Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
26 minutes ago, Paul1968 said:

What's the point if afterwards all we will see is double digit maximums and more rain for the rest of the week? What a waste of snow (if it happens)

No snow is a waste to me, especially when this winter most of us in here have been hard-pressed. The double digits arrive very late in the day, on Wednesday it could reach 14C in London. Yuck.

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, runboy said:

So is this snow going to make it to east Norfolk or will it fizzle out before then?

I'd say Norwich area has a shot, but towards the coast especially in the east of Norfolk the chances become next to zero.

Edited by Delka
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Let’s face it, this winter will be as just as bland as many before. I’m sick of seeing the MOD thread showing mediocre potential 2 weeks away. I said, 2 weeks ago, nothing special would happen (and was mocked for saying it), but look where we are....I rest my case!!

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, CK1981 said:

Let’s face it, this winter will be as just as bland as many before. I’m sick of seeing the MOD thread showing mediocre potential 2 weeks away. I said, 2 weeks ago, nothing special would happen (and was mocked for saying it), but look where we are....I rest my case!!

Pinning my hopes on MJO its progression looks interesting for February. Let’s hope it doesn’t veer of course. 

A032F777-AD3C-4C62-8489-8E9E43CA4117.thumb.gif.3d017932c616f21f46fd2560490db4e9.gif 

Posted
9 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Pinning my hopes on MJO its progression looks interesting for February. Let’s hope it doesn’t veer of course. 

A032F777-AD3C-4C62-8489-8E9E43CA4117.thumb.gif.3d017932c616f21f46fd2560490db4e9.gif 

Let’s hope so! Don’t get me wrong, I’m the biggest coldie ever, but sometimes there’s too much hopecasting in the MOD thread and it only leads to disappointment for those who take all as gospel.

• Like 2

Posted

Also, if we do get the MJO into a favourable phase the lag will be approximately 10 days. The further this heads into February, the stronger the sun gets, so it’s then game over for our neck of the woods....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Temperature defently dropping but the raIn had joe cleared , no luck It seems so far this year with the snow , those up north have had it good , just seen a beautiful sky , the picture does not do it justice .

Edit , I can’t get it to up load anyway .

Edited by Mark wheeler

Posted
16 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

Also, if we do get the MJO into a favourable phase the lag will be approximately 10 days. The further this heads into February, the stronger the sun gets, so it’s then game over for our neck of the woods....

I’d say up to mid March this region can do reasonably well for wintry weather.

Possibly it’s gameover for sustained snow cover but February is very much a proper winter month, more so than December I’d say despite the lengthening days. There has been incidences like 1947 rare as hens teeth of snow being on ground till latter side of March that winter only really got going in late January. In the spring months we actually tend to see the highest frequency of northerlies and easterlies - sod’s law really. We could still manage a snow event fairly late into March enjoy it and get out there while it is there. It has been an age since we have had a proper cold February. In 2012 we sort of got a glimpse of it in the first half, I’m slightly hopeful next month will feature something we have been looking for.

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Temperature defently dropping but the raIn had joe cleared , no luck It seems so far this year with the snow , those up north have had it good , just seen a beautiful sky , the picture does not do it justice .

Edit , I can’t get it to up load anyway .

Some patience is needed well we’ve needed a lot of that in the tank with it being five years. We’re not even in the closing third yet, I’ve always fancied our chances more deeper into winter.

as the days get longer.. :wink: 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,snow+gales

Greater chance of frost/fog as we move towards next month according to met office outlook as for snow err no sorry cant see it myself would glad to be wrong though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
29 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Some patience is needed well we’ve needed a lot of that in the tank with it being five years. We’re not even in the closing third yet, I’ve always fancied our chances more deeper into winter.

as the days get longer.. :wink: 

Hope your right Daniel , for now the snow drought goes on and on . 

Edited by Mark wheeler

Posted
13 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Hope your right Daniel , for now the snow drought goes on and on . 

What goes down must go up it can’t go on endlessly. Possible a slushy CM or two tomorrow. :yahoo::rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Anyone wanting some snow. Have a look at some of the pics being posted in the the Scotland thread. Amazing!!

Posted

I’ve not been monitoring NMM so I can’t say whether this is new however for tomorrow’s snow has some decent intensity PPN falling as snow in this region. Potentially 1-3CM to low levels, and then back to rain.

6078668F-525C-4EFE-BDB8-08040EA44F52.thumb.png.bd682f66e59b9712524c3017ab9c095e.png

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, snowfish1 said:

Nizzer

ZERO. 

Not quite models have actually ‘upgraded’ for us further south especially for East Anglia. Even the less keen GFS has some leading snow for most of us. A few hours of snow 1-3 falling perhaps accumulating if it’s heavy enough and then back to rain resulting in no trace. North of Crawley and east of west London IMO I see snow falling.

D374671F-2813-454F-8250-A186F0B9E6F7.thumb.gif.5f8174f397c152ac9cc05eb7ea9c007f.gif5E78C579-E3A3-49E9-9624-0184D97A5370.thumb.gif.da4c0f6b44d881744461924e7a7c5377.gif

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

snow to rain is

a bit yuck.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, lassie23 said:

No point in having snow if it turns to rain after a couple of hours, I hope it's just rain.

Agree, completely pointless. As is slush, rather it was mild if we can’t get proper snow and cold.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
2 hours ago, lassie23 said:

No point in having snow if it turns to rain after a couple of hours, I hope it's just rain.

Disagree. 

Living in the SE of England I would never wish a way a snow chance. Yes even one that produces 1 hour of snow before rain. 

At least it’s snow - give me an hour of snow preceding rain then just rain anyday! 

You live in the UK  - cherish every flake that falls!! 

Snow chance (slim chance) looks north of M25 tomorrow anyway. So you’ll get your wish for an all rain event by the looks of it anyway. 

• Like 5

Posted
8 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Disagree. 

Living in the SE of England I would never wish a way a snow chance. Yes even one that produces 1 hour of snow before rain. 

At least it’s snow - give me an hour of snow preceding rain then just rain anyday! 

You live in the UK  - cherish every flake that falls!! 

Snow chance (slim chance) looks north of M25 tomorrow anyway. So you’ll get your wish for an all rain event by the looks of it anyway. 

North of M25?  It's a circle (roughly).  Which bit are you on about?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Looks like it could be raining for the entire daytime tomorrow here. 

Grass is already waterlogged!