Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
11 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Love the end of the GEM that is Thames streamer territory.. unfortunately I doubt it will look like that @ t0 

gem-2-240.png?00gem-1-240.png?00gem-0-240.png?00

The lake effect coming out of the Netherlands would be cracking with them 850's on the coast.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 hours ago, yamkin said:

Get better soon

Thank you, not been a pleasant few days, just like the weather. Another wet, grotty day here.

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted

Just managed to get indoors before torrential icy rain, raw in the wind, miserable.but i had a lovely hot oxo broth waiting which i made yesterday, just the thing for this weather.:)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

The latest GFS 12z increases winds further tomorrow morning across the north of our region. North Norfolk looks set for a fairly dangerous wind storm with widespread severe gales. This is going to be more like storm Doris I feel with a fair few trees downed and structural damage to buildings. 

h850t850eu.png

ukgust.png

7 minutes ago, Lowestoft Tiler said:

The latest GFS 12z increases winds further tomorrow morning across the north of our region. North Norfolk looks set for a fairly dangerous wind storm with widespread severe gales. This is going to be more like storm Doris I feel with a fair few trees downed and structural damage to buildings. 

h850t850eu.png

ukgust.png

As it happens the Arome and Arpege have also up scaled the wind over our region. 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Surrey said:

As it happens the Arome and Arpege have also up scaled the wind over our region. 

Looking a tad nasty for the morning across most areas now with widespread strong gales and damaging gusts. I really think Lincolnshire and Norfolk will see some violent wind gusts around 9 AM tomorrow. Maybe this is Doris twin sister........the terrible two!!

• Like 2

Just now, Lowestoft Tiler said:

Looking a tad nasty for the morning across most areas now with widespread strong gales and damaging gusts. I really think Lincolnshire and Norfolk will see some violent wind gusts around 9 AM tomorrow. Maybe this is Doris twin sister........the terrible two!!

My interest will be with any squall lines or heavy intense showers that will really enhance winds even further inland 

• Like 3

Posted

Another throughly miserable day here, more rain and even though radar not showing it, still heavy drizzle now. Winds have also picked up in the last hour, the morning dog walk could be interesting, watching out for flying tree branches. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Surrey said:

My interest will be with any squall lines or heavy intense showers that will really enhance winds even further inland 

Absolutely, more often than not these are damaging wind gusts in there nature when transported down from higher latitudes to the surface in convective storms and squall lines. Going to be a turbulent night ahead for many in England.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

Another throughly miserable day here, more rain and even though radar not showing it, still heavy drizzle now. Winds have also picked up in the last hour, the morning dog walk could be interesting, watching out for flying tree branches. 

Even though it is only occassionally, when the wind is blowing here this afternoon it is very strong, i would estimate one strong gust every 30 minutes or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....
37 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

Just managed to get indoors before torrential icy rain, raw in the wind, miserable.but i had a lovely hot oxo broth waiting which i made yesterday, just the thing for this weather.:)

Oooh a hot Oxo broth sounds good :)

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Hurricane Debby said:

Oooh a hot Oxo broth sounds good :)

Funny, I remember my mother made it a lot so we had it all ready and waiting when we came home from school in winter 45 years ago and that was our dinner with a slice of bread and butter, but i can count on the fingers of one hand how many times i have made it for myself as an adult.

Posted
9 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

Even though it is only occassionally, when the wind is blowing here this afternoon it is very strong, i would estimate one strong gust every 30 minutes or so.

Yes noted here in Lowestoft too. A prelude to what's ahead.... going to be a bit dangerous tomorrow morning especially with the ground so wet. Won't take much to uproot trees after the recent high rainfall totals.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
22 minutes ago, Surrey said:

The Met Office are thinking a notable squall feature will move across overnight. What time do you think our region will be affected? Could be a bit wild. Blowy tomorrow, Norfolk looks like copping the worst before it’s the turn of The Netherlands and Germany later on.

Edited by stainesbloke

3 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

The Met Office are thinking a notable squall feature will move across overnight. What time do you think our region will be affected? Could be a bit wild. Blowy tomorrow, Norfolk looks like copping the worst before it’s the turn of The Netherlands and Germany later on.

Its hard to pin point because even high res models struggle with these micro features..I think  @Paul posted some charts in summer of the in house high res model when we had storms which was the closest thing I saw of picking features like this out.. 

Go back to the trusty Arome (or not so) and it shows this for 8pm tonight.. That looks like some kind of squall but you role it on and it gets a bit messy with it trying to pick up the very nasty showers following on behind the first front..

What I can make out is there is potential for something quite lively, certainly a wake you up thing, the bin does a runner little food box never to be seen again. But further north taking the higher gusts for a sustained period of time. 

preciprate_014.jpg?2018010206preciprate_015.jpg?2018010206preciprate_016.jpg?2018010206preciprate_017.jpg?2018010206preciprate_018.jpg?2018010206

EURO 4 out till the morning:

Precipitation EURO4 Tu 02.01.2018 18 GMT Precipitation EURO4 Tu 02.01.2018 21 GMT Precipitation EURO4 We 03.01.2018 00 GMTPrecipitation EURO4 We 03.01.2018 03 GMTPrecipitation EURO4 We 03.01.2018 06 GMT

Midnight fax charts from met:

Surface pressure chart - Forecast T+24 - Issued at: 00:00 on Tue 2 Jan 2018

That is quite a lot of various fronts and troughs to swing through so would imagine that showers form in some kind of "lines" until they eventually push through over night then back to standard blustery showers tomorrow 

Breeze just started picking up here.. 

Sorry if im posting to much, storms have always been one of my favorite weather type. When we got the decs out for Christmas mum found a picture I painted when I was a kid about 3 or 4 and its of a thunderstorm with my name and age.. 

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

@JennyJane1 Is that just oxo and boiling water? 

Dank day here today :mellow: quite mild too really hate these kind of days ! On New Year’s Eve we went to Portsmouth and there was snow lightly coming down ( made my day ) 

Its usually oxo, boiling water and a small amount of whatever meat is left over, ground very fine, and if any vegetables are left over, they are mashed very finely into it, so it is really like a thic broth.When I was young it was obviously a way of making a small amount of food go further for a second day although we didn't know that. It was only ever with beef oxo, I never knew it to be done with chicken oxo. We had it on various days with small amounts of liver, with small amounts of lamb, with stewing steak, with pork and with just vegetables on their own.Oxo and boiling water alone is ok, but i find it not so filling or tasty.The one I have today has a small amount of boiled potato, carrot and cabbage in it (less than a spoonfull but so good). I bet all the millenials are saying, oh no we wouldn't eat that! :)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

Its usually oxo, boiling water and a small amount of whatever meat is left over, ground very fine, and if any vegetables are left over, they are mashed very finely into it, so it is really like a thic broth.When I was young it was obviously a way of making a small amount of food go further for a second day although we didn't know that. It was only ever with beef oxo, I never knew it to be done with chicken oxo. We had it on various days with small amounts of liver, with small amounts of lamb, with stewing steak, with pork and with just vegetables on their own.Oxo and boiling water alone is ok, but i find it not so filling or tasty.The one I have today has a small amount of boiled potato, carrot and cabbage in it (less than a spoonfull but so good). I bet all the millenials are saying, oh no we wouldn't eat that! :)

Thank you Jenny I will give that ago sounds lovely ! Got to be better than my boring sweet potato soup ( getting fed up with it now ) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
10 hours ago, Sharpedge said:

Now it looks like it might be on again!

think I’ll just sit back.

That's exactly what I do lol. I read the thread, and take a look at models, but never ever take them literally until a few days out. Especially if Shannon is around. That's basically when the models are so confused by synoptics that they change every run, as they are doing now. Normally but not always a good sign for cold. I only occasionally post in the mad thread.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

A miserable day here with heavy squally showers.  Temp 9C but with wind it feels like 5C.  Notice the MetO has reduced wind gusts for my area to a max of 46mph overnight and tomorrow morning.  

Posted
9 hours ago, Surrey said:

The saying goes.. 

Red sky in the morning... 

DSC_0725.thumb.JPG.5a05a9084e4a70033f2e9ed71f4a2651.JPG

Unfortunately right, but I'm fed up with rain now.

• Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, Surrey said:

Love the end of the GEM that is Thames streamer territory.. unfortunately I doubt it will look like that @ t0 

gem-2-240.png?00gem-1-240.png?00gem-0-240.png?00

Not sure, gen has been very consistent while everything else keeps changing all the time. Doesn't mean It's right though.