Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

That looks like that's it for showers for now. Where ended up top? I got about 2 cm's on the surfaces that accumulated best ie cars/grass/bin lids lol. Any advances?

Edited by c00ps

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Well, looks like mostly snow flurries for the rest of today for the SE, hasn't been anything more here this morning anyway, models do indicate perhaps a few heavier snow showers moving off the N Sea to affect Norfolk and northern Suffolk. Then we need to wait for the occluded front moving down from the NW tomorrow and arriving in the evening for next half decent snow chance, let's hope Carol Kirkwood's re-invigorating front comes off, EC not really interested, GFS, ARPEGE and EURO4 (below) show some light snow tomorrow night

18020700_0506.thumb.gif.b94dd948866a4ff877ce2b53f930a65d.gif

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
30 minutes ago, fulham snow said:

The monthly forecast looks amazing and this is from the BBC (who are mild lovers) so still all to play for for another few weeks.

Yes, they seem to be unusually bullish for around the weekend after next which, I guess, is just out of reach for most of the models we see, hence nothing overly exciting being discussed on the main thread ATM.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..

Bone dry here in Burgess Hill, the few flakes that left half a dusting have gone.

Currently 2c but feels colder in the wind, tomorrow will either end up rain or fizzling out altogether before it reaches this parts, basically game over for winter 2018 lol, better like next time

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
Just now, Rob Deacon said:

Bone dry here in Burgess Hill, the few flakes that left half a dusting have gone.

Currently 2c but feels colder in the wind, tomorrow will either end up rain or fizzling out altogether before it reaches this parts, basically game over for winter 2018 lol, better like next time

Could you let the Met Office know?

Will save them wasting money on providing updates for the next several weeks.

• Like 2

Posted
36 minutes ago, fulham snow said:

The monthly forecast looks amazing and this is from the BBC (who are mild lovers) so still all to play for for another few weeks.

That's the kiss of death for any snow prospects for the rest of this month then!  :doh::laugh:

Edited by snow raven

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

i got nowt, was expecting nowt, so when nowt arrived, there was nowt to be upset about. I was just too far in the wrong place this time.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Well,it didn't amount to anything major,but was lovely to see snow falling and settling,prob ended up with 2-3cm in northiam,but it didn't last long,onto the next 1,hopefully soon everyone here will get buried in snow,long overdue

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Disappointed but not really too surprised tbh.That probably sums up most peoples feelings on the SE thread this morning.As is the way and as was forecast by the Beeb over last couple days the showers were in quite narrow bands and those lucky enough to fall under them have had a nice 1-2cm covering and thanks to those that posted some lovely wintery and snowy pics.However,the vast majority saw either nothing or the odd light flurry which i had in Locksbottom between 9-10 this morning which didnt amount to anything settling.Lets hope as the month progresses the snow chances increase again not for a lucky few but the whole of this thread and all other threads in the UK.It's about time we had a bit of luck on the snow front!!:good:

Edited by Hotspur62

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..
9 minutes ago, lawrenk said:

Could you let the Met Office know?

Will save them wasting money on providing updates for the next several weeks.

No need, I'm sure they already know Sussex wont get any snow, takes something really special now days to get snow in these parts :sorry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

A Forecasters nightmare this week tbh. Some will get lucky some won't, a matter of miles can define positives and negatives...Good luck :rofl:

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted
1 hour ago, TomSE12 said:

Having looked at this mornings  runs again, there still may  be enough of a flow from the NE/ENE, to keep the shower activity going  from the S.North Sea, until early evening, imo. More towards, the south of the region ,perhaps. Now, I'm not talking snow-fest here but a few of you, could get a dusting, here and there.

We shall see.

Regards,

Tom.:hi:

P.S. But having looked at the latest radar returns, I agree with posters above, shower activity, now dying down, in the Southern N.Sea! :oops:I shant give up the day job, just realised, I had to, through ill health.

Oh, this keeps me out of mischief anyway and prevents me  inventing, anymore pointless fantasy competitions, based on snow depths!!:doh:

Over the past few years
To the traditional sounds of the Kentish winter... Drip drip drip........ What were the skies like when you were young?
They went on forever and they, when I, we lived in kent
And the skies always had little fluffy snow clouds
And they moved down, they were long and cleared 
And there were lots of stars at night................ And when it would rain it would all turn, it, they were beautiful
The most beautiful skies as a matter of fact
The sunsets were purple and red and yellow and on fire
And the clouds would catch the colors everywhere
That's neat, 'cause I used to look at them all the time when I was little
You don't see that anymore, you might still see them up north... Lol... Hope her sadness of missing her sunsets and colours in the desert does not happen to our snow... Drip drip drip.. Sun is not out...dont seem right....things don't seem right.. Unless it isn't - 10 at 5000 odd feet...if it is or whatever it is...i can't remember waiting this long as a kid for enough snow that it lasts a day... Got to be the water.. Ie the oceans and seas...warmer than predicted.. Got lots of things going on in our oceans that are not precise like taking readings from the atmosphere... Yet just as complicated...you have no airplanes no data from underwater stations.. Not like on land.. Imagine the data that atmosphere models get and how many layers up.. They don't do that down.. Not so  many  subs as planes.... But  like a storage heater.. You have to wait after its turned off to cool.. Unlike a convection heater that's nearly instant.. If its not climate change.. Global warming.. And its just a cycle.. I want a free wheeler.. Or at least stabilisers.. Lol :-) the lyrics are rickie Lee Jones.. And the song.. Little fluffy clouds by the orb 

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, throwoff said:

Can someone explain this reinvigorating front to me?

What it means and does for us? or when to expect it?

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted
1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

Tomorrow looks more promising for me just to miss out on the snow again lol

No warm sector in it, so quite possibly snow for many in the region.

But then when the Warm sector kicks back in Thursday/Friday it's a fine balance. No doubt a few Jackpot zones though and many upset members :)

Edited by Kent Blizzard
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!
1 minute ago, Kent Blizzard said:

What it means and does for us? or when to expect it?

Both ?

Posted
7 minutes ago, throwoff said:

Both ?

Basically in easy terms if you can imagine a thunder storm that trundles on and on without fading out for a couple of days and turns back on itself,  then it gets new energy and sparks back into the life it's kind of the same 

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

If we are lucky and it peps ups. Then we could all get  C.m or 2.. some lucky ones in sweet spot 5cm. ( best case scenario)

Or it just fizzles out. At the moment its a watch & wait gane.. Nowcasting !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Ah, ok, so I am assuming by it's nature it is very difficult to forecast hence why none of our area is currently showing much risk of snow. 

Posted

Looks good for Norfolk,suffolk , maybe Essex. Not sure it will make kent.

Fingers crossed it does though.

Shall be watching the front like a hawk tmoz...

Edited by craigore
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, craigore said:

If we are lucky and it peps ups. Then we could all get  C.m or 2.. some lucky ones in sweet spot 5cm. ( best case scenario)

Or it just fizzles out. At the moment its a watch & wait gane.. Nowcasting !

Somewhere will get a good dumping, could be us or it could be the Midlands the way things look but like you say it's a waiting game

Edit: By us I'm meaning for some people in this Thread, Not just my area etc

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted

Oh yeah the midlands for sure.

But they have had their share this winter so its the S.E im interested in.

Edited by craigore