Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
7 minutes ago, throwoff said:

Ah, ok, so I am assuming by it's nature it is very difficult to forecast hence why none of our area is currently showing much risk of snow. 

Pretty much - A lot of models have it fizzling out as it moves down across the Central Midlands, a couple of models (Euro4 and NetWx-SR) pep it back up again as it moves into East Anglia mainly, but also a little over SE England too. 

The FAX chart shows the front crossing us

fax48s.thumb.gif.d7421868b4c1fbc6683432105dd7efb7.gif

The front over France might engage it a little and help it pep up, timing you're probably looking tomorrow evening/into the early hours of Wednesday. Lots of uncertainty whether it'll hold together or even pep up as it moves through. So, it'll be another radar watching evening.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
2 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Pretty much - A lot of models have it fizzling out as it moves down across the Central Midlands, a couple of models (Euro4 and NetWx-SR) pep it back up again as it moves into East Anglia mainly, but also a little over SE England too. 

The FAX chart shows the front crossing us

fax48s.thumb.gif.d7421868b4c1fbc6683432105dd7efb7.gif

The front over France might engage it a little and help it pep up, timing you're probably looking tomorrow evening/into the early hours of Wednesday. Lots of uncertainty whether it'll hold together or even pep up as it moves through. So, it'll be another radar watching evening.

In Bold Event 1

We also have an Interesting Event 2 Thursday/Friday

Just hope it's not a slushy mess again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

In situations with a decaying front i think that as it moves down from the North West and providing it hasn't already fragmented those to the North of the Thames may squeeze a covering out of it.Those to the South of it i think will be less fortunate.That is purely based on my knowledge of studying these situations and going on past experience when fronts move down from the NW.I think it has something to do withe Urban heat of Central London that sucks the life out of the moisture but that is just my opinion.Hope i am wrong though!!:)

Posted

I must say I am underwhelmed given the synoptic pity we lost the colder uppers -13C at one point as a result we missed out on more vigorous convection. Some places woke to a covering.

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I must say I am underwhelmed given the synoptic pity we lost the colder uppers -13C at one point as a result we missed out on more vigorous convection. Some places woke to a covering.

I'm not underwhelmed at all - always knew this would be a rubbish set up for anything white for the majority of us lot. Need LP nearby. Not gonna happen... best chances are later this week if we get a decent clump of precip - but its not a foregone conclusion. As it stands with the charts we'll get by 7 days with most seeing barely a snowflake... 

Without being too 'moany' though at least its cold and we will see some harsh frosts in the next few days - better than mild!! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters
2 hours ago, Nick F said:

Ah, Calverley Gardens, have some photos of that park from Dec 2009, when I used live there, after a heavy overnight fall

1919232_207421242772_7869429_n.thumb.jpg.1b7188f522890f3807b3acb522a1d44d.jpg1919232_207421267772_1444127_n.thumb.jpg.f699a02de29220b0d279e1c8bc3ea834.jpg

I would have been there that day with my girls! - that was a snowfall and a half! I seem to remember seeing a couple of people sledging down Mount Pleasant first thing that morning.... all the roads were closed and awaiting a snowplough.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
3 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Well that snowy spell was about as exciting as Theresa May popping round for tea. 

Onto the next one!

Yes onto the next one, another fail here unfortunately, never saw a single flake, maybe I blinked, oh I made a cup of tea too. Very dark and cloudy out now but dry.

At least some got some snowfall and a covering so it was not all bad.:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Just caught the lunchtime forecast on BBC (as one does!) and Thursday's and Friday's temps are expected to reach a 'cold' 9 and 7C respectively...That's nae cold; that's mild. Pfffft!:diablo:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Kent Blizzard said:

What it means and does for us? or when to expect it?

It means it undergoes intensification after weakening. 

Posted

I am now looking forward to spring! 

Another damp squib of a cold snap - dry and mundane! Saw reports of 1-3 cms for my area - showers all night but got 1 snow shower that came and went in 20 mins. 

Don't worry - there is always potential in 10+ days :nea:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
2 hours ago, Nick F said:

Well, looks like mostly snow flurries for the rest of today for the SE, hasn't been anything more here this morning anyway, models do indicate perhaps a few heavier snow showers moving off the N Sea to affect Norfolk and northern Suffolk. Then we need to wait for the occluded front moving down from the NW tomorrow and arriving in the evening for next half decent snow chance, let's hope Carol Kirkwood's re-invigorating front comes off, EC not really interested, GFS, ARPEGE and EURO4 (below) show some light snow tomorrow night

18020700_0506.thumb.gif.b94dd948866a4ff877ce2b53f930a65d.gif

What I keep looking at is all that snowfall on the continent, it don't move and giving a lot of settled snow, why don't that ever happen here?:nonono:

18020600_0506.gif

18020606_0506.gif

18020612_0506.gif

18020618_0506.gif

18020700_0506.gif

18020706_0506.gif

18020706_0506-1.gif

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Heavy snowfall... There was never any HEAVY snow, it was just light to moderator. Most of it was pellets and pretty naff, story of the winter so far here

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

Heavy snowfall... There was never any HEAVY snow, it was just light to moderator. Most of it was pellets and pretty naff, story of the winter so far here

There actually was maybe not in your back yard on the radar there were very localised small areas which saw quite brief heavy snowfall red/purple echoes in Kent. It looks like it’s going to throw it down here...

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

There actually was maybe not in your back yard on the radar there were very localised small areas which saw quite brief heavy snowfall red/purple echoes in Kent. It looks like it’s going to throw it down here...

Well I drove from Hythe, past Folkestone, up through Canterbury and into Herne Bay, it never came down HEAVY :/

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

Well I drove from Hythe, past Folkestone, up through Canterbury and into Herne Bay, it never came down HEAVY :/

That was about 4am and I said very localised and fleeting so no surprise there. 

97374012-287F-4347-B386-90C75D020D77.thumb.png.f74bd539bb2e0c5d5547a81822a55a88.pngB4200D14-3533-419D-AF4C-B37D0921F390.thumb.png.c47a028f328f1e7df71c54cb19f0460b.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

There seems to be ppn building in the Thames area East of London in the past 30 mins, got very grey here, could there be a wee streamer developing out of nowhere?

• Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, Sno' problem said:

There seems to be ppn building in the Thames area East of London in the past 30 mins, got very grey here, could there be a wee streamer developing out of nowhere?

Think you hoping,not a steamer just a couple of little showers,little bit in Epsom now

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Been dull and overcast with bursts of graupel recently here in south London, not really getting any snow mixed in either.