Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
50 minutes ago, Weather_Novice said:

The MOD thread - quite a lot of excitement and hope pinned on the late Feb last chance saloon for this winter ....

Hopefully the odds are more stacked in our favour this time. ?

Posted
29 minutes ago, shotski said:

Hopefully the odds are more stacked in our favour this time. ?

I would love to believe that ...

Posted
4 minutes ago, Weather_Novice said:

I would love to believe that ...

70-30 in our favour ?

1FAC4136-2D9C-4360-AC68-7A11CF0E385E.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

I never believe the hype of those lot in the MOD thread, always over hyping garbage laughable cold spells, but ..........SSW:shok: BLIZZARDS FOR ALL, PREPARE TO GET SNOWED IN LATER THIS MONTH,OH AND I BAKED A CAKE TODAY:shok:

• Like 2

GFS upgrade ALERT

Hi peeps I domt know how much of this will pan out but just been on the MOD thread and there is tallk of the latest trends developing blocking to our north and wanting to bring in cold earlier than the anticipated SSW event. All caught my eyes don't know if it will come to it but that's the latest from the ten day charts and also snow potential with fronts stalling against the block. I myself is taking this as a pinch of salt with charts that far out but looks as if things are really beginning to look interesting. 

May all be different tomorrow but who knows. 

Regards ????

• Thanks 1

Posted

Latest GFS model is showing the back edge of the rain band on Friday turning to snow from early afternoon into the evening. Let's see what tomorrow's model runs show

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
8 hours ago, Nick F said:

Meanwhile, in northern France, some proper snow ....

Not sure who had the idea yesterday that Paris gets less snowfall in winter than London? Its always colder in winter on the continent for a start, so more chance of snow, I mean London has not had a half decent dumping of snow in what? 5 years? 

I had a very small covering this morning but it went as soon as the sun came out, lovely day in the end with lots of spring sunshine.:)

Posted
49 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

I never believe the hype of those lot in the MOD thread, always over hyping garbage laughable cold spells, but ..........SSW:shok: BLIZZARDS FOR ALL, PREPARE TO GET SNOWED IN LATER THIS MONTH,OH AND I BAKED A CAKE TODAY:shok:

MSSW I’ll have you know ?

Posted

Or response to the Paris Snow, just a FYI that is the most Snow they have had since 1987. So they really don't get the events we do in the U.K.

onto the future for the rest of Feb, pretty much 99% of our decent cold spells are preceded by a week of frigid weather with penetrating frosts and freezing fog before big snowfalls, 1985, 1987, 1991, 2010 all happened like this , the 2 attempts this winter have not had this pattern so am hoping next week we can get that spell in before the main event last 10 days of Feb. 

we shall see

• Like 2

Posted

Any one know why my previous post shows as hidden? 

I wrote: 

God what a load of rubbish in the MOD thread. Every single time. Ramp it up...arguments....disappointment. Because funnily not every snow event forecast is the snow storm of the century ?

Edited by c00ps

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

Oooooooooooh a cake yum, what sort of cake did you bake then Lassie?:)

Not a baked Alaska was it?:rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Had to go to Whitfield Tesco earlier, had a shower, which was rain. No hope for anywhere lower if showers keep coming.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

Tbf the Meto extended forecast has been saying for some time now that all of February will be below average temps, cold and potentially very cold under eastern winds. The only fly in the ointment is it mentions more dryer/settled too..... so I think it's definitely staying cold (bar the odd milder interlude) but it depends on if the snow gods direct the moisture filled clouds over us while the cold is there...... xx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
13 minutes ago, weathergeek said:

Tbf the Meto extended forecast has been saying for some time now that all of February will be below average temps, cold and potentially very cold under eastern winds. The only fly in the ointment is it mentions more dryer/settled too..... so I think it's definitely staying cold (bar the odd milder interlude) but it depends on if the snow gods direct the moisture filled clouds over us while the cold is there...... xx

could mean that high pressure will be over the UK, hope not because that is really boring.

20 minutes ago, snowray said:

Oooooooooooh a cake yum, what sort of cake did you bake then Lassie?:)

Not a baked Alaska was it?:rolleyes:

lol baked alaska, it was a carrot cake but it imploded:vava:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Had enough of this excuse for a winter, even if my boots are cosy, looking forward to the mornings I don't look like a grey marshmallow on the school run. Bring on the cardi weather :) 

Posted
24 minutes ago, Dami said:

Had enough of this excuse for a winter, even if my boots are cosy, looking forward to the mornings I don't look like a grey marshmallow on the school run. Bring on the cardi weather :) 

It’s only just starting...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
4 minutes ago, shotski said:

It’s only just starting...

I'm bored wearing jumpers now. \0/

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Not too bad, plenty of sunshine eventually after the cloud cleared. Not too cold in the end with a high of 6C and light winds.

Edited by Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Really liking the trends in the models, from the 12z runs, for mid-month.

Siberian anticyclone, extending westwards and influencing the jet, to dive S.E., across us and on into Europe, whilst being reinforced by heights, to the north. :cold: With other factors, seemingly turning in our favour, hoping to see these trends continue, in further model runs. There's still time to develop a decent cold, snowy spell, before Winters' end.

Had a lovely lunch, with some members of the family, in memory of my mother-in-law, who died, a year ago today.

Finally got to see, my younger sister. Angela, who I'd not seen, since way before Xmas. Got to give my 6 year old niece, her Xmas presents, including 2 books on the weather. Trying to turn her into, the next Helen Willetts!! :)

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Like 8

Posted
34 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

could mean that high pressure will be over the UK, hope not because that is really boring.

lol baked alaska, it was a carrot cake but it imploded:vava:

I love carrot cake as it goes, not sure about exploding ones though.:laugh:

So is it odds on then for this SSW and late February freeze? Hope they have stocked up on prozac over on the MAD thread, another 2 weeks of ups and downs to go and if it don't happen well some on there are likely to get sectioned.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Not too bad, plenty of sunshine eventually after the cloud cleared. Not too cold in the end with a high of 6C and light winds.

Seriously!!?? Not where I was working it wasn’t. Temperature couldn’t have got much above freezing in the shade as what little snow was on the ground stayed all day. Never 6 degrees here.