Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow
33 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

no, its been awful

i agree. considering how far north we are (and yes i know our warming influence is because of the gulf stream) but even so, the middle east and north africa gets more snow than we do for heavens sake.  its ridiculous

Posted

big hail storm its  gone very dark!!

Edited by tinybill
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, tinybill said:

big hail storm its  gone very dark!!alarm_off_black2.png.1e0cbfa57f464f44521e1f022c4a0be7.png

LOL, just had the first white covering of the winter, and it was from a hail storm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

We’ve done alright here so far this winter. Put it this way, it’s the first time I’ve been able to use the sledge since ‘13 so I’ll take it!

For me anyway, it’s been far far better than the few years of constant gales and storms and unending rain. I think I had a 4 year stretch of replacing either tiles, fences or guttering every winter because of the wind.

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Team Jo said:

We’ve done alright here so far this winter. Put it this way, it’s the first time I’ve been able to use the sledge since ‘13 so I’ll take it!

For me anyway, it’s been far far better than the few years of constant gales and storms and unending rain. I think I had a 4 year stretch of replacing either tiles, fences or guttering every winter because of the wind.

Sledge?! What’s that?! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

Re: Tuesdays risk. The APERGE sees the front largely dying out but brings a spell of light RAIN to the region, not interested at all in back edge snow at the moment. 

5a8047dfb333e_GFSENS.thumb.png.14ca89ad68b4b905d957b339c879dfd8.png

NetWx-MR keeps the front together quite well but it looks more of a rain, sleety mix. Elevation is probably going to make a massive difference with this one.

MR.thumb.png.20946aac1016e08c1f2bbbc1d0fdab4a.png

Good chance of a few wintry showers reaching us this evening, though.,

Tonight.thumb.png.e8020aa07bbc6d36b776eef21f99c389.png

back edge, front edge, middle edge, it's all pointless drivel, garbage, dog biscuits, it isn't proper snow, it's the middle of winter only the hard stuff will do:angry::friends:

• Like 2

Posted
42 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

BA641490-AD0F-4EAC-94C4-5AFA4B4FBAA1.thumb.jpeg.b152d6bd1de394055e502ac6c95dde24.jpeg

84C578CF-6C97-4589-9461-5A0DFE05425D.thumb.jpeg.6a03fc660819bb72cb8495c3982cccc8.jpeg

light snow now

The view from my attic window looking south east - directly towards Greenhithe I suspect! Even in a bloody N’westerly the showers pass to the east of here ?

Posted
Just now, pureasthedriven said:

The view from my attic window looking south east - directly towards Greenhithe I suspect! Even in a bloody N’westerly the showers pass to the east of here ?

Didn’t upload photo. Suffice to say the sky was superbly ominous. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

Yes remember that...quite a 'mild' easterly if I recall, we had some wet snow (not much) but fell in the evening and day temps were a not so cold 2.5c - 5c by day.

I agree , I remain ambitious that we can get something a lot more memorable than that poor excuse of an easterly this month!! Judging by the MOD thread though this might not be so !!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 'Big talk' weather....:-)

Loving the look of the clouds this afternoon  Had shower of graupel around 10 mins ago, now sun shining.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Mix of sleet/hail and snow falling in Chingford. Mainly hail at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

The showers coming in look heavy so I'm going to drive up the hill and hopefully see a covering of snow. Been waiting 5 years to get some good snow photography 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Heavy hail shower in Esher the whitest the pavements have been all winter ... not bad for a NW wind down here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
32 minutes ago, Team Jo said:

Same here, in north London we’ve had the best winter since Jan/Feb 2013 (not saying much I know!!). Every winter since then has been virtually snowless, but we got 3/4 inches of lying snow in early December, which is more than the previous 4 winters combined.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Showers of Snow/Hail here this afternoon.

Soft hail sticks all of 5 minutes before melting.. 

I see METO have removed even the word sleet in their text for our region on Tuesday and going for an all rain. 

So cold rain for Tuesday looks likely, Arpege also agrees (this has done very well in short term throughout winter)

GFS ppn = useless as usual. Still don’t know why anyone builds their hope on this model with its ppn charts! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Some nice convective cloudscapes from the wintry showers this afternoon at Heathrow Airport

05912CDD-905A-4322-859E-23BF96D33007.jpeg

2410802A-827E-42C5-B563-1A2A66305D75.jpeg

F085AE00-78F8-4FF4-9E87-1C8FDB12F613.jpeg

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 6