Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 hours ago, lassie23 said:

Wonder what the Daily Express is making of it all:unknw:

Hope they keep their noses out of this one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Nice animation. Thank you for that  those uppers don't really suggest anything for us in se to worry over. -10 is very good. Someone posted about the north sea sst's being 7c i think it was? Surely conducive for some convective activity for e/ne facing coasts, we hope anyway. Any likelihood of some troughs kicking up from Nick sussex or sm if hes awake

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

A very early good Saturday morning to you, all.

I'd like to take issue, with regard to Thames Streamers, to some posts on the Mod thread. I've lived in prime TS country, all my life : Bromley ( N.W, Kent ) and Lee, (S.E.London ) and I've experienced, quite a few TS events. It's simply not true to say, you need a strong easterly flow. I'd like to quote a couple of examples. Firstly, Xmas/Boxing Day 1970.Secondly, 8th Jan, 2003.  For the areas I've mentioned above, the flow, has to be specifically ENE, so the air remains in contact, with a source of moisture, for as long as possible. As important, are the 850 temps, the colder the better, the differential between the upper air temp and temp of the Thames Estuary/River Thames, creates great instability .Now those examples.

Xmas Day/Boxing Day 1970. Heavy snow showers, overnight, with one almighty crack of thunder, gave the Bromley area, snowfall of 4 to 6 inches and it wasn't that strong an ENE flow. See chart below.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/reanalysis.php?uur=1800&var=2&nmaps=24&map=1&model=noaa&jaar=1970&maand=12&dag=26

8th Jan. 2003. An even lighter ENE flow, gave my area of Bromley, a covering of 4 inches, 6 inches in the hillier south of the borough, i.e, Biggin Hill. See chart below.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/reanalysis.php?uur=0000&var=1&nmaps=24&map=1&model=avn&jaar=2003&maand=01&dag=08

As you can see, from these charts, the flow isn't especially strong, certainly not a la Jan 1987 or Feb 2009, indeed the synoptics ,look rather innocuous, at face value. More importantly , we had convergence and decently cold uppers.

IMO, the possible streamer event Sunday night into Monday. looks to have, a fraction too much of a northerly component, to the flow, for a Thames Streamer. As long as the 850s are cold enough, I would favour a mid-Kent to East Sussex Streamer, on a NE flow.

Whatever the outcome, I hope some of us get lucky and see some white stuff.

Regards,

Tom. 

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

yeah I got rain, but i did look out the window ever hopeful.:rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Rain here too and 3C. Vile.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

I think you guys are in for some snow over the coming days. It will feel bitterly cold as well. Tuesday early hours could be a lamppost job.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Copious amounts of snow and ice days

Snowing here in Buxton.....Derbyshire! Nice to see for a snow starved Norfolk resident. Looking forward to finding the highest peaks around this way as I'm normally used to 40m above sea level, not 300.

Up here for the weekend, will bring some back to East Anglia with me!

• Like 3

The best met office write up so far for this winter?

Regional Forecast for London & South East England

Headline:

Cold with outbreaks of light rain spreading erratically east.

Today:

Cold and mostly cloudy today, with outbreaks of light rain, perhaps sleet, already across western areas gradually spreading eastwards. Therefore Kent, Surrey and Sussex are likely to remain largely dry this morning. Highest temperature in London, generally colder elsewhere. Maximum temperature 5 °C.

Tonight:

Largely cloudy with outbreaks of light rain, perhaps sleet, gradually dying away. Scattered showers will follow, mainly across eastern areas, falling as rain, sleet or snow. Risk of icy patches. Minimum temperature -1 °C.

Sunday:

A brisk and bitterly cold wind will blow scattered showers in from across the North Sea, with the showers often wintry and perhaps locally heavy later. Some sunny intervals. Maximum temperature 4 °C.

Outlook for Monday to Wednesday:

Monday and Tuesday will be cold, after sharp overnight frosts, with sunny spells and scattered wintry showers. Tuesday night chance of light snow. Wednesday frequent and sometimes heavy wintry showers.

Only goes out to Wednesday to if Friday is the last day of cold then we still got 2 more days to follow!

Updated: 02:13 on Sat 3 Feb 2018 GMT

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Drifting Snow, Torrential Rain, Scorching Sun.

Top of Shard buried.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
22 minutes ago, Surrey said:

The best met office write up so far for this winter?

Regional Forecast for London & South East England

Headline:

Cold with outbreaks of light rain spreading erratically east.

Today:

Cold and mostly cloudy today, with outbreaks of light rain, perhaps sleet, already across western areas gradually spreading eastwards. Therefore Kent, Surrey and Sussex are likely to remain largely dry this morning. Highest temperature in London, generally colder elsewhere. Maximum temperature 5 °C.

Tonight:

Largely cloudy with outbreaks of light rain, perhaps sleet, gradually dying away. Scattered showers will follow, mainly across eastern areas, falling as rain, sleet or snow. Risk of icy patches. Minimum temperature -1 °C.

Sunday:

A brisk and bitterly cold wind will blow scattered showers in from across the North Sea, with the showers often wintry and perhaps locally heavy later. Some sunny intervals. Maximum temperature 4 °C.

Outlook for Monday to Wednesday:

Monday and Tuesday will be cold, after sharp overnight frosts, with sunny spells and scattered wintry showers. Tuesday night chance of light snow. Wednesday frequent and sometimes heavy wintry showers.

Only goes out to Wednesday to if Friday is the last day of cold then we still got 2 more days to follow!

Updated: 02:13 on Sat 3 Feb 2018 GMT

Just watched latest BBC forecast and it looks like being a cold week, several sharp frosts and ‘some snow’. Not much detail but sounds good!

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Really not impressed with the latest forecast.

4c today then forecast for monday was bitterly cold winds from the east and temps at 4-6c.

Sorry being old school, its getting warmer by monday ??? just with cold winds, all the precip was showing as rain.

I just think after years of nothing, people expectations are somewhat high.

Still hoping for a Feb/March 2013 when it just seemed to have snow on the ground for weeks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
5 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

Is our chance of snow slipping away??? 

We've got this little band of ppn over our region on Monday which will hopefully be of snow.:good: 

gfs-2-60.png?6

Posted
7 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

Is our chance of snow slipping away??? 

Some of the models look quite promising, apparently, but the forecasts aren't too inspiring at the mo, just a bit too warm. But things chance quickly I've had uninspiring forecasts before and ended up with snow, so I would say wait and see what happens. Seems like Wednesday might be our best chance for any snow.

Posted
23 minutes ago, seaside 60 said:

4c today then forecast for monday was bitterly cold winds from the east and temps at 4-6c.

Sorry being old school, its getting warmer by monday ??? just with cold winds, all the precip was showing as rain.

Still hoping for a Feb/March 2013 when it just seemed to have snow on the ground for weeks.

I'm hoping that those temps are being slightly over estimated and will be modified down a couple of degrees nearer the time so this should increase out chances of snow. But I agree expectations from looking at the model thread and watching the forecasts don't really tally.

Posted
36 minutes ago, seaside 60 said:

I don’t understand either,how can it be getting warmer by Monday,when the cold air hasn’t even arrived from way out east yet

are bbc forecasts really incompetent now,we are about to find out shortly 

Even the updated forecast this morning  on the website is showing temps highest in the SE  of 6c sun and mon,then talks about snow next week.SEEMS  nonsense

give up:wallbash:

Edited by SLEETY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

I’ve just read in the mod thread that the temperature are slightly higher because of sea temperatures 

Posted

Light rain.  Currently 2.4C

Hoping for a bit of the white stuff over next couple of days here.