Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything out of the ordinary, except extreme heat
3 hours ago, Katrine Basso said:

It has been quite windy in Thurrock during the night and early hours of the morning.  The QE11 bridge was closed both ways from midnight and opened in sometime in the morning.  This caused long tailbacks of traffic that only started clearing by midday.  There has been widespread disruptions to the train and bus services.

Yes! I joined the long line of traffic in Daiglen Drive at 10.45 and took an hour to get out of Ockendon this morning. Ironically, my daughter left for work in Tilbury at 7.30 and arrived at work twenty minutes later! the traffic going towards London on the A13 was a nightmare though, she said. I find Ockendon to be one of the worst affected places when the bridge is shut!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
58 minutes ago, Danny* said:

The Aperge is of interest for Sunday, though the system is much further South compared to other models

APERGE1.thumb.jpg.9bd9da8322d9eaae391089cbbf3ada8f.jpg

And the snow still misses my little corner.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 2

Posted

Amazes me that when we have a cold Flow from the North West, with the showers packing in, and the air is cold enough to produce snow, the showers never seem to make it across to our area. But then as soon as the air warms slightly which means all showers will be of rain, hey presto, every shower makes it across to East Anglia ?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow
23 minutes ago, fatyido said:

Amazes me that when we have a cold Flow from the North West, with the showers packing in, and the air is cold enough to produce snow, the showers never seem to make it across to our area. But then as soon as the air warms slightly which means all showers will be of rain, hey presto, every shower makes it across to East Anglia ?

Sarcasm at its best and tbh 200% warranted. Bang on, if rain and mild is forecast it never fails to deliver. A chance of white stuff called snow and NAH .... don't be silly !! only prolonged northerlies/North easterlies/ easterlies deliver for the South East corner when will we learn not to be stupid enough to

get our hopes up 

Edited by snowfish1
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

Meggy the QE11 seems to be very prone to closures, either because of the weather or traffic accidents.  London road and the roads connecting to the Pilgrims roundabout is another place that has heavy traffic and is very prone to traffic accidents.  I still don't understand how BBC weather did not put a weather warning for Thurrock and surrounding areas last night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
13 minutes ago, fatyido said:

Indeed, some very strange weather patterns particularly around the London area. I reckon them Romans must have been very clever, it wasn't the Thames that made them start building Londinium in 43AD, it was the lack of snowfall. They probably saw lots of snow all over Britannia and Albion on their campaigns and thought, lets build the Capital over there where where it never snows, and that was it. :laugh:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe thunderstorms

Hi guys,  New here so no one will recognise me. Anyways, I work for Essex county council, and take part in the gritting. I’ve been watching the models and constantly checking everything all winter. Sunday looks interesting, although not a runner, a similar potential snow event, similar to the 2 snow events in mid and late December, so will be marginal and transient, although this winter there has been a few letdowns, aswell as great days for snow. Who else holds the excitement back until 24 hours before 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Sunday's event isn't interesting me, time I'll be up then it will either 1) be raining 2) changed to rain. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
19 minutes ago, Katrine Basso said:

Meggy the QE11 seems to be very prone to closures, either because of the weather or traffic accidents.  London road and the roads connecting to the Pilgrims roundabout is another place that has heavy traffic and is very prone to traffic accidents.  I still don't understand how BBC weather did not put a weather warning for Thurrock and surrounding areas last night.

Yes your right there, I'm just over the other side of the river and it was terrible here last night too, so fed up with all this wind. My back yard is a right mess with things and some furniture I just put out to dispose of having all been blown about, and the flippin racket all night, no sleep. Next year I am going away in Jan, anywhere, not staying here, fed up with it, not snowed in Jan here in what seems like decades, get bits of the white stuff Nov sometimes and barely into early Winter, IE the slushfest of 10th Dec, then more slush in late March or April some years, Feb has been a bit better, think about 6/7 years ago got some Feb slush/snow.:angry:

Anyway my mums carer is from Guinea Bissau and I explained to here today that when I was a young lad we had cold in Jan/Feb quite regularly, frozen ponds, frosts, fog that would last quite a few days on the Thames, you would hear the fog horns at night from the boats going along the Thames, and sometimes some snow. Now we just get mild and storms, thats it really, bit rain, bit less mild, then very mild again....YUKKKKK!!!!:doh:

Edited by snowray

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

No point getting hopes up for the non-snow event on sunday,we all know it will be rain for us here in the southeast,bring on the summer,hopefully some huge night-time thunderstorms,so I can go and watch it roll in at camber beach again,magical watching it come across the channel,booming and crashing

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I wonder where this region of wintry precip being modelled by GFS tomorrow evening is coming from?

7DCE79A4-0122-4D03-8733-3295BDBCA297.thumb.gif.532cbc0ac06aaf8bfd616db4d459c6b5.gif

No idea but yet again it' missing me lol.

Posted
3 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

No idea but yet again it' missing me lol.

Can’t be coming off the North Sea, flow is a cold westerly maybe it’s a trough feature..

Posted
Just now, Daniel* said:

Can’t be coming off the North Sea, flow is a cold westerly maybe it’s a trough feature..

That is where it looks like it' coming from though lol. Not looked at it in models but of the wind is still nw then it must be a trough.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
8 hours ago, Reefseeker said:

Woke me up at 2.30 and I didn't get back to sleep until gone 5am. As @Surrey said, it was a proper shaking the house, banging over the roof, bending the trees and rattling down the chimney affair; each time I thought it was moving off, suddenly a new series of gusts would start up again. Amazingly our fences have survived and the M25 was moving this morning, although numerous trees down seem to be affecting train services.

Fair play , slept trough it , where’s our ****** snow though, it’s now becoming ridiculous. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Quiet in here tonight,think we need a good few days of heavy snow,to liven it up a little bit

Posted
34 minutes ago, snowrye said:

Quiet in here tonight, think we need a good few days of heavy snow, to liven it up a little bit

Yes but I can't see where its going to come from in January at any rate, fingers crossed for February now I guess. 

Having said this, theres a few very cold members there after the 26th, wont take much for things to change but without the SSW I guess we will always end up with the scraps from the weather gods table. :search:

graphe_ens3.gif

Edited by snowray
  • Like 1

Posted

Will  there be any snow on the Chilterns this weekend? I might head up there on Sunday. Still am in awe of what i saw the first time i was up there! It proves you don't have to go to far from London to experience a winter wonderland in the right conditions!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

looking interesting here for sunday........having pheasant instead of roast chicken for a change:D oh there might be some weather too:good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Frosty, clear, and cold! very nice!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

looking interesting here for sunday........having pheasant instead of roast chicken for a change:D oh there might be some weather too:good:

Nothing interesting about rain:rofl:

Another thing.. Why do they spell pheasant with a ph.. Why don't they just spell it with an f:unknw:

Posted
22 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Cold here today - just 0.6c as we speak 

It is pretty cold 1.5C unusual from a westerly the automated forecasts look interesting tomorrow. For my location I just have rain but we may see some transient snowfall especially over higher ground looks possible in SE.

072FE484-C2E5-41F5-BB08-EC058BABE307.thumb.png.48cb671aa7e01d390e2fd73f7e6d08d8.png

Edited by Daniel*