Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 minutes ago, James Oliver said:

I'm worried tomorrow we will just see rain and sleet being so close to the sea

If it was the same one, it was just rain here, about 6:00ish. Not sure what's falling now though.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
18 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Fanny by gas light ??

Who mentioned fanny ??

Edited by Mark wheeler

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Interesting little feature on the 18z at 72hrs just to the South of us..

72hrs.thumb.png.010543787a0ec39c22245e7799917381.png

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, KentishDan said:

Interesting little feature on the 18z at 72hrs just to the South of us..

It’s been trending more north I’ve noticed! 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

It's getting pretty darn close..

Close.thumb.jpg.9214be7f491b51c0923bf750d71fe980.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
34 minutes ago, snowbob said:

Even a coating of slush will do me fine

If you get slush at Biggin Hill, well the rest of us can forget it!:laugh:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow
2 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

It just needs to move another 100 miles Northwards and we could be in business.Unlikely tbh but still a slim chance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

The 30hpa zonal wind speed is currently increasing ( currently just below 40m/S   ) which may explain the earlier runs today showing a more progressive jet stream and associated eastward energy burst. However looking at the 12z ensemble mean (below) this burst appears to peak Tomorrow / Monday and then falls away dramatically until the “potential” reversal ( SSW)  around mid month. 

It may be that the latest model runs are now factoring in the slowdown in zonal wind speeds as we move through the coming week. Is so then I would expect to see more of an Eastward correction with the Siberian HP nudging closer.

247FB8B1-80CD-491E-8AE1-0E67CE9046A1.thumb.png.995147ac537ce78982cc39de2ebacde1.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
23 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Don’t be surprised to see sleet dew points tad too high for now they’re marching our way though. It’s all sinking away south it’s very light and patchy might be a bit icy tomorrow morning in rural areas. 

Yep, dew points in our region +2 to +3C atm, so too high for snow, though could experience sleet, however on the map below, dew points in green, you can see the DPs are below freezing from obs on oil/gas rigs in the N Sea, so expect this minus values to spread in overnight and chance of snow flakes falling to increase 

3F48F96E-E155-4922-ABAA-AB873F8EF884.gif

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, Hotspur61 said:

It just needs to move another 100 miles Northwards and we could be in business.Unlikely tbh but still a slim chance.

If the trend continues I’d say there is a good chance, at least for southern snow starved coastal counties. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Quite a lot of snow chances on the 18z, another slight upgrade for Weds too. And worth keeping an eye on the little feature just to our south towards the channel, its been edging further north with each run. :Dprectypeuktopo-6.thumb.png.1db647061a8d40453187d00e4ab08f74.pngprectypeuktopo-2.thumb.png.9eb9f5a3cba0788b8507a74eef8affd9.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo-1.png

prectypeuktopo-3.png

prectypeuktopo-4.png

prectypeuktopo-5.png

prectypeuktopo-7.png

• Like 6

Posted
5 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

Yes Sharpedge, generally it develops along the Thames corridor, from the S.Essex coast/N.Kent coast and on into E/SE and S.London and dissipates, as it approaches the west of this area.

In Feb 2009, the TS was unusual, in that, some areas in the west, had heavier falls, than further east.

There was a superb analysis by Paul Sherman and why he had a slight cover of "polystyrene balls", whereas as further west snowfall totals were approaching, 12 inches!!

I have lived, in the Bromley area , all my live and worked in Croydon, for over 25 years. Bromley always, "outsnowed" Croydon, in TS events. But not in Feb 2009,. Bromley had, around 6 to 8 inches. It was my day off, on that Monday, after the Sunday night snowfall. Going into work on the Tuesday morning, I was gobsmacked, to see the amount of snow, that had fallen, in central Croydon, nigh on 9 inches!!

Regards,

Tom.

Thank you very much.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow
2 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

If the trend continues I’d say there is a good chance, at least for southern snow starved coastal counties. 

Didn"t we have a system move up from France about 5 years ago at the end of January that gave us our last notable snow event of between 3-6 inchs of snow.Cannot remember the exact date but remember it was the day Spurs scored a last minute equaliser against Man U in a blizzard at WHL!!Funny how you remember some things and remember the journey driving home was a bit Hairy !!

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Hotspur61 said:

Didn"t we have a system move up from France about 5 years ago at the end of January that gave us our last notable snow event of between 3-6 inchs of snow.Cannot remember the exact date but remember it was the day Spurs scored a last minute equaliser against Man U in a blizzard at WHL!!Funny how you remember some things and remember the journey driving home was a bit Hairy !!

Yes indeed that was decent it might have been the last snow event in London? It was quite prolonged I remember viewing radar was so good, I’d certainly take a repeat of that. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

3C with a freshening NNE wind and a few bits of precipitation...

Posted
3 minutes ago, Hotspur61 said:

Snow moving up from France, heavy snow, now that brings back memories, its the best for us in the SE. Here is the closest we get, for now any way.:rolleyes:

54-574.gif

Posted
1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

Yes indeed that was decent it might have been the last snow event in London? It was quite prolonged I remember viewing radar was so good, I’d certainly take a repeat of that. 

Yep it started snowing early mid morning and stopped just as i got home after the game.All in all about 8-10hour snow event and yes Tottenham and Central London got a good covering!!I think it was only picked up by Met Office 2 days out,maybe 3.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, snowray said:

Snow moving up from France, heavy snow, now that brings back memories, its the best for us in the SE. Here is the closest we get, for now any way.:rolleyes:

We can but dream Snowray!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Pub run is a downgrade on Sunday nights chances I think. Shame.

Posted
1 minute ago, throwoff said:

Pub run is a downgrade on Sunday nights chances I think. Shame.

Looks better to me, certainly heavier

1.thumb.gif.73c0835a58c1aa45d7851c028510c12c.gif2.thumb.gif.6c64fb3a6200a13beb49697e4f76abe4.gif3.thumb.gif.b52dd84568ea6c13386f0e54f6718407.gif

4.thumb.gif.c2a8e9ca2bdf0351c3a8afee04854b82.gif

• Like 4

Posted

Just had a moderate icy/sleet shower. Had a look out the front as it made such a noise against the (ene facing) living room window and it was icy sleet - not snow yet but wasn't rain at least!

Posted
6 minutes ago, Hotspur61 said:

Yep it started snowing early mid morning and stopped just as i got home after the game.All in all about 8-10hour snow event and yes Tottenham and Central London got a good covering!!I think it was only picked up by Met Office 2 days out,maybe 3.

I don’t think it was the finest quality of snow I remember big fluffy flakes was very pretty though and certainly was the time I recall everything covered I think you’re right. First sign of instability offshore. 

E1523A60-59A0-4F49-96B7-CE96675B29EB.thumb.png.251d4987c6b41de9296ec8d4d0ec3b8f.png

Hi people I am back hope you all are ok. Just seen the BBC extended forcast, snow showers more prevalent in Southest Sunday night into Monday. Then we get the fizzling weather system from the NW late on Tuesday night. Then there is another weather system coming in on Thursday which could also produce some sleet and snow across the country but detail of this are uncertain as this is a slightly milder sector with colder air from the NW behind. Finally next weekend they think there is another system coming in bringing temporary milder conditions but colder weather to return after that. 

I think this forcast will keep on changing as we go through the week. It is going to be interesting model watching say the least and there will be times we will be at the edge of our seats. 

Like a lot of people are thinking now, the next three weeks are going to be the crunch it's either make or break. After that time will slowly be moving away from being on our side wth the days getting longer and the sun getting stronger snow cover lasting days will get weaker. I. Know we can still get snow in March but the chances of a week or more sustained snow cover are less although not totally discounted March 2013 comes to mind. 

Who knows what the models will be telling us this time next week but let's hope  it's a brighter outlook for us snow starved people.

regards ???

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

Just had a moderate icy/sleet shower. Had a look out the front as it made such a noise against the (ene facing) living room window and it was icy sleet - not snow yet but wasn't rain at least!

Hawkinge micro climate 

• Like 1