Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

The heavy showers seem to be fizzling out as they cross Ireland. GFS 18z showing no showery activity over night now for us now:cc_confused:

6-574UK.gif

9-574UK.gif

12-574UK.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Joke!:fool:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow
1 minute ago, steveinsussex said:

I think it shows how snow starved we are though, that a slushy 1-3cm’s could poss cause disruption. People just aren’t used to it now!! 

not going to cause disruption that's the MO going ridiculously OTT shame on them really they should know better ... there will be zilch  sweet fanny Adams or I'm a Gorrila with a cherry on top

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Easygoing, but winter is meant to be white, dammit!

There are days that I really wish I lived back home in Biggin....at least i'd see more than a few flakes. ?

As a tribute to better years gone by, a photo of the Main Road passing Biggin Hill Airport many, many years ago. I was but a nipper, but I can still remember it.

PS...that's a standard bus stop sign..... 

FB_IMG_1514635781727.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
10 minutes ago, echodelta21 said:

There are days that I really wish I lived back home in Biggin....at least i'd see more than a few flakes. ?

As a tribute to better years gone by, a photo of the Main Road passing Biggin Hill Airport many, many years ago. I was but a nipper, but I can still remember it.

PS...that's a standard bus stop sign..... 

FB_IMG_1514635781727.jpg

Well I am on the Downs above Sevenoaks not to far from Biggin, if its any solace for you, its dry as a bone here, and I have not bothered to locate my shovel :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

My friends near Oslo in Norway have had nearly 80cm of snow falling, here are some pics taken this morning. Have to say that I’m slightly jealous!

CF5EA16B-4C6B-4AA7-ADCA-6962D97F7F72.jpeg

8134DC2F-5ED2-4851-8E90-BD3F270F3BBE.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Just looked at the radar,ha ha ha,its like someone has put got an old school compass and pencil,stuck the point on london,and drawn a circle,with the words,none shall pass,where's the black knight when you need him,tis but a scratch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 hours ago, PurpleButterfly said:

Just seen this on Metoffice. We are under a warning for snow and ice :D

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2018-01-16

Wow I'm in that warning, quite surprised, I expect nothing, or may be rain icing over in the cold.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, alexisj9 said:

Wow I'm in that warning, quite surprised, I expect nothing, or may be rain icing over in the cold.

That's happened here... Rain for about 40 minutes or so.. Then about 20minutes  later couldn't stand up on decking.. That quick.. 

Posted

Really quite windy this morning, don’t know how bad it’s supposed to get tonight/tomorrow, but if it’s already like this, not looking forward to it :cold:

oh and of course, no snow here, nor frost.

Edited by Blazerblue
  • Like 2

Posted

Good morning all. I know we’re roughly halfway through winter but I’m rapidly losing hope this is unlike me but this is the fifth year in a row with no cover it’s abysmal and truly depressing. 

I’m not even looking for an epic cold spell just one good snow event is that too much to ask? Narrowly missed out on 10th the slightest of southern corrections was needed, and now when it’s OK for snow dry as a bone. It seems to always be the way, the coldies in this part of the world cannot get a break, 30cm plus reported in some parts of Scotland. And still looking at the radar it’s still coming down, looking forward to the solar minimum because we are in a terrible rut.

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Clear skies, windy and feeling bitterly cold. Local roads slippery even with winter tyres. 

Temp: currently 3C feels like -3

Wind: west 20 gusting 34

Pressure: 1002 steady

Humidity: 74%

Visibility: Good

Posted
5 minutes ago, Lampostwatcher said:

not one single snow shower made it over to our region over night pathetic 

warnings were not needed

Yes,agree with that.

These warnings are becoming far too common.

It will soon reach the stage where nobody will pay any attention to them.

Another quite chilly morning in SW19, nought to be concerned about.

There's still the best chunk of winter left to deal us up something interesting.

Wouldn't pay much or any attention to models and the 'experts' who interpret them. They couldn't predict a pint in a pub.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Certainly feels wintry this morning with that freezing wind. Lovely sunny skies though, currently 4C. Tomorrow morning looks unpleasant.

Posted

A light patchy sporadic dusting in the Chiltern Hills.

This is more typical of recent winters compared to the 8" (with snow patches lasting 9/10 days) and 3" we got in December.  Showers tend to die out before they reach us from all directions... Northerly's, North Westerly's, Easterlies etc it usually takes a trough or low pressure system to bring the goods always borderline with the altitude playing a part...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

Good morning all. I know we’re roughly halfway through winter but I’m rapidly losing hope this is unlike me but this is the fifth year in a row with no cover it’s abysmal and truly depressing. 

I’m not even looking for an epic cold spell just one good snow event is that too much to ask? Narrowly missed out on 10th the slightest of southern corrections was needed, and now when it’s OK for snow dry as a bone. It seems to always be the way, the coldies in this part of the world cannot get a break, 30cm plus reported in some parts of Scotland. And still looking at the radar it’s still coming down, looking forward to the solar minimum because we are in a terrible rut.

Chin up mate.

I’m with you in that any falling and settling snow for the rest of winter will be acceptable at this stage and, having seen this a few years back (2008) at the beginning of April, I still feel there’s plenty of time yet!

We have at least been relatively close this year with the “slider” that pummelled some of the south midlands, a pretty near miss for us really when you look at it.

What’s frustrating is that it’s not as if we’ve had a mild winter so far, at least it doesn’t feel that way to me. It’s just felt average or a bit below most of the time, which unfortunately for most of us here hasn’t been enough to deliver the goods. We’d have been better off with a month of blow torch mid-teens SWesterlies followed by a month of “Beasterlies”!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

Beautiful morning, the ground is dry as a bone here, can’t remember the last time I saw the path dry in the morning. It’s nice but not even one snow shower :sorry: I agree that it quite windy here already so I’m not sure what that will bring tonight/tomorrow. What a awful winter AGAIN .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

In search of snow.

BuA7OEf.gif

The wind can do one, even hubs was cold. It's not too bad out of it. Sunny and clear.

Posted

it's a cold dry sunny morning, perfect apart from that gusty wind.

Edit, have no idea where Bert came from but deleted it from start of post. Can't stop laughing now.

Edited by alexisj9

Confused by the met updated warning to remove all of the southern half of our region. The south coast looks to get 60-70mph gusts tonight even inland 60mph might be achieved. 

To many times I've been outside of a warning area and woken up to trees down. Not saying it will happen this time but this low is deepening over the uk and as it exits, this can bring some of the strongest gusts over land. 

• Like 1

Posted

Yes I agree re warning - seems like a very strange choice to me. AROME has been very good with gust speeds during storms and is painting a very different picture to the MO warning. Also I have a "feeling" about this storm. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Confused by the met updated warning to remove all of the southern half of our region. The south coast looks to get 60-70mph gusts tonight even inland 60mph might be achieved. 

To many times I've been outside of a warning area and woken up to trees down. Not saying it will happen this time but this low is deepening over the uk and as it exits, this can bring some of the strongest gusts over land. 

They've only just done it let's hope it's not cause they are changing it to amber. Thankfully most people will be indoors.

Arome for my above post, yes I agree @seb Arome has done excellent so far with storms and also highlighting the risk of some convective gusts of wind into maybe the 70s over land too!

The problem with following the GFS or ECM on something like this is that they  tend to miss the micro details such as squall lines and heavy convective showers following in behind the main band. 

gustkph_027.thumb.jpg.0869f13385ea9a94ad8ef5c5bec09428.jpg