Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Just having a shower mixture rain sleet gruapel, so at least it's not all rain again.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, snoangel said:

Does it look like more showers are popping up in the North Sea?

Nothing much up here...:unknw:

Posted
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

Just having a shower mixture rain sleet gruapel, so at least it's not all rain again.

I quite like graupel. When I was in Tallinn I witnessed a heavy graupel shower. It was like someone had opened a bean bag on my head ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS
2 minutes ago, PLANET THANET said:

wait until tomorrow to say that, it is not due until this evening and monday morning:cold:

I understand his pain.

The mod charts were looking great 4 days ago. I feel we are always looking at great charts 7 days away and they never turn to fruition.

We just need the cards to fall in our favour for once.

The problem seems to be not cold enough yet on the contient. ( plus sst are a little higher than the norm.

I dont want to keep hearing end of Feb  Time is ticking... the sun on Thursday last week had real warmth.

Its got to hapoen now.

Posted

The fact the SSTs are above average will work in our favour with convection so essentially the uppers do not need to be as cold there’s still a big gradient, however increases chance of it being sleety near the coast. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
8 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

Expect the unexpected.....

Agree 100%, and they are the best type of snowfalls at the end of the day. Some places will do ok, slightly higher ground say above 50/100m, away from the immediate coast line, and where streamers set up, we have one now in Kent but I think its mainly wet. 

This chart could be close to the mark, with a few areas further west getting a dusting too.:)

21-780.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
17 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

I have to say with a very heavy heart that I don’t know if this is going to be as good as first hoped(I could be very very very wrong) I’m hoping that I will be very much but I’m just not sure. Sorry everyone. Things just keep being downgraded not upgraded it’s making me very sad :sorry:

I also think you’ll do OK. As long as your expectations are realistic, as we don’t appear to be looking at a 2010 type event.

My guess is somewhere like Wadhurst might be the “sweet spot”.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS
Just now, Daniel* said:

The fact the SSTs are above average will work in our favour with convection so essentially the uppers do not need to be as cold there’s still a big gradient, however increases chance of it being sleety near the coast. 

Exactly. And you cant make a snowman wth sleet. Do agree though it can ^ does work in our favour usually.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

I think we're starting to see the first signs of showers pepping up/becoming a little more widespread out in the North Sea now. With temps dropping and dew points widely below freezing, I think the fun is about to start

Posted
2 minutes ago, snowray said:

Agree 100%, and they are the best type of snowfalls at the end of the day. Some places will do ok, slightly higher ground say above 50/100m, away from the immediate coast line, and where streamers set up, we have one now in Kent but I think its mainly wet. 

This chart could be close to the mark, with a few areas further west getting a dusting too.:)

21-780.gif

Indeed!

I’m not in a favoured area due to my location further west, but I’m about 90 metres above sea level here.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Nothing much up here...:unknw:

This will make you laugh... Or cry... Off of euro storm forecast.... 

This moisture plume remains decoupled from steeper mid-level lapse rates and hence only a low-end thunderstorm risk is forecast. This seems to be an heavy snowfall event for NE-Spain and convective elements could exaggerate the final snowfall amounts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Temp. 4.0C, Dew Point 2.0C, both slowly dropping.

Posted

I have a good confident feel that come the end of February were all gonna be laughing at the chase and conversation over the next few days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
2 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

Indeed!

I’m not in a favoured area due to my location further west, but I’m about 90 metres above sea level here.

90m is pretty good going, I wish I lived a bit higher up, ideally above 100m.

Radar now showing some heavier stuff out in the North Sea.:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, craigore said:

Exactly. And you cant make a snowman wth sleet. Do agree though it can ^ does work in our favour usually.

You need a 'Graupelator'...It looks a lot like the Jodrell Bank Radio Telescope (it's the same size!) but has a hole in the middle!:good:

Posted
Just now, snowray said:

90m is pretty good going, I wish I lived a bit higher up, ideally above 100m.

Radar now showing some heavier stuff out in the North Sea.:)

You watch that start to band and align into streamers soon.

• Like 1

Posted

Well I had my little drive up to Potters Bar to pick up the new puppy. Lovely and sunny with the temp about 6c until I got to Snodland on the way back and the wind picked up and the sky darkened with sleet showers. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

I do have to say that the sky has taken on that very pretty orange tinge in it before it snows (hope that’s a thing, it is in my house) is that a real thing??? Be very interested to find  It if it is????? sorry to be a party  Pooper I do very much hope for snowy weather. I really really hope that everyone else will get some snow I know how excited I’m getting so I can imagine how everyone else is feeling. I have to say I’m trying to be very grown up about this whole snowy business but to be honest I feel like a child on Christmas Eve.:santa-emoji:

Edited by DonnaThw
  • Like 4

Posted

In case I don’t see any snow over the next few days, this was the scene when I left Tallinn. 

The aircraft still departed even though the taxi ways and the runway was covered in snow.

16A3A06F-E95C-4BF4-A54A-8D514F6FB357.jpeg

Edited by CK1981

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)
3 minutes ago, k66yla said:

Well I had my little drive up to Potters Bar to pick up the new puppy. Lovely and sunny with the temp about 6c until I got to Snodland on the way back and the wind picked up and the sky darkened with sleet showers. 

I think that’s just what happens in snodland. :pardon::diablo:

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

You watch that start to band and align into streamers soon.

Hope your right, fingers crossed. If some of these bands start to clip the Essex coast line then we are in business as they usually then move in towards London but getting them to west of London is the hard bit.

• Like 1