Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Just to put this storm into context with '87, there were an estimated 15 million, yes you read right, 15,000,000 trees downed in '87. Tree after tree after tree. Some roads were blocked for weeks, huge areas of Rendlesham Forest in Suffolk were flattened, chain saws were busy for weeks. I know as I was one of those using one! On top of that was flooding, widespread structural damage and nearly everyone's garden looking like a bomb had hit it. This was a mere breeze in comparison :-D 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

I've never heard winds like that (I slept through '87) here before.
Woken at about 4am and it genuinely felt like my ceiling artex was going to fall down and the flow of wind through my loft into my bedroom opened the door.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Have you got any high voltage power lines within a couple of miles of you? Might have been sparks caused by the violently swinging lines touching each other. From the post from @SteveyKemp58 above there seems to be quite a few power outages in East Anglia atm. I can remember the Oct 87 storm and the sparking lines around here looked like a firework display!

Not sure, but that’s a possibility.

Hair raising journey this morning, several trees down along A12, thankfully cleared by the time I did my return journey, saw a car completely smashed to pieces, police on scene, hope nobody was hurt. Slowly calming down here, just helped neighbour pull down what was left of her fence, thankfully we have some metal fencing between us, or my dogs would be having a lovely time in her garden :oops:

• Like 2

Posted
25 minutes ago, moogyboobles said:

I've never heard winds like that (I slept through '87) here before.
Woken at about 4am and it genuinely felt like my ceiling artex was going to fall down and the flow of wind through my loft into my bedroom opened the door.

Lol 87 was far worse

this was barely a light breeze here 

Posted
16 minutes ago, Spikey M said:

This was nothing compared to 1987. Millions of trees down, houses lost roofs, people lost lives. 

It was quite a potent storm but indeed incomparable well certainly here bus stops were literally ‘uprooted’, for Norfolk I know someone who lives near Norwich and it was really bad structural damage, power lines down, trees down. 15,000 homes in Essex alone were without power perhaps most still are. Quite an impactful storm relative to average gale - one that deserved a name. StormX? 

• Like 3

Posted
16 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

It was quite a potent storm but indeed incomparable well certainly here bus stops were literally ‘uprooted’, for Norfolk I know someone who lives near Norwich and it was really bad structural damage, power lines down, trees down. 15,000 homes in Essex alone were without power perhaps most still are. Quite an impactful storm relative to average gale - one that deserved a name. StormX? 

Apparently the Metoffice didn't name it as the French Met named it Storm David. 

Pinned Tweet

Met Office

For clarification #StormFionn named by @MetEireann affected Ireland on Tuesday night with minimal impact on the UK. Last night's gales were from #StormDavid named by French meteorological service @meteofrance.

• Like 1

Posted

My bedroom window is west facing on a hill exposed to The Wash and I can't say that I have ever experienced winds like that before in the 6 years I have lived here. My neighbour this morning said his weather station recorded a gust of 69mph which is crazy! We've been under amber warnings for much less, and to think that some places further south weren't even under a yellow warning until it was practically on their doorsteps is insane.. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, SnowBear said:

Pinned Tweet

Met Office

For clarification #StormFionn named by @MetEireann affected Ireland on Tuesday night with minimal impact on the UK. Last night's gales were from #StormDavid named by French meteorological service @meteofrance.

If that's the case they should have advertised it as a named storm even here as Storm David instead of completely leaving it out of conversation! It seems like one giant mess up on their end. It would have been best if they'd covered all with a yellow warning even though the uncertainty instead of having to issue one when it was near too late. I love the Metoffice sometimes but they've had a few too many failed forecasts recently

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..

67.2mph gust recorded on my garden weather station at 5:07am this morning, strongest gust I've recorded with it in the 13 months I've had it set up.

the peak wind here in Haywards Heath, West Sussex was between 5:00am and 6:40am.

No damage to my garden or house, glad that my 240ft fences stood up to it no problem, I replaced them all on my own last year, glad I used concrete posts and 2 foot deep holes with loads of concrete in them.

Posted
33 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Stealing Chris Fawkes tweets eh....

Posted
27 minutes ago, SnowBear said:

Pinned Tweet

Met Office

I think that’s nonsense in all honesty previously we’ve had named storms with different European names from the same system. Why have a named system then if they can’t be fussed? It needs a complete overhaul there doesn’t appear to be a standardised measure. For instance Storm Desmond was it in 2015 the impacts were rain and flooding not wind. Which defeats the purpose of being named a storm, which should be based on wind impacts well apparently is it?

Posted
54 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

The Met absolutely dropped the ball with this. When I went to bed we weren’t even in the warning zone. I awoke at 4am to howling wind. The bins are all over the road, and - as you say - there are many without power in my neck of the woods.

it was far worse than the storms that we have been given names and warnings for so far this year. 

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

DCB80D49-EB83-4ABD-995C-EA30F2800769.jpeg

Lol, I am sure more than a couple of people have come up with "StormX". I doubt Daniel even saw that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

This storm was significant across East Anglia and parts of the N and E of our region, enough to have been named, imho. It wasn’t quite as bad here but there was still disruption to travel at London’s airports and to much of the rail network.

Posted
2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

This storm was significant across East Anglia and parts of the N and E of our region, enough to have been named, imho. It wasn’t quite as bad here but there was still disruption to travel at London’s airports and to much of the rail network.

A few trees down in the Croydon Borough

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Don't understand the who -ha about the storm naming, it's just unbelievable how awful the met was with the warning in general. 

Feel sorry for next door little girl's  trampoline which was her Christmas present, it is near on unusable :( 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Dami said:

Don't understand the who -ha about the storm naming, it's just unbelievable how awful the met was with the warning in general. 

Feel sorry for next door little girl's  trampoline which was her Christmas present, it is near on unusable :( 

awww see if house insurance could cover storm damage?

Posted
6 hours ago, Mark wheeler said:

Probably the only one on here having read the posts , but I didn’t hear the wind last night and now I have left for work ( now on the train ) the worse of the weather has seemed to have passed through  , Sure a few gusts of winds but nothing damaging here anymore , fortunately I witnessed no structural damage either , there must have been some severe gusts earlier in the night as I see @Reefseeker post from a few hours ago and she only leaves a mile or 2 away .

Woke me up at 2.30 and I didn't get back to sleep until gone 5am. As @Surrey said, it was a proper shaking the house, banging over the roof, bending the trees and rattling down the chimney affair; each time I thought it was moving off, suddenly a new series of gusts would start up again. Amazingly our fences have survived and the M25 was moving this morning, although numerous trees down seem to be affecting train services.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..
12 minutes ago, Dami said:

What difference would it make if the  Met Office had given a amber warning for wind?

most people don't take any notice or even see them anyway, it's mostly people like us that are in to the weather.

Trampolines need to be anchored down with U shaped stakes in to the ground, then they don't blow away and smash themselves up, or smash fences down on there way, but most people don't bother, as it's then a little more awkward to move it to cut the grass.

My kids trampoline is still exactly where it always is, but I've got it staked down into the soil, my garden recorded top wind speed of 67.2mph... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

8 degrees here, beautiful day, my windows are open feels like spring, spring in January. 

Edited by DonnaThw