you expectig the met office to update their warning? I’m still surprised it hasn’t changed in 15 hours or so 

They won’t change anything unless something develops over a wider area. If we only get showers from the current predicted streamers, I think the warnings will stay confined to the current areas.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

If there was a forum dedicated to the strangest things that people do I think lamp post watching would win hands down...I can imagine the TV interviews...

Interviewer...

So..Mr(s) Smith...Tell us what you do..

Interviewee...Well I rearranged my room so that if I lay down in my bed and open the curtains I can see the lamp post.

Interviewer....riggghhhhttttt..and then what do you do ?

Interviewee...I.look at it...

Interviewer ...but why do you look at it??

Interviewee....to see if its snowing.

??????

Edited by EML Network
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

It says so much about how rubbish winters have become in the SE. We wouldn't even have been discussing such weather in the 80s! 

Yep. Those were the days. We are still waiting. I’d probably kill myself if I bombed it down a hill on a tray now though ?

edit: confused current tense with past. Don’t ask 

Edited by Alpine glow
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

@Surrey, have you seen how far west these showers are?

A few developed around Reading and I see some near Oxford too.

It bodes well for you.

bear in mind folks the warning only actives 8PM tonight the day is very young currently we’re seeing the cold upper temps filtering through the lower atmosphere it isn’t an instant process. By sunset it should be largely snow for most. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Good to see showers developing a little more widely than forecast, more areas may see a dusting of snow overnight. Though hopefully the temperature will go down quickly, it’s 5C currently in the manor which isn’t very cold. 

Made it to Prague safely, chilly here at 2C with a dusting of snow here and there.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Curse the ruddy temps and dew points,its bloody winter

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 minutes ago, FiftyShadesofWine said:

Interviewers next question...How long have you been looking at the lamppost...??

Interviewee.....Only since 2010......

I,m sure I've been looking at lampposts much longer than that lol. Only in the winter when I feel it may snow though. Best way to see it fall at night, and you can't beat the calmness it installs or the beauty of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

shower past with a last hoorah in the form of a bit more sleet, but at least seen some brief snow today.:pardon:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

my lamp post has been tampered with, gone is the warm orange glowy lighting, now replaced with bright white crud

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow
1 hour ago, Hotspur61 said:

Temp now upto 6.5 here in Locksbottom although with windchill feels colder.BBC app at 11am said Light snow from 5am-11am tomorrow now just looked at it again and says light snow at 5am and thats it:cc_confused:!!Shows how difficult it is to predict snow lol.I think those to East of me and South East are more likely to see showers and really need a more Easterly element of wind to come into play as current NE wind reduces chances of snow to those in this thread.We shall see how it develops!!

Just to prove my point just out of curiosity looked at BBC app 2 mins ago and shows light snow 4am-noon with heavy snow 9-11am tomorrow lol.You couldn't make it up:D.

Temp dropped to 5.8 now.Come on the snow and good luck to everyone.btw that blob over Northern France is only about 80miles South now on last Model run-Would great if that could come into play tomorrow/Tuesday.Still a long shot for now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)
12 minutes ago, EML Network said:

If there was a forum dedicated to the strangest things that people do I think lamp post watching would win hands down...I can imagine the TV interviews...

Interviewer...

So..Mr(s) Smith...Tell us what you do..

Interviewee...Well I rearranged my room so that if I lay down in my bed and open the curtains I can see the lamp post.

Interviewer....riggghhhhttttt..and then what do you do ?

Interviewee...I.look at it...

Interviewer ...but why do you look at it??

Interviewee....to see if its snowing.

??????

I’m in the best position I have massive French doors with a little light out to the garden. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
2 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

my lamp post has been tampered with, gone is the warm orange glowy lighting, now replaced with bright white crud

Same here! it’s No where near as good for watching any form of precipitation falling, and is less effective in general. 

Edited by LightningLover

Posted
11 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Good to see showers developing a little more widely than forecast, more areas may see a dusting of snow overnight. Though hopefully the temperature will go down quickly, it’s 5C currently in the manor which isn’t very cold. 

Made it to Prague safely, chilly here at 2C with a dusting of snow here and there.

I love Prague!

Have a great time and enjoy that Czech lager ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Enjoy Prague mate,great city.

Interesting you say its 2c there.I have always said we cannot expext anything too spectacular here in SE if temps ate above freezing on mainland Europe in early February. Most of Europe apart from scandanavia above freezing.

• Like 1