Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Then out of now where METO and Beeb fancy 6 hours of snow!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, c00ps said:

Anyone remember the thundersnow of Jan 2004? Feels similar to this. I remember watching the front move all the way south from Scotland down to here in the SE. There was about an hour or so of heavy snow and about two inches and a fair bit of thundersnow 

Remember it well, Jan 28th, +6 degrees before the CF -2 after, now that was a Carol with her humdingers.:D

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, c00ps said:

Anyone remember the thundersnow of Jan 2004? Feels similar to this. I remember watching the front move all the way south from Scotland down to here in the SE. There was about an hour or so of heavy snow and about two inches and a fair bit of thundersnow 

I do indeed. That was an amazing event. Ended up with 10cms in a few hours. This is a totally different kettle of fish, unfortunately. That was a very active cold front.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Daniel, looking at the Netweather radar.... it seems to me that as soon as it comes over the Wash it completely kills intensity. Am I allowed to say the NW radar is rubbish? Just for tonight?

3 minutes ago, c00ps said:

Just got home !

I remember this like yesterday

I had a race @ buck more park that day & was tracking the front but saw many reports of rain so didn’t expect to much - The temp @ home when I left at 5 was about 4c in Bexleyheath-

Driving down the A2 & looking out towards the Thames the sky was going black- 

I walked up to the clubhouse at buckmore by then it was dark & it started lashing it with rain, but after 2 mins & a crack of thunder a wall of snow came over the hill-

It snowed for 2 hours & there was 3 inches on the ground- everyone got stuck in the car park waiting for the farmer to grit the hill- fantastic memory !!!

Anyway just got home temp on the garden gauge now -2.1c !!

Cmon snow don’t break up even if we get a cm !!

S

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, snowblind said:

I do indeed. That was an amazing event. Ended up with 10cms in a few hours. This is a totally different kettle of fish, unfortunately. That was a very active cold front.

True I remember that front being wide and intense where as this is more like a blob lol but waiting for it brings back memories of back then. I got home just before it struck knowing it was coming. Others weren’t so lucky at my works 

Posted
3 minutes ago, throwoff said:

Then out of now where METO and Beeb fancy 6 hours of snow!

That would  be brilliant!

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

Just got home !

I had a race @ buck more park that day & was tracking the front but saw many reports of rain so didn’t expect to much - The temp @ home when I left at 5 was about 4c in Bexleyheath-

I walked up to the clubhouse at buckmore by then it was dark & it started lashing it with rain, but after 2 mins & a crack of thunder a wall of snow came over the hill-

It snowed for 2 hours & there was 3 inches on the ground- everyone got stuck in the car park waiting for the farmer to grit the hill- fantastic memory !!!

S

Lots of discussion Steve as to whether it will come down south or not, what’s your take?

Posted
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

Just got home !

S

I was living just up from buckmore Park up blue bell hill then. Great snow that was - never forget it. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.
7 minutes ago, c00ps said:

I was at work when the snow started in the afternoon. With us we had a guy from Africa who had never seen snow, his face was a picture when we opened the factory door and he saw the horizontal snow falling on that day. We quickly abandoned work to head off home, the traffic was chaos!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Still light snow..dandruff deposits on cars ......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)
13 minutes ago, c00ps said:

It was directly overhead me here. Got over 5cm in an hour with flashes and booms of thunder simultaneous! That was astonishing!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm sunny days, tons of snow!

It's ok, I have just popped to the future and taken this pic, that SSW really kicked in!

picdump_1319_20__800.jpg

Posted

I remember the thundersnow, I was on a first aid requalification course at a hotel in Bar Hill.

Got out early and jumped on a Whippet bus home, just in time before the A14 came to a standstill.

• Like 1

Posted

I love that we all remember the date and where we were when it happened. I just asked my missus if she remembered it.  She said ‘no I’m not a weather geek like you’ ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
26 minutes ago, c00ps said:

I was 11 at the time, so a couple of years before I joined the BBC forums and learned how to read charts/knew that weather radars existed. I knew from the BBC forecasts that there was supposed to be snow, I was out playing when it started raining so I went in and had dinner, annoyed that it was raining and not snowing.

When I finished dinner, I looked out the window and everything was white, I sprinted as fast as I could to the front door and shot outside shouting at the top of my lungs "it's snowing it's snowing". I stayed outside playing for about 2 hours before going to bed. Lasted a couple of days too from what I can remember. Absolutely incredible childhood memory that one.

I distinctly remember 2 flashes of lightning followed by thunder, I remember my mum saying "how can there be lightning it's snowing", the neighbours thought the flash was from the train tracks behind the house, nobody really knew what was happening, myself included.

Edited by Daniel Smith
  • Like 5