Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

just back from a 10k road race in Chichester, isn't really feeling all that cold tbh ,even the wind didn't feel all that cold. 

Mind you nothing really does when you run 10k in sub 40 minutes !!

Back home and it was unbroken sunshine the whole way, a gorgeous day and really nowhere near as cold as I thought it would be.

Just to add, if anyone thinks they're getting anything more than a sprinkling by this time tomorrow, I suspect they'll be disappointed, just can't see anything more than a scattering of showers and I doubt any accumulations will even be visible asides from on cars and dustbin lids :-)

Hope Im wrong

Edited by EML Network

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

currently 6.1 here in Locksbottom but with a fresh NE wind feels colder.Hoping for the fun and games to start tonight.Could be Lampost watching time lol!!

Posted
6 minutes ago, john mac said:

Meant to be a great place Tallinn 

Beautiful city, especially in the snow.

I had a wonderful time and would recommend it.

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, EML Network said:

just back from a 10k road race in Chichester, isn't really feeling all that cold tbh ,even the wind didn't feel all that cold. 

Mind you nothing really does when you run 10k in sub 40 minutes !!

Back home and it was unbroken sunshine the whole way, a gorgeous day and really nowhere near as cold as I thought it would be.

Just to add, if anyone thinks they're getting anything more than a sprinkling by this time tomorrow, I suspect they'll be disappointed, just can't see anything more than a scattering of showers and I doubt any accumulations will even be visible asides from on cars and dustbin lids :-)

Hope Im wrong

You always seem to put a downer on everything. :p 

Of course not everyone will see a covering but it is looking highly likely some areas will. Model output suggest showers will become more widespread increasingly going more east and intensify overnight. 

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

Here are my thoughts for the region this evening > early tomorrow morrning

Untitled-1.png

I have to say Daniel, imo that's a very fair representation on how the next 24 hours, may pan out, My thoughts are pretty much the same, mid-Kent to E.Sussex being the prone areas, under the current, NE flow. There are some suggestions, that the flow will turn ENE, after midnight, which then brings the Thames corridor  area, into play. I'm going to stay with my son in Chislehurst (E of Bromley ), for a couple of weeks.  From an IMBY, point of view, I really do hope, we get an ENE flow, Chislehurst tends to do well, with that direction of flow. Bit of a double edged sword, for  me though, as my illness, greatly compromised my mobility and balance, although I'm much better now. Still don't fancy going A over T, on ice though, if I can help it. :D

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme
1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

You always seem to put a downer on everything. :p 

Of course not everyone will see a covering but it is looking highly likely some areas will. Model output suggest showers will become more widespread increasingly go more east and intensify overnight. 

lol I just don't like seeing people getting excited only to feel let down when nothing arrives, in my experience if you don't expect anything and then you get it, it's much more enjoyable than constantly hoping and being let down.

I think i've just become hardened over the years.

Posted

Today's Netweather report is in line with Met Office expectations, and in my opinion too sums it up fairly accurately for our area:

Scattered light wintry showers tonight, perhaps leading to a very slight dusting on hills, then gradually becoming less cold throughout the week as winds turn more SW'erly.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Some showers pushing quite far inland, bodes well for later 

Are you watching the showers over EA?

I think they might make it down to our patch.

1 minute ago, CK1981 said:

Are you watching the showers over EA?

I think they might make it down to our patch.

Some already have, surprised to see showers cropping up over land, if we see this continue then would need to widen the snow risk area although I think once after dark this will fade and will rely on beefy ones from the coast 

Posted
1 minute ago, Surrey said:

Some already have, surprised to see showers cropping up over land, if we see this continue then would need to widen the snow risk area although I think once after dark this will fade and will rely on beefy ones from the coast 

You never know though, could be some surprises, even to the west of London.

The Heathrow TAF is now suggesting snow showers overnight.

Posted
22 minutes ago, john mac said:

Meant to be a great place Tallinn 

Especially so in the snow.

One great website I use a lot:

https://balticlivecam.com/cameras/estonia/tallinn/view-nordic-hotel-forum/

It has a bucket load of different cameras for Estonia and would give you an insight to what you are arriving to if you head out.

Apologies for entering a thread I shouldn't be in. I'll just shimmy back to the Ireland regional.  :p 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Surrey said:

The showers are definitely becoming more widespread 

Maybe the occlusion moving out of the continent is pepping things up!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
6 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

You never know though, could be some surprises, even to the west of London.

The Heathrow TAF is now suggesting snow showers overnight.

That's interesting. perhaps indicative of the flow having more of an easterly component, to it.

Regards,

Tom.

Posted
5 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

Definitely one to watch.

TAF’s are usually quite accurate.

They have to be accurate aviation is a big business having accurate weather forecasts is crucial. At Heathrow they have their own forecasters employed by Met Office I believe. 

They have to be accurate aviation is a big business having accurate weather forecasts is crucial. At Heathrow they have their own forecasters employed by Met Office I believe. 

Nobody knows really what will happen later and how widespread the showers will be. Cool though that Heathrow is now mentioned snow 

Posted

I agree, these forecasts are relayed to pilots, so have to be accurate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

The aviation forecast going for snow is huge. This will change the prep for every flight coming into and leaving the area, they don’t call it without confidence. 

• Like 1

Posted

Snowed moderately for a few minutes at 400ft ASL here in north Kent ?

• Like 1