Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
3 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

Thought I was seeing things, was waiting for the inevitable loud bang of thunder but nothing came. 

Have you got any high voltage power lines within a couple of miles of you? Might have been sparks caused by the violently swinging lines touching each other. From the post from @SteveyKemp58 above there seems to be quite a few power outages in East Anglia atm. I can remember the Oct 87 storm and the sparking lines around here looked like a firework display!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
47 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

Crazily intense here from 4am onwards. It really needed more than a yellow warning.

I think you're right on that point Yarmy. And I see some other weather organisations are questioning why the Met Office didn't name the storm.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Blazerblue said:

Holy moly, this is horrible, fences down (not mine.....yet) trees down, went for two minute dog walk, bad idea, stuff flying everywhere. Not sure if the drive to Lowestoft this morning will be possible, must be trees down blocking roads. Hope the worst is nearly over.

How this was not named I’ll never know, my fence is really damaged everything blown about. It more than fit the criteria it was modelled but yet not a thing! IMO there should have been amber for parts of EA.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Can scarcely believe it that there is now only a gentle breeze. What a difference 2 hours can make!! 

Mad how some people who will have slept through it will be questioning how there has been trees down and power cuts all over! I've heard that 87' was very similar in that respect, very short lived, but incredibly severe. 

• Like 1

Posted

Wife just left for work, shes seen a greenhouse laying in the path, got on the bus and didnt make it out the village and the bus is blocked by a large tree.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
23 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Can scarcely believe it that there is now only a gentle breeze. What a difference 2 hours can make!! 

Mad how some people who will have slept through it will be questioning how there has been trees down and power cuts all over! I've heard that 87' was very similar in that respect, very short lived, but incredibly severe. 

‘87 was a very different storm, the wind started howling here before midnight and increased until it peaked at around 6:30am. Trees were coming down all through the night, there were loads of flashes as the power lines were affected and the tv wasn’t working in the morning.  The noise was incredible, it is something I will never forget as I stayed up all night to watch. At one point (around 4pm) I saw a street bin flying down my road at great speed about 3m in the air. Unbelievable stuff.

The wind has calmed here dramatically but there is still the odd noisy gust. Little damage here, barring fallen dead twigs and branches, no trees down that I’ve noticed. Sounds like it’s much worse towards the N and E of our region, as predicted. Hope no one is hurt or has suffered damage to their home. 

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

This will be my 5th winter wth no lying snow.. nxt 2 weeks are looking mild with s.westerlys.

What is going on wth winter for us sotherners.

My kids have quite honestly forgoten what snow is !

On a lighter note neighbours shed is on its side...

Totally depressed..

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, craigore said:

This will be my 5th winter wth no lying snow.. nxt 2 weeks are looking mild with s.westerlys.

Totally depressed..

It seems to come in batches. The 90’s were good, 00’s bad, decent run for a few years from 2010, but now back to the crap.

Posted
19 minutes ago, craigore said:

Totally depressed..

Not as depressed as your neighbour.

Posted
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

How this was not named I’ll never know, my fence is really damaged everything blown about. It more than fit the criteria it was modelled but yet not a thing! IMO there should have been amber for parts of EA.

The max wind gusts 93 mph were recorded in Capel Curig, Wales

Posted

Due to storm surge alert, the Thames Barrier will be closed around 12:00 hrs today

Edited by yamkin

Posted

We had at least 2 60mph+ gusts last night and I'm probably furthest west and furthest inland in the region. Pressure picking up quite rapidly now.  Short lived but nasty beast but nothing on 1987. That went on for over 7 hours and as the system moved away there were still huge gusts throughout the following day. I remember trying to walk across lambeth bridge and clinging on for dear lufe 

• Like 1

Posted

A big tree fell down my road and some minor roof damage, I did mention why everybody was not talking about this yesterday evening. 

• Like 1

Posted

Listening to the radio it sounds like abit of a nightmare outside, the trains are stuffed and most of the village without any power along with roads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)
1 hour ago, Team Squirrel said:

Woken 3 times last night by  terrific 60 mph gusts...neighbour has lost a fence panel, we're not even in the warning area. I bet my allotment is a mess!

Nobody was in the warning area last night till gone 2am, I don’t understand why meto downgrades it. 

Posted

Ramspol storm surge barrier in Holland will be closing at 13:00 hrs today due to storm surge alert

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
35 minutes ago, Dbarb said:

A big tree fell down my road and some minor roof damage, I did mention why everybody was not talking about this yesterday evening. 

It was played down in the forecast, I always expected a bad storm, just by how it was modelled to strengthen over us. Didn't stay up and slept through it though. This morning there's trees down here, not where I live thank goodness. How ever they are causing distribution in town and also in a lot of east Kent in general. Also some bridges closed and obviously ferry distruption.

Edit just checked max gust, 70 mph.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 2

Posted

Wifes bus has got her to work (Uk Power), seems she has got a busy day ahead of her locating pole numbers for engineers to go and hunt down.