Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
5 minutes ago, starstream said:

Short trousers? No gloves? And snow?

Exactly shorts! Crazy but it was different back then. 

Just reading that 1947 had snow fall somewhere in the UK 55 days in a row ?

Posted
18 minutes ago, Paul1968 said:

Well dont,you have plenty of sane members in this thread rember dont deviate to the dark side ☺

yeah, plenty of sane ones, me, Lassie, Dami, :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
1 hour ago, KentishDan said:

2009/10 and 2010/11 were an incredible couple of years for Streamers in this region. The 2009 was for here was horrible, I had the streamer going directly over me but living on the Isles of Grain at the time, I got a couple of inches of polystyrene balls much like Paul, I think I remember us both being on here quite late absolutely dumbfounded about what was happening. 

Then November 2010 came along, another streamer and this time it produced. 30 odd hours of continuous snowfall left just over a foot of level snow, an incredible couple of weeks followed. Unfortunately, now every "cold spell" has to try and live up to something that's incredibly rare, Streamers are pretty much the holy grail for me. Frontal snow just doesn't seem to do it for this area, not anymore anyway. 

And to think that the best snowfall happened in November, not even winter yet, incredible that we get such mild Januarys year after year, and the best snow is in NOVEMBER!!! :wallbash:

Ohhhh I hate them polystyrene pellet things with a vengeance, horrible things!:angry:

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, steveinsussex said:

I think those in the far east of Kent are going to be happy, the rest of us in the region, not so much

I’m thinking north Kent looks good too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, c00ps said:

Was just reading about the 10 worst winters in UK history and they showed this picture from 1940...notice something quite remarkable? 

4570ECDF-86CA-469C-9E69-83E93DB19123.png

barelegs and no gloves?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Just now, JennyJane1 said:

yeah, plenty of sane ones, me, Lassie, Dami, :yahoo:

Don't forget Nigel Farage, Lord Thanet. The one with the funny eyes?:crazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather
4 minutes ago, snowray said:

And to think that the best snowfall happened in November, not even winter yet, incredible that we get such mild Januarys year after year, and the best snow is in NOVEMBER!!! :wallbash:

Ohhhh I hate them polystyrene pellet things with a vengeance, horrible things!:angry:

Ah, don’t get too down at least it’s white and falling from the sky, better than wet and translucent?!! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
13 minutes ago, c00ps said:

Was just reading about the 10 worst winters in UK history and they showed this picture from 1940...notice something quite remarkable? 

4570ECDF-86CA-469C-9E69-83E93DB19123.png

I think the kid in the middle is “Knocker’s sister” who,shortly after this photo, lost her feet to frostbite, thus explaining his hatred for cold weather.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)
11 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

I think those in the far east of Kent are going to be happy, the rest of us in the region, not so much

I think you are right there, Anywhere else getting a covering would only be a bonus. A streamer could change all that though!

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

Not to worry, this part of Suffolk isn't really famed for its streamers, either. I did have the good fortune to be in Bromley on Nov. 30th 2010, however; I thought the snow was never going to stop!:cold:

I was in Croydon and thought the same.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
23 minutes ago, starstream said:

Golden generation, if only kids could be brought up like that today instead of wrapping them in cotton wool. Sons footy game called off last week because it was too muddy & wet ??? seriously!!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, sun, thunder, storms, frosts, summer heatwaves.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS
21 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

I dont....As i think a lot of the ppn here will be sleety & wet...higher ground around dover (north downs) may fair better... Still not understanding why the d.ps are forcast to be so high wth a continental feed & -8-10 uppers.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Nick F said:

Like I mentioned in my post, the discontinuity of the land compared to the flat sea, even if the coast is just a few metres asl, can be enough to create uplift of a moist flow off the sea and, as a result, enough cloud depth to enhance snowfall, enhanced further if the coast narrows in an Estuary in direction that the flows moving towards, such as Thames or the Wash. 

Ok thank you Nick 

jason 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
31 minutes ago, starstream said:

I thought may be they are walking on ice, hence the one that is waist deep, may be why they are all holding hands. Probably wrong though lol, I personally wouldn't be in short trousers though, brrrrr.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Horrible day, cold with light rain on and off all day. At least tomorrow looks brighter with scattered showers though I suspect there will be very few here.

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

barelegs and no gloves?

What would police state say about that now, playing on a road etc? Kids were much more like kids back then they grow up to quick these days, you can blame technology, media and celebrities. Being a grown up is not all what it’s cut out to be. I find it quite sad that toddlers now don’t get out as much, and are glued to tablets. A part of what makes snow special to me is that it incentives people to get out there, and really be at one with the natural surroundings, and have ‘fun’ it’s very evocative to your childhood and soothing. Of course some I know hate snow, but I do notice more people go out in it and that’s nice to see. I’m fairly hopeful I may see the most snow since 2013 I have only seen a dusting since then, so even a light covering would triumph that. :) 

• Like 1

Just left Upton Park east London still raining ☔️ it might be me but I wouldn't say it's really really cold out there at the hmmm maybe the cold uppers haven't even started coming over yet. Hopefully will be different this time tomorrow. What can I say we are all holding on to this cold event I really hope we get something like many of the others on here we have patiently waited in this que for far too long must be our turn to have the seat ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

As I thought a couple of days ago,complete waste of time if im honest,roll on spring,winters in this part of the world are laughable,a 3 day cold spell

Posted

I have heard that there’s been a snow drought in the NW too. That is absoloutely pony I read through their threads they have had a lot more than us, even those on the coast have done better. Meanwhile here we truly know hardship, we literally have seen very little I know some of us on the 10th the deadlock was broke spectacularly. Albeit south of the M4 it really has been woeful, it almost seems never-ending despite the impossibility.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1