Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
    5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I think that some of them might be trolling for 'likes', lass? Some of what they say reads like twaddle: it's going to snow; the PV is on its way; watch this space...Thank goodness we have some real pros, and ex-pros, on here!:good:

Agree with you there, the mod thread should be moved to the lounge:oops:

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 5.5k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If everyone on here could be friendly and (ideally) find a sense of humour, that would just be hunky dorey.

So just to clarify CK1981 because I have not seen you say this 2,350 times in the last 136 pages of this thread you think there will be something interesting around Mid Month ??? Dont want to go to be

Have nade my first mini snow man. First in 5 years.

Posted Images

Posted

Afternoon all :)

I don't often post in my "Home" thread. Here in lowland East London, we've had one fall of snow (a couple of inches) in December and two instances of falling but non-settling snow since so the best since 2013 by any measure. Living in the urban heat island, getting snow to settle is hard - watching it fall and not settle much easier. 

I'm not expecting snow to settle in my location this week but I expect to see it fall and I expect people who live further out and higher up to get a covering (and perhaps more). I also see the milder evolution has been pushed back again so if not the brutal cold some on here seem to want or expect (I think there could be some very cold nights) solidly below average this week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Gruapel shower here, Aycliffe Dover, last one was rain, getting colder.

Changed to sleet now, well ice but not gruapel

Edited by alexisj9
    • Like 2
    Posted
  • Location: Canmore, AB [4296ft above sea level] & North Kent [350ft above sea level]
  • Location: Canmore, AB [4296ft above sea level] & North Kent [350ft above sea level]
    6 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

If you’re very lucky and see shower after shower, they do appear set to to be of a decent intensity I’m going for a localised 10cm more widely 2-4cm those in west of region can’t see much if any. 

0D03F065-340F-4D46-BB8D-56C7BD8F3F27.thumb.png.c2c190c532c2c04dff223917b2596ae0.png

Off anyone sees 10cm’s I’ll run naked in it and post a pic ? 

I think dusting to maybe 4-5cm max if the showers keep hitting same spot ❄️

Posted
    18 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Max temperatures on Tues and Wed *should* be 3-4C across our region

well BBC always seem to over estimate temps for some reason .met office have max temps of 3 c in se mon and BBC 6 c ,why such a difference 

Posted
    Just now, SLEETY said:

well BBC always seem to over estimate temps for some reason .met office have max temps of 3 c in se mon and BBC 6 c ,why such a difference 

It will be 6c at the top of the steps to Oxford Circus tube station 

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
    1 minute ago, SLEETY said:

And yet in the summer they seem to under-estimate the maximum temperatures, it's really rather odd. I'm bored and feel like I'm wasting my day off so I'm heading down into Margate for a drive, I know it's not exactly the best location to see snow but, nevermind!

Edited by Daniel Smith
    Posted

Temperature has dropped from 5.3C to 4.7C here with a brisk wind making it feel a lot colder :cold:

Posted
    8 minutes ago, c00ps said:

Off anyone sees 10cm’s I’ll run naked in it and post a pic ? 

I think dusting to maybe 4-5cm max if the showers keep hitting same spot ❄️

Showers falling through the night some areas will see little interruption into the morning. Think it’s common sense some will see more than what they’ve bargained. 

Edited by Daniel*
    Posted
    12 hours ago, lassie23 said:

anywhere in the warning zone could see 1-3cm maybe a bit more maybe less 

id take 2cm ?

• Like 1
    Posted

Fluctuating between 3-4 degrees here. 

Showers are now sleet and large wet snow flakes, less and less rain each time it seems now. 

Posted
    6 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Showers falling through the night some areas will see little interruption into the morning. Think it’s common sense some will see more than what they’ve bargained. 

I do hope so ?

Posted

A balmy(ish) 5c in south Norwich, bit of sunshine, rather nice compared to the past few days of 2/3c. Calm before the snowstorm me hopes.

• Like 1
    Posted
    15 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

It will be 6c at the top of the steps to Oxford Circus tube station 

Euro4 has a high of 3C even in London tomorrow. The temps projected are for the bin. 

7DE771FF-648C-4B41-B5F4-46AC0BED58C0.thumb.gif.73fe76a9bd3139f7d080e1f8889862d7.gif

Posted

Just to add some perspective here. When I was in Tallinn last month we had continuous moderate to heavy snow for 10 hours. In that time approximately 8cm accumulated. Air temperatures never rose above -4c during the snow.

Yes, it’s possible some areas will see several centimetres, but they will have to be in the sweet spot and showers will have to be continuous for many hours.

Edited by CK1981
    Posted
    25 minutes ago, stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

I don't often post in my "Home" thread. Here in lowland East London, we've had one fall of snow (a couple of inches) in December and two instances of falling but non-settling snow since so the best since 2013 by any measure. Living in the urban heat island, getting snow to settle is hard - watching it fall and not settle much easier. 

I'm not expecting snow to settle in my location this week but I expect to see it fall and I expect people who live further out and higher up to get a covering (and perhaps more). I also see the milder evolution has been pushed back again so if not the brutal cold some on here seem to want or expect (I think there could be some very cold nights) solidly below average this week.

Hi, you did very well there on the 10th I’m only ~3 miles to your south and I was on the cusp of something good. Quite painful now I think about it how close it was. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
    10 minutes ago, Lampostwatcher said:

anywhere in the warning zone could see 1-3cm maybe a bit more maybe less 

id take 2cm ?

lol if i get some then so will you, you're only 20 bus stops away from me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms
    Just now, CK1981 said:

Just to add some perspective here. When I was in Tallinn last month we had continuous moderate to heavy snow for 10 hours. In that time approximately 8cm accumulated. Air temperatures never rose above -4c during the snow.

Yes, it’s possible some areas will see severel centimetres, but they would have to be in the sweet spot and showers would have to be continuous for many hours.

Yeah it’s the same when we go to Lapland skiing. No marginality up there?. The snow is dryer and small so accumulation is slower. 5cm I think will be max for the area. I’m hoping for a covering but fear my area will miss the main band of showers 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Another hefty shower in northiam,more snow flakes in this one,looking forward to later

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Showers are now falling as rain in Hastings after the snow flurries of this morning. Should see these turn back to snow as the colder air digs in and the sun starts to go down later this afternoon.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
    10 minutes ago, James Oliver said:

Fluctuating between 3-4 degrees here. 

Showers are now sleet and large wet snow flakes, less and less rain each time it seems now. 

I need to move lol, getting graupel and sleet here mostly, although a few flakes near the end of the last one.

• Like 1
    Posted
    3 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

Yes, it’s possible some areas will see severel centimetres, but they will have to be in the sweet spot and showers will have to be continuous for many hours.

It was probably very fine snow, that does not accumulate quickly. Whereas we here, rarely do we see powder snow bigger flakes accumulates more quickly. 

• Like 1
    Posted
    2 hours ago, danm said:

Maybe it’s just becuase I was in and out of the car, but it didn’t feel that cold outside. 

What are the 850 temps meant to be currently over our region?

-8 generally 

9D8A53A4-62E5-4A17-B451-BE0C97E92B04.thumb.gif.5cf52d0f22a04755f3b061e70e848628.gif

Posted
    3 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

It was probably very fine snow, that does not accumulate quickly. Whereas we here, rarely do we see powder snow bigger flakes accumulates more quickly. 

Yes, it was very fine, so it did accumulate more slowly. The snow was very heavy at times though with whiteout conditions. It was continuous all day.

Edited by CK1981
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms
    Just now, CK1981 said:

Yes, it was very fine, so it did accumulate more slowly. The snow was very heavy at times though with whiteout conditions. It was continuous all day though.

Meant to be a great place Tallinn 

• Like 1