Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Does anyone else also think the new video graphics overdo the snow? 

For example, the latest video forecast on the website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0 shows an area of snow moving down from NW England to SE England on Friday morning. However, if you look at the website it shows light rain all morning for London tomorrow. Not even sleet. 

Video forecast: 

image.thumb.png.a7991207500df94e8d0410659b5dc328.png

And what does the forecast show? Light rain all morning!

image.thumb.png.1d9def59697308811eebffb5bd5c93a1.png

So what can we expect tomorrow morning? Rain, sleet, snow? A mixture of the three? Yes, Helen Willetts says a wintry mix, but what if you were just looking at the graphics?

Edited by danm
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
18 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

So near but yet so far..

Yes and more snow to come for France, oh it snows more over here alright.:laugh:

Anyway slight upgrade on the 12z for tomorrow there for us, may get a bit settling on the highest ground I guess.

21-574.gif

24-574.gif

27-574.gif

30-574.gif

39-780.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
39 minutes ago, Weather_Novice said:

Covers my shoes, I will call it quits and look forward to spring!

This week, a fortnight ago - the charts were showing a potential easterly .... what did we get?

lol it does keep getting pushed back, be showing in june soon.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Tomorrow afternoon is rather snowy looking on GFS I have my doubts.

B8A6C247-A3CD-4DD4-BFB6-02E5A2431F4C.thumb.gif.da4f8109401c884702d6194084c91b43.gifC28F2CDB-1FDA-4C3B-A85B-391971E52B13.thumb.gif.01289af7603a878cf5d16f26bf6a5240.gif

I remember a few years ago we were forecast heavy rain, but due to evaporation Cooling it quickly turned to heavy snow for a few hours causing mayhem during the rush hour.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

Well it’s always been poor. 

Even last night the minima were underdone some parts of London got down to -5C albeit they are known frost hollows here it was -3C which is really cold for here, the app & forecast had me at -1C. There can be a lot of local variation even less than a kilometer away. Temps are very tricky to predict nonetheless. I imagine if there was snow cover across some parts last night we would have seen lows of -10C in prone areas.

And it was probably the lack of snow cover that pushed us up to a balmy 8c this afternoon, can't seem to ever hang on to any cold air any more.

Posted
3 minutes ago, danm said:

For example, the latest video forecast on the website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0 shows an area of snow moving down from NW England to SE England on Friday morning. However, if you look at the website it shows light rain all morning for London tomorrow. Not even sleet. 

Video forecast: 

So what can we expect tomorrow morning? Rain, sleet, snow? A mixture of the three? 

Where the heck has that come from? Way overblown IMO I’m happy to be wrong, tomorrow looks like a pick a mix sort of day I think we’ll have it all. :p 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

Where the heck has that come from? Way overblown IMO I’m happy to be wrong, tomorrow looks like a pick a mix sort of day I think we’ll have it all. :p 

Massively overdone it seems on the BBC graphics. If you look at the video forecast on the Met Office website it looks far more accurate. 

Unfortunately the new BBC graphics seem to be in a much lower resolution. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 1

Posted

Very cold, very cold indeed, cold.......its an insult that is from the BBC forecasters I tell you, an insult, 8c today, 6c tomorrow, in early Feb, whats wrong with them?:angry:

Posted
4 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

You can see that band of snow on sat24 right now way west of ireland and still developing aswell!!

Posted
6 minutes ago, danm said:

Massively overdone it seems on the BBC graphics. If you look at the video forecast on the Met Office website it looks far more accurate. 

This is what the Met Office video forecast is showing for tomorrow morning:

image.thumb.png.c042a9feca8b13d178f5b58c93ad75e3.png

Posted
5 minutes ago, danm said:

I agree it’s terrible definitely the resolution is suspect we’ve gone from the most conservative on snow to the most ‘brash’. Still no real middle ground I miss the old well not quite old graphics.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

There isn't going to be any snow here folks. Just boring ole rain (most likely drizzle, to take the p) 

Posted
16 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

lol it does keep getting pushed back, be showing in june soon.

Thats my worry that this SSW will bugger up our spring.:unknw:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters
21 minutes ago, danm said:

Video forecast: 

So what can we expect tomorrow morning? Rain, sleet, snow? A mixture of the three? Yes, Helen Willetts says a wintry mix, but what if you were just looking at the graphics?

On Tuesday evening the graphics showed persistent snow showers for Wednesday morning for my neck of the woods in West Kent - no mention of this on the website, yet persistent snow showers was what we got, even heavy at times - the BBC website did not show any snow even as it was falling out of the sky for a 3-hour period. I've noticed since the Meteogroup switch that the video graphics seem to be more consistent with the MetO website forecasts but sometimes totally at odds with the BBC website forecasts - at present I'm putting my faith in the video graphics together with the MetO website. They need to get this sorted (funnily enough, the Weather section is currently unavailable on the BBC website, so maybe they have flagged this as an issue?)

Edited by kate1
addition
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, danm said:

This is what the Met Office video forecast is showing for tomorrow morning:

image.thumb.png.c042a9feca8b13d178f5b58c93ad75e3.png

Quite a disagreement do MeteoGroup know something we don’t. :search::crazy: 

Posted
Just now, kate1 said:

On Tuesday evening the graphics showed persistent snow showers for Wednesday morning for my neck of the woods in West Kent - no mention of this on the website, yet persistent snow showers was what we got, even heavy at times - the website did not show any snow even as it was falling out of the sky for a 3-hour period. I've noticed since the Meteogroup switch that the video graphics seem to be more consistent with the MetO website forecasts but sometimes totally at odds with the BBC website forecasts - at present I'm putting my faith in the video graphics. They need to get this sorted (funnily enough, the Weather section is currently unavailable on the BBC website, so maybe they have flagged this as an issue?)

Well for tomorrow morning the BBC video and Met Office video forecasts are chalk and cheese.

Posted

GFS 12Z model output is still showing the back edge of the rain band on Friday turning to snow from early afternoon into the evening.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
42 minutes ago, yamkin said:

I remember a few years ago we were forecast heavy rain, but due to evaporation Cooling it quickly turned to heavy snow for a few hours causing mayhem during the rush hour.

Yep I'll never forget that day, walking my kids home cause of stuck buses, at least they had fun, and also an early night. Nothing more tiering than an hour's walk in heavy snow, plus playing in it.

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Yep I'll never forget that day, walking my kids home cause of stuck buses, at least they had fun, and also an early night. Nothing more tiering than an hour's walk in heavy snow, plus playing in it.

What year would that have been Alex?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny summers and snowy winters

most of the uk, paris, large parts of spain, even the bloody sahara desert have all seen decent snow this winter.... 

surely we have to get some?!!?!?!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, username home said:

most of the uk, paris, large parts of spain, even the bloody sahara desert have all seen decent snow this winter.... 

surely we have to get some?!!?!?!

As with everything, I blame it on BREXIT - the EU are keeping the snow from us ... :p

Posted

oh my god. Just watched the forecast above graphics are like something off of. Trumpton 

Hi good evening all hope everyone is ok. There seems to be some kind of confusion for tomorrow, just looked at the latest metoffice update and this is it

London & South East England

Headline:

Occasionally heavy rain tonight. Sunny spells, wintry showers on Friday.

This Evening and Tonight:

Largely dry and chilly this evening, then becoming milder, with strengthening winds and occasionally heavy rain spreading southwards overnight. Rain will begin to clear around dawn, then turning colder in northern and western counties with some surfaces becoming icy. Minimum temperature 1 °C.

Friday:

Scattered showers at first, wintry in places, then most areas becoming dry with often sunny conditions expected. Feeling cold in the northwesterly wind, then frosty overnight. Maximum temperature 6 °C.

Outlook for Saturday to Monday:

Becoming less cold with heavy rain and strong winds later Saturday, then turning colder overnight. Scattered wintry showers, with sunny spells, and overnight frosts are expected on Sunday and Monday.

looks as if the main band of rain will be clearing early to leave us with a few wintry showers. 

I was a bit confused as some posts were saying back edge snow tomorrow afternoon into the evening which is the gfs 12z. Which is right I don't know it's going to be the case of watching what falls from the sky and when ?.

With the new BBC weather graphics I personally don't like it at all. It is not very clear on what is falling and where, the old graphics were much better in my opinion and it was more easier to see exactly where the rain or snow is. 

Anyway just leaving Milton Keynes now for my commute back to London Walthamstow. Very dull here at the moment no rain tho bit keen cold wind.

Wishing you all a great evening.

regards ????

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

That sounds about right to me E17boy. I think Sunday will be very similar too.

:DAnyway 12z looking good quite early on, from D8 in fact so the SSW might be having an early effect on things up there.:rolleyes:

gfs-0-192.png

gfs-0-240.png

gfs-0-288.png

gfs-1-192.png

gfs-1-240.png

gfs-1-288.png

Edited by snowray
  • Like 1