Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

One thing’s for certain, if these epic charts do come off, I don’t know how Heathrow will cope!

Or anywhere in the south for that matter.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, alexisj9 said:

Just now, alexisj9 said:

That’s very true!

Posted

I'm not Steve but I'll give it ago. I think your question was about what the 850 temps would translate to on the ground. Roughly speaking -10 850s would probably be just above freezing, maybe 1c. Anything below -10 and you'd be looking at ice days. There are other factors involved, which I don't really understand, but this gives a rough idea.

sorry this was in response to a post from TheBeastFromTheEast on the previous page. Not sure what happened to the quote.....

Edited by snowblind

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 minutes ago, Great Plum said:

Whatever you do everyone - tell no one! We cannot jinx this!

I wouldn't dream of it, no chance the 18z will happen, as it is now anyway, it will be cold though. I just expect the warm sectors not to be completely squeezed out, in between the easterly pushes. Guess we'll see in the wash.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Probably have south westerlies tomorrow instead, but just in case I'm going to panic buy essentials, Bounty and Quavers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

I'll wait up for the ensembles but I think the 18z is very much a pipe dream. It's good to see but the chances of it happening are about 0. 

I might just be being overly cautious given the constant let downs so far this winter, but I wont be getting excited until snow starts falling out of the sky,

Posted
11 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Didn't Heathrow invest in a load of really expensive snow clearing equipment after the 2010 fiasco, which they haven't really needed since?

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Great Plum said:

Whatever you do everyone - tell no one! We cannot jinx this!

Reading through the threads and looking at the charts this evening I’m dying to tell my other half. Not daring to for fear of the jinx though!:rofl:

Mentioned it to my 10 year old earlier though as he’d love snow again on his birthday. Did say it’s a super small chance though so hopefully I’ve  not blown it!

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
13 minutes ago, snowblind said:

I'm not Steve but I'll give it ago. I think your question was about what the 850 temps would translate to on the ground. Roughly speaking -10 850s would probably be just above freezing, maybe 1c. Anything below -10 and you'd be looking at ice days. There are other factors involved, which I don't really understand, but this gives a rough idea.

sorry this was in response to a post from TheBeastFromTheEast on the previous page. Not sure what happened to the quote.....

With cold air entrenched then it will take a lot for the temps to rise above freezing - maybe for a couple of hours during the day it is warmer than -10ºC at 850 hPa. With snow cover and sharp frosts then you could probably rule that out especially if any surface air flow is coming off the continent

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

So I was just checking the weather forecast on here and my goodness did I get a shock. The temperatures are so low. (I thought that was exciting) then scroll across to the snow risk and my mouth fell to the floor (whhhhhhhhhattttttttttt) I checked my location about six times to make sure it was the right Rye harbour. I think the last time I saw snow chances like that down here were in 2010. NOW please tell me WHAT ON EARTH HAS BEEN GOING ON TODAY (I have been busy) :yahoo: I might just pop back and get a screen shot to remember what it looks like with all those lovely reds.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

Oi ooiiii 18z!!!! All looking a bit peachy..... let's all hope it stays that way!!!x

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
25 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I did warn you all the other day, yes 18z is mental alright. I have stocked up now with cans of soup and tea bags, my freezer is full to bursting point and got my Marvel milk powder of course, it can snow all of February and I will be just fine!:yahoo::D:rofl::cold::drunk-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
19 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

Reading through the threads and looking at the charts this evening I’m dying to tell my other half. Not daring to for fear of the jinx though!:rofl:

Mentioned it to my 10 year old earlier though as he’d love snow again on his birthday. Did say it’s a super small chance though so hopefully I’ve  not blown it!

Noooooooooo don't do it!!:laugh:   Please, pretty please!:give_rose:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

On a slightly different side . I can’t believe what a beautiful night it is. It’s so bright outside and beautiful and clear with the incredible super moon. 

• Like 3

Posted

I’ve seen enough charts to last me a lifetime I’m quite excited I must say and I do not get carried into easily. I notice looking at radar some patchy showers are moving towards our region...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

I’ve seen enough charts to last me a lifetime I’m quite excited I must say and I do not get carried into easily. I notice looking at radar some patchy showers are moving towards our region...

Yup, East Anglia should get some form of very light sleet/snow, plus it looks to be intensifying slightly as it moves SE. Could provide a dusting for some.

• Like 1