Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Met have really mucked up. Hope my neighbours enjoy my patio furniture. It's metal too!!!

Thumps and banging...................I hate Winds, since '87............scared me half to death.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Pressure rising, now 991 from 989 an hour ago and getting some interval between gusts. Hopefully we’ve seen the worst of it now *she says crossing fingers*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Copious amounts of snow and ice days

Well, time to go to work, could be interesting along the single track and B roads 

Really glad I tucked my wheelie bin up as it looks like someone is missing theirs in the middle of the road with the contents whirling around.

10 minutes ago, Chris101 said:

Constant roar in the house now, lots of bangs and crashes outside, the horizon across the fields to my NW keeps getting lit up with power flashes. 

Blimey! Now the most dangerous bit occurs over the far east as the system exits stay safe peeps out east lots of debris on roads here 

Edited by Surrey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

A wild night around our Region but I have to admit to being puzzled by some posts over the last 24 hours, including those dismissing the event as just an ordinary windy spell. The Met Office have had a wind warning out for days and have been mentioning gusts up to 70 mph, and models such as Arpege have been also been accurately forecasting the storm for days (just read the Short Range Model Thread). The only issue I can see is that (as many suspected) the storm edged slightly further south than anticipated.

Anyway, here's how it was looking at 05.00 and there's plenty of gusts in the 60's and some in the 70's mph out there.

Edit: Yesterday morning's Arpege chart:

Arpege.thumb.jpg.0a7dc593a3dbcc7e097185b4d8d177e7.jpg

Edited by Blessed Weather
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Just went out in the garden to check for any damage, the wheely bin and hose reel is up by the side gate and we've gained a potted plant from somewhere :pardon:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Very windy here, just drove on a section of the M25 and the car was being blown about quite sharply. Slightly scary but seems to be calming down a bit.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted

Holy moly, this is horrible, fences down (not mine.....yet) trees down, went for two minute dog walk, bad idea, stuff flying everywhere. Not sure if the drive to Lowestoft this morning will be possible, must be trees down blocking roads. Hope the worst is nearly over.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
3 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

Holy moly, this is horrible, fences down (not mine.....yet) trees down, went for two minute dog walk, bad idea, stuff flying everywhere. Not sure if the drive to Lowestoft this morning will be possible, must be trees down blocking roads. Hope the worst is nearly over.

Winds expected to quickly ease from 09.00 onwards. But very nasty in East Anglia at the moment, with a 74 mph gusts around the Suffolk/Norfolk border. A gust of 69 mph here in Ipswich. Gust update chart at 06.00 from Weatherquest:

5a6042e54d7ce_WeatherquestGustsThur18Jan06_00.thumb.jpg.75373bb682294a5100fd9378b6cf028c.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Still got power here in Cobham N Surrey , but definitely the wildest night of winter .... loads of small branches on the driveway - reckon the roads locally will be dicey ..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Crazily intense here from 4am onwards. It really needed more than a yellow warning.

Posted

Is anyone else seeing flashes of light? Twice now I’ve seen the sky light up. Neighbour fence has gone, she came round to tell me and that they are trying to stop it! I’ve told them to get inside, it’s too dangerous to try and sort it now. I’ll go round later once the wind has died down and help them. The noise sounds like the roof is coming in :sorry:

Posted
1 hour ago, cj114 said:

Yup. Very much too late. I was not expecting this either.Just outside the zone area.

Thank god it's not bin night..........................

It is here!!!!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

Is anyone else seeing flashes of light? Twice now I’ve seen the sky light up. Neighbour fence has gone, she came round to tell me and that they are trying to stop it! I’ve told them to get inside, it’s too dangerous to try and sort it now. I’ll go round later once the wind has died down and help them. The noise sounds like the roof is coming in :sorry:

Flashes have been going a good couple of hours here now, for miles all around, some pretty big ones that stay lit for a couple of seconds.

• Like 1

Posted

So here goes often the met are congratulated for the warning area. They extended the warming area at 3.15 this morning at a time when yes everyone is asleep. South london were taken out of the warning yesterday in the update. This is dangerous. Would rather be under the warning than not

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Probably the only one on here having read the posts , but I didn’t hear the wind last night and now I have left for work ( now on the train ) the worse of the weather has seemed to have passed through  , Sure a few gusts of winds but nothing damaging here anymore , fortunately I witnessed no structural damage either , there must have been some severe gusts earlier in the night as I see @Reefseeker post from a few hours ago and she only leaves a mile or 2 away .

Edited by Mark wheeler

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Didn't hear a bean last night, but something spooked bubs as she started to cry. On looking out it must of been our (thankfully) empty bins falling over. Can hear the odd noise from outside and it was still very gusty when hub went out to grab them.  Clear here now.

Posted
19 minutes ago, Chris101 said:

Flashes have been going a good couple of hours here now, for miles all around, some pretty big ones that stay lit for a couple of seconds.

Thought I was seeing things, was waiting for the inevitable loud bang of thunder but nothing came.