Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

In complete contrast to yesterday, it is a beautiful day here today with clear skies and 6C currently. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Badgers01 said:

The spell in 2005 was really very poor and a huge disappointment at the time I do hope we can do better than that this time .... 

It wasn’t especially cold, I recall, but I did receive 17 consecutive days of some sort of snowfall during that period for my location then (Beckenham). 

Posted

Jeez. Models have gone titicus verticus big time last 24hrs. Lets hope they are just struggling with the ssw or we could be drawing a line under “winter” for another year ?

Posted

The one that made me laugh out loud in the Mad Thread was 

SSW

Strong South Westerlies.

Btw Pete your D9-11 which went to D11-13 is now D14-16

:rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Got a heavy wintry shower rattling through now on an otherwise bright and chilly day.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Tuesday looks interesting GFS has some especially heavier precipitation south of M4. 

C3568E67-D4C1-4898-8FDF-4695ABDC9B3E.thumb.png.4b0e3164fc9e2bbf1a8120ef2f8c632c.pngCE19464C-A794-4F55-B8A4-18BE2C4BD7D1.thumb.png.c7357dbc60a5717193dd102303864308.pngD42AD554-515B-40C3-A593-CCB8D9DB4A02.thumb.png.bba7683cbbf81ee5a4cbe531e09bdd38.png

cold rain is really not interesting ....:(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
21 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

The one that made me laugh out loud in the Mad Thread was 

SSW

Strong South Westerlies.

Btw Pete your D9-11 which went to D11-13 is now D14-16

:rofl:

we have regular outbreaks of them lol well according to the ahem experts in the mod thread, the SSW will not lead to cold, the easterlies are dead, the ssw is a dud and winter is now officially dog biscuits, if this is the case then the October Fog Index needs a huge pat on the back

Edited by lassie23

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Beat me to it Daniel, best looking precip chart for a while.

gfs-2-54.png?6?6

Edit: And these system recently have had a tendency to modify Southwards

Edited by Stuie W

Posted

Just got back from a weekend in Oakham (Rutland) and the temperature differences in the Sub Tropics is Vast.

Oakham was 2.5c when we left, rose to about 4.5 near Peterborough, then upto 6c when passing Stanstead and now 8c in the Subtropical SE Essex

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
2 hours ago, pureasthedriven said:

It wasn’t especially cold, I recall, but I did receive 17 consecutive days of some sort of snowfall during that period for my location then (Beckenham). 

Sorry. badger01, no offence but I disagree, with your post. Like pureasthedriven, I recorded a similar number of consecutive days with snow falling, when I lived in the Bromley area. Albeit, the snow came mainly, in flurry form but there were 2, if not 3 T/Streamer events. The snow didn't accumulate, to any great extent but after a run of very poor Winters, in the mid to late 90s and the early noughties weren't that great, from a coldies perspective, it still was pleasing to see. As I stated, in my original post, had the source region been colder plus 850 temps, colder, no doubt accumulations, would've been greater. Still to record, 2 weeks of consecutive days of snow falling, I feel, was exceptional!! I'm sure, not even 1962/63, could boast, that kind of return. As I stated. the synoptics, were mouth-watering.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

cold rain is really not interesting ....:(

It has the potential to be... I’d say some backedge snowfall is very possible. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Re: Tuesdays risk. The APERGE sees the front largely dying out but brings a spell of light RAIN to the region, not interested at all in back edge snow at the moment. 

5a8047dfb333e_GFSENS.thumb.png.14ca89ad68b4b905d957b339c879dfd8.png

NetWx-MR keeps the front together quite well but it looks more of a rain, sleety mix. Elevation is probably going to make a massive difference with this one.

MR.thumb.png.20946aac1016e08c1f2bbbc1d0fdab4a.png

Good chance of a few wintry showers reaching us this evening, though.,

Tonight.thumb.png.e8020aa07bbc6d36b776eef21f99c389.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
35 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Sorry. badger01, no offence but I disagree, with your post. Like pureasthedriven, I recorded a similar number of consecutive days with snow falling, when I lived in the Bromley area. Albeit, the snow came mainly, in flurry form but there were 2, if not 3 T/Streamer events. The snow didn't accumulate, to any great extent but after a run of very poor Winters, in the mid to late 90s and the early noughties weren't that great, from a coldies perspective, it still was pleasing to see. As I stated, in my original post, had the source region been colder plus 850 temps, colder, no doubt accumulations, would've been greater. Still to record, 2 weeks of consecutive days of snow falling, I feel, was exceptional!! I'm sure, not even 1962/63, could boast, that kind of return. As I stated. the synoptics, were mouth-watering.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

No offence taken- but to compare 62/63 with Feb 2005 is very strange. In 2005 we had snow falling over many days in Berkshire it never settled was never really cold - looked ok on paper but was not a memorable event I don’t recall any disruption ice etc - you can go on about mouth watering Synoptics but if it doesn’t deliver not really sure what the point is - we often get great Synoptics in spring and we all sigh if only it was February- well on that occasion it was Feb and it was a poor return for those Synoptics !

Edited by Badgers01
Typo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Heavy graupel shower just now. The most pointless out of all the precipitations

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Just had a heavy graupel shower with some snow flakes mixed in.

Edited by Dami
  • Like 1