Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, Paul Sherman said:

Just got back from a weekend in Oakham (Rutland) and the temperature differences in the Sub Tropics is Vast.

Oakham was 2.5c when we left, rose to about 4.5 near Peterborough, then upto 6c when passing Stanstead and now 8c in the Subtropical SE Essex

Big variations this winter temperature wise as you pointed out from north to south and particularly the south east. Notice this quite often when I travel up to Yorkshire in June. Sadly this winter we have had only 2 sub 3c days (back in December)...and until last week 37 days here in Burnham on the Crouch Riviera without an air frost!...ordinary springs to mind but considering 2013/14 to 2015/16 winters had no sub 3c days!! shows how poor the recent run of winters have been.

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1

Posted

Is it just me that thinks it’s been an ok winter? We’ve had 2 instances of laying snow (3 if you include the tiny amount this week) and lots of non-settling snow on top of that. By the standards of recent winters, that’s a Winter Wonderland.

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Badgers01 said:

The spell in 2005 was really very poor and a huge disappointment at the time I do hope we can do better than that this time .... 

Yes remember that...quite a 'mild' easterly if I recall, we had some wet snow (not much) but fell in the evening and day temps were a not so cold 2.5c - 5c by day.

• Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Spikey M said:

Is it just me that thinks it’s been an ok winter? We’ve had 2 instances of laying snow (3 if you include the tiny amount this week) and lots of non-settling snow on top of that. By the standards of recent winters, that’s a Winter Wonderland.

no, its been awful

Posted
4 minutes ago, Spikey M said:

I’ve had virultually no snow, falling or settling, to speak of in my location (Gatwick). In fact, like a few I’m sure, I’ve had almost no snow to speak of (the very odd transitory affair apart) here since March 2013. This will be remembered by me (so far) as the winter of cold rain. More marginal events than I care to remember, and another on its way for Tuesday. Repellent. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

dusting of graupel & snow here

72268CFE-59AD-4200-8A9B-C99DE74D68A6.thumb.jpeg.1d709edabd4e38b8daf5a33a5f8e6287.jpeg

BCC59A36-2233-47B3-AEFD-A74F53BCC1C0.thumb.png.73d9cc4a2b2b35a49a87b21ac7ca954e.png

Same here! Just went out to put something in the bin and it was snowing the polystyrene balls! Wasn’t expecting it as radar shows all rain..

Temp 5c, dp -2c 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Snow shower here, didn’t expect that!

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Spikey M said:

If your comparing to the previous 4 winters than yes it has been ok...I'm just to the north of you and we've had 4 mornings with lying snow to a degree (2 mornings back in December 10th/11th) and 2 other mornings with very slight accumulations and an other occasion when we had rain to snow without settling. I can't remember a winter like this where we've had opportunities but largely disappointing with either marginality or infinitesimal amounts (other than the 1 inch in December which had almost thawed by the next morning).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Interestingly the showers coming off the Irish sea are getting enough energy from the strengthening sun to keep their intensity or even develop further so they have become pretty widespread across the region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe thunderstorms

Heavy graupel shower here 15 minutes ago- Canvey Island for the mobile users, models suggest heavy snow showers until 1 hour after dark, let’s keeep watching !

• Like 1

Posted

Just had two heavy snow showers here in West Cambs. Seems to be a steady stream through the Cheshire gap

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Looking at the possible Cheshire gap streamer getting to me later on. Here's hoping 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Easygoing, but winter is meant to be white, dammit!

Just had my dear mother message me to say it's snowing back home in Biggin....knew I shouldn't have moved to Essex ?

Posted

nice  to see what the showers   will bring now heading our way!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,snow+gales

Plenty of convection here at the moment shame its not summer keep getting upload failed as well trying to show picture's 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Heavy soft hail / graupel shower just gone through , was swimming at the time , put me off my stroke ?. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Convection really kicking off now, forming into something a little more organised to the North/North-West

5a805d810cff2_ScreenShot2018-02-11at15_12_36.thumb.png.6629bf8c8a92ec7f190593ce05db46c0.png

• Like 1