Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
4 minutes ago, Nick F said:

w1517764123.thumb.gif.7bad6cbe28371bd14b514b164d68d158.gif

Winds are mostly between N, NNE and NE this afternoon/evening, which normally seem to favour a Kent streamer and also scatterd showers feeding SW from the Wash over E Midlands, northern and western Home Ccounties. but  morning we should see snow showers penetrating further inland across London area and parts of E Anglia as well, as an occluded front moves west and winds turn more ENEly.

fax24.thumb.png.77feed8748399eb446913552a911f78e.pnggfsgif.thumb.gif.02d5751de56d854bbf3eaaa4c12e7fb1.gif

Thanks, Nick.

This is the occlusion I’ve been banging on about and the chance it’ll bring snow to a wider area.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Seem to have lost the flow of showers now,most seem to be in the channel

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, PLANET THANET said:

shows how localised these showers are, you with rain and me with sleet

The north east coast is a few metres from my front door, barely above sl. I seem to miss out even when slightly inland has a dusting! Hoping over the course of tonight there will be some snow..even to see a flurry! I have to drive to rochester tomorrow and I'd hedge my bets that they will have a small accumulation! 

Edited by Snowpuff
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and cloud formations

Just started to snow here. I've watched the temperature drop from 5c at 3pm to 1c at 5:30pm. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snowpuff said:

The north kent coast is a few metres from my front door, barely above sl. I seem to miss out even when slightly inland has a dusting! Hoping over the course of tonight there will be some snow..even to see a flurry! I have to drive to rochester tomorrow and I'd hedge my bets that they will have a small accumulation! 

i do find it fascinating how varied the weather can be in Thanet....in that last shower, you had rain , i had sleet and craigore managed to build a small snowman 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
3 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

Thanks, Nick.

This is the occlusion I’ve been banging on about and the chance it’ll bring snow to a wider area.

Shame that 12z GFS and ARPEGE seem to weaken the snow showers along the occluded front as it pushes west and inland tomorrow, though we'll see if it pans out like that!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
10 minutes ago, Nick F said:

w1517764123.thumb.gif.7bad6cbe28371bd14b514b164d68d158.gif

Winds are mostly between N, NNE and NE this afternoon/evening, which normally seems to favour a Kent streamer and also scatterd showers feeding SW from the Wash over E Midlands, northern and western Home Counties. but  in the morning we should see snow showers penetrating further inland across London area and parts of E Anglia as well, as an occluded front moves west and winds turn more ENEly.

fax24.thumb.png.77feed8748399eb446913552a911f78e.pnggfsgif.thumb.gif.02d5751de56d854bbf3eaaa4c12e7fb1.gif

Brighton does appear to be in on some of the action then. Just! What it falls as though is still up In the air. Literally 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..

Temperatures don't look good here in Haywards Heath, my weather station which has been calibrated shows 3.9c and DP  0.1c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Latest fax chart out, 12z +24, very nice looking chart, occluded front over our region there so some snow is looking very likely still.:yahoo:

fax24s.gif

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat
4 minutes ago, Rob Deacon said:

Temperatures don't look good here in Haywards Heath, my weather station which has been calibrated shows 3.9c and DP  0.1c

Same here , my temp isn’t shifting currently 4.1 DP 0.2 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Shame that 12z GFS and ARPEGE seem to weaken the snow showers along the occluded front as it pushes west and inland tomorrow, though we'll see if it pans out like that!

Maybe we’ll see a more general area of light snow across the area. This is what I remember as a kid. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
27 minutes ago, E17boy said:

Just had some very dark cloud come over here in Walthamstow something light was falling but couldn't make out what it was.

Its usually a cloud of dust or dirt when you see that sort of thing around this way, Bexley council don't clean the roads any more.:(

Posted
1 minute ago, Alpine glow said:

Brighton does appear to be in on some of the action then. Just! What it falls as though is still up In the air. Literally 

Forcing looks stronger through the English Channel, close to the upper low over Northern France, so could get heavier bursts over Sussex and south Kent coastal areas as the models indicate, lighter further away from Kent and Sussex with weaker forcing.

• Like 5

Posted
6 minutes ago, Alpine glow said:

Yes looks that way , I’m just concerned as the temperature isn’t really coming down , it’s hovering around 4c at the mo 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, snowray said:

Latest fax chart out, 12z +24, very nice looking chart, occluded front over our region there so some snow is looking very likely still.:yahoo:

fax24s.gif

This is what I like to see!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
36 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

I wouldn’t be too despondent if you aren’t seeing showers at the moment as they aren’t snow, just sleet or graupel. 

Hoping they turn more wintry later!

Yep same here just, the graupel seems to be creating a covering on cars though lol.

Posted

@Steve Murr, I know Thames streamers usually run from the estuary, across to Croydon and then through Epsom and towards Guildford, but we had one here in east berks a few years back. I’m thinking that was due to a more easterly flow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
8 minutes ago, Marie said:

Yes looks that way , I’m just concerned as the temperature isn’t really coming down , it’s hovering around 4c at the mo 

As I understand it, nothings supposed to get started till midnightish so plenty of time for temperatures to drop.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, lawrenk said:

As I understand it, nothings supposed to get started till midnightish so plenty of time for temperatures to drop.

Thanks for the reply , might have a nap then lol so I can lamppost watch later ?

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Surrey said:

Been moved slightly north to previous fax 

My thoughts too and ties in with the Heathrow TAF

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Well temp is now 0.9 DP -0.3 should transition soon, unless graupel is all I'm going to get.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Well temp is now 0.9 DP -0.3 should transition soon, unless graupel is all I'm going to get.

Graupel will give a better cover and is certainly better than I’m getting here