Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
4 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

I do hope we all see a decent cold outbreak, but I’m seriously losing faith. Since the end of November I must have read the word ‘potential’ about 1000 times in the MOD thread and look what it’s given us.....

I’ve had 4 snow events. 2 that settled. By recent standards I’m walking in a winter wonderland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

More rain,crap wind,if I had a white flag,i'd wave it,terrible again

Posted
8 minutes ago, Spikey M said:

I’ve had 4 snow events. 2 that settled. By recent standards I’m walking in a winter wonderland.

Only 2 here and both were crap. The first settled but melted within a couple of hours, the second didn’t even settle on the cars. Also, we’ve only had a couple of air frosts since the end of November. I know last year was awful, but this has hardly been much better, considering all the ‘potential’ ?

I believe it snowed here last Sunday, so make that 3. I was out of the country, so missed it, but have been told it lasted about an hour.

Edited by CK1981

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

I live just north of Southend and of those '4 events' only 1 was of any note (near 1 inch of slushy snow) which was almost gone by the next morning, brief slushy dusting the other day and the others were brief wet snow falling without settling. By 80's/90's standards not great!...but going by the last 4 winters quite good which says it all.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

I live just north of Southend and of those '4 events' only 1 was of any note (near 1 inch of slushy snow) which was almost gone by the next morning, brief slushy dusting the other day and the others were brief wet snow falling without settling. By 80's/90's standards not great!...but going by the last 4 winters quite good which says it all.

Absolutely agreed

Posted

I know there are some great runs showing 2 weeks away, but they always seem to be at that range. If we are still looking at the same time frame come early / mid February, it’s then going to look like a cold March, which will be useless down here.

Edited by CK1981

Posted
15 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

Only 2 here and both were crap. The first settled but melted within a couple of hours, the second didn’t even settle on the cars. Also, we’ve only had a couple of air frosts since the end of November. I know last year was awful, but this has hardly been much better, considering all the ‘potential’ ?

I believe it snowed here last Sunday, so make that 3. I was out of the country, so missed it, but have been told it lasted about an hour.

I can barely remember what a good frost looks like. They were common when I was growing up, I barely see them these days. I’ve had to scrape my car twice this year.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Spikey M said:

I can barely remember what a good frost looks like. They were common when I was growing up, I barely see them these days. I’ve had to scrape my car twice this year.

Totally agree with you. As a kid I remember frequent thick frost and freezing fog with all surfaces covered in rime. We never seem to get that these days :( 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather

Oh my days that Phil Avery on the weather forecast bbc one, he said those teeth grindingly infuriating words ‘at least it will be mild’ 

:angry::angry:

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, CK1981 said:

Totally agree with you. As a kid I remember frequent thick frost and freezing fog with all surfaces covered in rime. We never seem to get that these days :( 

I agree! I grew up in Yorkshire and it would snow a lot!! The rime and mornings if sheer back ice down my road were incredible. Nothing in kent in the 4 years that I've lived here. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Oh my days that Phil Avery on the weather forecast bbc one, he said those teeth grindingly infuriating words ‘at least it will be mild’ 

:angry::angry:

Hahaaa. I saw that too. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather
1 minute ago, James Oliver said:

Hahaaa. I saw that too. 

Why the heck to they have to do it, they never say at least it will be ‘bone chillingly cold!’ Still if that’s the total of my anxst and worries for the day I’m doing very well! ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

I'd be happy with a frost in Feb, with a little fog for a couple of days, better than no winter at all. Always mild here these days.:unsure2:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, Spikey M said:

I remember in the mid to late 80's going down the local golf driving range in the evening (Woodham Mortimer) to get in my winter practice and on numerous occasions in November the temp being at freezing point whilst down there (they had a big thermometer on the wall) and this was at around 8pm - how many times can you say that now?...other than late November 2010 we struggle in this neck of the woods to get air frosts in November.

I think the coldest night I've experienced this winter has been around -2c back in December but can't remember seeing any frozen ponds or lakes this winter at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Bring back rob mcalwee

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

cool breeze and sunny. Not freezing, but not quite as mild. Really am looking forward to the mornings that i can get away without a coat. Feels like i've been wearing winter stuffs for years.

Posted

6c here this morning with a brief hail shower at 8am. Now seems to be brightening up which would be good as the large puddle in my garden could do with a dry day!

Anyone know what the synoptics were at this time in 2010? Just looking back through my old photos looking for snow and found the ones of our streamer on 10th-11th Feb that year..

43E02DF5-D1BB-4963-9B97-20A8EC642586.jpeg

36AFAABE-E92E-43B9-AF86-DC0F9B346096.jpeg

932DE427-E27D-4581-9ACC-F8BD50F4B379.jpeg

37816D1C-905C-4C32-9CE1-366CD3337BA5.jpeg

1681AACD-35E8-4BA1-AF72-8A37755CF3B1.jpeg

36EFE41F-B46C-43A5-ADD6-D00E0DA43636.jpeg

0C7DC4DE-EB0A-41F8-A101-D6B66D27D735.jpeg

Edited by lottiekent
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

a bit chillier out there this morning, we had a very  heavy shower come over at about 08.00 this morning. At least it seems to have brightened up a little bit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Very pleasant morning here, sunny skies, a moderate breeze from the SW and currently 8C. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Very pleasant morning here, sunny skies, a moderate breeze from the SW and currently 8C. 

Just had the smallest little shower.. Most loverly rainbow....  

Fotor_151687469499751.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
9 minutes ago, TN9 said:

Just had the smallest little shower.. Most loverly rainbow....  

Fotor_151687469499751.jpg

Pretty! Double rainbow, too. 

Posted
11 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

I remember in the mid to late 80's going down the local golf driving range in the evening (Woodham Mortimer) to get in my winter practice and on numerous occasions in November the temp being at freezing point whilst down there (they had a big thermometer on the wall) and this was at around 8pm - how many times can you say that now?...other than late November 2010 we struggle in this neck of the woods to get air frosts in November.

I think the coldest night I've experienced this winter has been around -2c back in December but can't remember seeing any frozen ponds or lakes this winter at all.

1980S, you knew winter and christmas were coming when you started going to school in the frosty mornings, by bonfire night you had to wrap up really warm.

• Like 3

Posted

The beast from the east is showing in fi once again and I do hope this trend continues. One thing that does make me laugh though, even with bitterly cold uppers, the continent goes into the freezer, but as we are surrounded by water, our day time temperatures remain above zero. You couldn’t make it up ?

Posted
17 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

The beast from the east is showing in fi once again and I do hope this trend continues. One thing that does make me laugh though, even with bitterly cold uppers, the continent goes into the freezer, but as we are surrounded by water, our day time temperatures remain above zero. You couldn’t make it up ?

Oh dear, the fi easterly has completely disappeared on the 6z run. You just know we’ll still be chasing this phantom easterly at Easter ?