Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
42 minutes ago, warrenb said:

You guys would have loved 1985. 2 weeks of near ice days, bitter easterly wind and with not a cloud in the sky.

Of course every year is unique. 

;)

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

I don't like SSW's at this time of year. Winter is coming to a close, the days are longer, the sun gets warmer by the day. I know we can still get a severe cold blast as late as March but it's never quite the same, the snow melts far more than it would have done a couple of weeks ago.

The SSW doesn't happen for 10 days or so, that puts us around the 15th, then even with a quick trop response you're looking at around the 20th at the earliest for something interesting, could be the end of February/beginning of March and then we just have a cold, miserable start to spring.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I don't like SSW's at this time of year. Winter is coming to a close, the days are longer, the sun gets warmer by the day. I know we can still get a severe cold blast as late as March but it's never quite the same, the snow melts far more than it would have done a couple of weeks ago.

The SSW doesn't happen for 10 days or so, that puts us around the 15th, then even with a quick trop response you're looking at around the 20th at the earliest for something interesting, could be the end of February/beginning of March and then we just have a cold, miserable start to spring.

I’m grabbing at it with both hands it’s the best chance of a proper cold & snow with real wintriness in years and that is no exaggeration.

Even before SSW may make itself apparent on the troposphere. I have noticed GFS in FI has been quite something lately. MJO lag effect..... IMO

what with the split there will be very cold arctic air which surges south to mid latitudes while we approach spring ironically the coldest air of the winter may be present. Don’t dwell on it. 

3BC981A9-A6A6-4226-8622-58C421ADB2E6.thumb.png.7663be659c7c6a1b1192ac4f5f905085.png

• Like 1

Posted
48 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

God help us if this is the 'coldest week of the winter' as expressed by the media...4.7max today and snow deep enough to freeze an ant (before it melted 30 minutes later) - 37 days without an air frost here (that says it all about this winter).

Ha ha! This post has really tickled me!  I think you have summed up this Winter so far in the SE quite nicely there!  :laugh:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
Just now, Daniel* said:

I’m grabbing at it with both hands it’s the best chance of a proper cold & snow with real wintriness in years and that is no exaggeration.

Even before SSW may make itself apparent on the troposphere. I have noticed GFS in FI has been quite something lately. MJO lag effect..... IMO

what with the split there will be very cold arctic air which surges south to mid latitudes while we approach spring ironically the coldest air of the winter may be present. Don’t dwell on it. 

3BC981A9-A6A6-4226-8622-58C421ADB2E6.thumb.png.7663be659c7c6a1b1192ac4f5f905085.png

If it does turn out that way, I'll be over the moon. I want nothing more than a decent cold spell with some decent snow chances, but given the past 4/5 years of, well, basically cold spells resulting in something like last night, it's really difficult to remain optimistic the further into winter we go

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!

Met office has light snow for me tonight 11 and 12 pm. ..what are the chances?!

Posted

Still snow on grass here - just hanging on 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Yep I’ve got light snow forecast tonight as well. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
56 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

So when does the cold spell begin?

Early April...just as we're getting our shorts on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Beeb are going for the front to fizzle out then pep up towards east anglia and maybe east london, so most of london is super duper out of luck.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
7 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Beeb are going for the front to fizzle out then pep up towards east anglia and maybe east london, so most of london is super duper out of luck.

I'll wait and see what actually happens between now and Wednesday. 

16 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Oh no I am in N/E London Walthamstow I wonder what the chances are here tomorrow night. 

Posted
30 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Cherbourg Streamer back at it again, a lot of snow ? has fallen in the last 24 hours here.

16987CC7-F130-44B2-A0F1-DC1E5238F2F0.thumb.png.63a2fe3fa8ff281b3a7a7dd1b1d59d10.png

just rain according to the current observations on the meto website. 5c and peeing down. Same in Guernsey. Sounds hideous.

Posted
8 minutes ago, E17boy said:

Oh no I am in N/E London Walthamstow I wonder what the chances are here tomorrow night. 

I'm quite a way North East of you near Colchester and I'm just in the warning zone for 1 to 4 cms. I'm not overly hopeful but you never know and it wouldn't take too much of an upgrade to get more of our region in the firing line. Here's hoping.:cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
10 minutes ago, E17boy said:

You are in with a chance there more than most.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

From sky news site

Met Office spokesman Martin Bowles said: "Tonight is going to be very cold, there is a front coming into the North West and because we have got lots of cold air there is going to be lots of snow on it.

"It is reaching north-west Scotland and Northern Ireland this evening and then it will gradually work its way into north Wales and north-west England overnight, including a good chance of some fairly substantial settling of snow in those areas.

During tomorrow, it will continue to work its way into the South East, but as it does so it will become a much weaker affair so actually pretty much the whole country can expect to get some snow between six o'clock this evening and six o'clock tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
47 minutes ago, E17boy said:

Looking into that front decaying-and its geographical landing is going to change on both options.

Its going to need tracking through tomorrow....could easily become more wider-spread and pep notable.

Edit;..using the sat images will help.

As the front makes inroads....

Screenshot_2018-02-05-18-37-50.png

anim_ir (1).gif

Edited by tight isobar

Posted

Brighton really missed out last night.... Anyone have any thoughts of us getting snow tomorrow please ?? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

What on earth was Carol Kirkwood on earlier this morning when she said a chance of snow and lightning on Tuesday night in East Anglia?

Posted
7 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

What on earth was Carol Kirkwood on earlier this morning when she said a chance of snow and lightning on Tuesday night in East Anglia?

She was talking about heavy showers that could follow the front into the NW. She didn't mention EA and the SE (at least on the forecast I saw). The reference to thundersnow was def for NW areas.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Jason M said:

She was talking about heavy showers that could follow the front into the NW. She didn't mention EA and the SE (at least on the forecast I saw). The reference to thundersnow was def for NW areas.

No it was for us I believe. 

& got a report of heavy snow in Jersey!

4BABD5DF-4C8D-4E70-B2F9-D918BFEF1A36.thumb.png.f3d311e747a706f574b08cf36e0478fb.png

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1