Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
5 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I’m not so sure it’s looking dry actually this region will do best for convective snow showers / possible streamer(s). With snow on ground it won’t melt really, nights will be very cold -10C possible quite widely in rural locations. With the flow looking slack it looks perfect for some really low minima. 

Streamers are usually too far east for me, so I’m hoping for some troughs bringing more organised snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Nothing but rain/drizzle here but I suspect anywhere with elevation is seeing snowfall 

Posted
1 minute ago, KentishDan said:

Nothing but rain/drizzle here but I suspect anywhere with elevation is seeing snowfall 

same down here and i have a feeling that this is all we will get next week:sorry: hope i am proved very wrong

Posted
Just now, CK1981 said:

Streamers are usually too far east for me, so I’m hoping for some troughs bringing more organised snow.

That is true but showers will come your way at least some I reckon.. current sweet spot around Medway up a hill I just have a feeling that area will do best in getting the snow showers and be persistent too at times. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

That is true but showers will come your way at least some I reckon.. current sweet spot around Medway up a hill I just have a feeling that area will do best in getting the snow showers and be persistent too at times. 

Worst case scenario, and probably likely knowing my luck, snow to the west from fronts off the Atlantic, snow to the east from streamers and bugger all here ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

I think we are fairly close to Thames Streamer territory, even more so on the ECM 12z. Low heights, unstable airmass, Easterly flow.. I'm struggling not to get excited, for the first time in 4 years we might actually be the best placed.

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

The models IMO are notorious for downplaying convective PPN. It’s very much a nowcasting thing.

I nicked this off Nick :D  Potential for some serious amount of snow in most eastern counties even where @alexisj9 is! 

5D081135-7076-41C8-814A-A3F495D23169.thumb.png.3b18933b6ba28441a715e6f27afbd347.png

Could be 5”+ for coastal areas by the end of next week if we get a good 1mm=1cm of snow rate. Long way out though. Cold in first as they say...

Posted
9 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

The models IMO are notorious for downplaying convective PPN. It’s very much a nowcasting thing.

I nicked this off Nick :D  Potential for some serious amount of snow in most eastern counties even where @alexisj9 is! 

5D081135-7076-41C8-814A-A3F495D23169.thumb.png.3b18933b6ba28441a715e6f27afbd347.png

That'd be 10-15cm here if it were all to fall as snow and settle, something must be wrong? :oops:

Posted
9 minutes ago, PLANET THANET said:

same down here and i have a feeling that this is all we will get next week:sorry: hope i am proved very wrong

I'm in Thanet too..hopefully being right on the east coast is going to help. Hoping to get at least a dusting on sunday night/monday morning. As per usual met office and bbc weather are still not registering anything. I'm snowdancing my weeble off over here, this cold snap better come! 

Posted
10 minutes ago, Southender said:

Could be 5”+ for coastal areas by the end of next week if we get a good 1mm=1cm of snow rate. Long way out though. Cold in first as they say...

I think it’s downplaying it too elsewhere especially! Could see in excess of a foot in a few places. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

foxes have been acting weird here, they were moon walking in my garden last night.

Moonwalking Fox Index.................:D

Although...I'm looking at the buzz about cold and snow and my mind does return to the guy running up Marlow High St with three sledges...was MSI correct? Who is that man and what does he know??

I bet it just ends up very cold and dry though.

Posted
18 minutes ago, Delka said:

That'd be 10-15cm here if it were all to fall as snow and settle, something must be wrong? :oops:

i'm actually getting a feeling the triangle is in this time.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Snowpuff said:

I'm in Thanet too..hopefully being right on the east coast is going to help. Hoping to get at least a dusting on sunday night/monday morning. As per usual met office and bbc weather are still not registering anything. I'm snowdancing my weeble off over here, this cold snap better come! 

if we get any snow I will put it down to you "snowdancing your weeble off" and everybody in thanet should thank you :hi:

• Like 1

Posted

Don’t like the look of the ECM at 216 with the Atlantic barrelling through.

I’m sure it won’t move in that easily against the block.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

i'll be in my regional thread for a fare old time i susspect in coming days...given forming synoptics...

*i hear screams of please no* from my fellow south-easterners..???

I will look forward to your posts :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
13 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

Don’t like the look of the ECM at 216 with the Atlantic barrelling through.

I’m sure it won’t move in that easily against the block.

To me let that happen, with the uppers still conducive, a battleground could easily occur.

ECM0-216.GIF?01-0

Edit: And is only a pathetic attempt

ECM0-240.GIF?01-0

Edited by Stuie W
Data

Posted
Just now, Stuie W said:

To me let that happen, with the uppers still conducive, a battleground could easily occur.

ECM0-216.GIF?01-0

That would be good. The uppers are watered down further at 240 as a northwesterly sets in, but I’m sure that’s all too progressive.

The block will fight back!

Posted
1 minute ago, CK1981 said:

That would be good. The uppers are watered down further at 240 as a northwesterly sets in, but I’m sure that’s all too progressive.

The block will fight back!

It is quite an insane setup which due to my poor memory hasn`t been seen since 1758...

Posted
2 minutes ago, Stuie W said:

It is quite an insane setup which due to my poor memory hasn`t been seen since 1758...

Finally something of interest for us snow and cold starved southerners!

• Like 1

Posted

local weather on bbc lookeast for  monday snow for our area  she said

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Let`s hope so CK, I was actually pretty chuffed with December TBH but we are miles apart in location. I have to also say, pretty chuffed for Mr Murr who has stuck by his guns with this setup and even if it isn`t a battering easterly, it is one. That takes guts in a place like this so hope he get`s something out of it.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Stuie W said:

Let`s hope so CK, I was actually pretty chuffed with December TBH but we are miles apart in location. I have to also say, pretty chuffed for Mr Murr who has stuck by his guns with this setup and even if it isn`t a battering easterly, it is one. That takes guts in a place like this so hope he get`s something out of it.

I totally agree! 

I hope we all get some proper winter weather next week. So far it’s been crap here with a couple of poor wet snow events and barely any frosts.

• Like 2