Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
1 hour ago, Ravendane said:

I am one of those snow lovers who swears never to follow the model discussions or look at the Netweather forecasts. It is always downgrades and disappointment.  This morning the forecast was a high chance for heavy snow on Thursday night...already downgraded to heavy rain.  I do need to know though. I have to make plans for my three mares, two from Iberia about how to care for them in extreme weather. So the annual rollercoaster of model watch and forecast checking continues. 

Oh, and I am in the Chilterns...no longer a guarantee of snow here anymore

Looking at the Met office site, it’s chalk & cheese compared to the MOD thread. Even the north west is down for rain next week up to Friday. For next weekend, that could be different. 

D01DEF59-3976-4225-9CB3-C027D17872FC.png

Posted

judging by a post on the mad thread, according to gfs snow depth charts we in kent miss out all week :wallbash: 

and no support from the gefs ensembles for any easterly 

Edited by PLANET THANET

Posted
44 minutes ago, Weather toad said:

Looking at the Met office site, it’s chalk & cheese compared to the MOD thread. Even the north west is down for rain next week up to Friday. For next weekend, that could be different. 

D01DEF59-3976-4225-9CB3-C027D17872FC.png

Manchester is one of the warmest places up here along with the coastal strip.... up here at 300m it’s 12z xcweather going for 54cm, netweather 90cm, metcheck 82.4cm.....weather outlook 52cm....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
6 hours ago, snowray said:

Croydon? Why Croydon?:cc_confused:

Where I lived up until July 2013, l would have loved to have lived down here during the channel low red warning, people still talk about that snow event down here.

Posted
6 hours ago, lawrenk said:

Both of the updated MO long rangers, posted elsewhere on this site, seem like subtle upgrades to me. Only brief incursions from the west and generally below average temps right out to the end.

Now the cold uppers have finally got here from the east, I expect battle ground events rather than a full westerly take over. Don't know what the models are showing now, however the air has notably changed here, and I can tell that the upper air has changed.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted

Just seen a map in which the whole of the East of England is covered wiith snow on Thursday :yahoo:

oh wait, what's this tiny tiny tiny blank white bit? Just where the Triangle is? :angry:

Edited by JennyJane1
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, James Oliver said:

A spell of snow Wednesday night as a low tracks across the south? 

A spell of snow across N England, parts of the Midlands and possibly Norfolk. Rain to the south, as things stand. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Our only hope is that the low tracks a little further south, any further north and its game over though, long shot maybe but it will be a relatively small area of heavy snow moving E/SE, some places will get lucky, anyway still a long way off and might end up running up the channel. As for D8/9/10 charts, well anything can happen, wont take much for the SE to get some snowfall although as things stand North London and EA looks most favourable.

This chart is from the MAD thread.

D027DCE1-30F9-436F-809B-524F0C9AB5A0.thumb.png.9150f10fc551a1671dcb61fa6ad2513d.png

• Like 1

Posted
57 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

A spell of snow across N England, parts of the Midlands and possibly Norfolk. Rain to the south, as things stand. 

A 50 mile shift south will run it through the channel and give us all a spell of snow. History tells us these runners usually adjust south, so you never know.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
3 hours ago, WillinGlossop said:

Manchester is one of the warmest places up here along with the coastal strip.... up here at 300m it’s 12z xcweather going for 54cm, netweather 90cm, metcheck 82.4cm.....weather outlook 52cm....

And here’s what the Met office think ? 

0914414C-3EE3-4077-B657-3DAEB52CEE71.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
36 minutes ago, snowray said:

Our only hope is that the low tracks a little further south, any further north and its game over though, long shot maybe but it will be a relatively small area of heavy snow moving E/SE, some places will get lucky, anyway still a long way off and might end up running up the channel. As for D8/9/10 charts, well anything can happen, wont take much for the SE to get some snowfall although as things stand North London and EA looks most favourable.

This chart is from the MAD thread.

D027DCE1-30F9-436F-809B-524F0C9AB5A0.thumb.png.9150f10fc551a1671dcb61fa6ad2513d.png

If some in the NW miss out again because everything slips south I fear for their well being!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Indeed.:laugh: But there will be lots of heavy showers around to the NW so if its cold enough they should get a fair bit of snow, maybe not down to see level though at times, interesting week coming up.

Edited by snowray

Posted
37 minutes ago, Weather toad said:

And here’s what the Met office think ? 

0914414C-3EE3-4077-B657-3DAEB52CEE71.png

I’m nearer Crowden but higher up than Glossop....glossop is 158m asl I’m 304m asl....

Posted
2 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

I’m nearer Crowden but higher up than Glossop....glossop is 158m asl I’m 304m asl....

Strange. I think above 100m it will be mainly snow in the Midlands, BBC showing some quite high temps like they always do when we get a cold spell of weather.:cc_confused:

Posted
5 minutes ago, snowray said:

Strange. I think above 100m it will be mainly snow in the Midlands, BBC showing some quite high temps like they always do when we get a cold spell of weather.:cc_confused:

Normally Manchester is 2-4c warmer than here and the numbers given on regional are for towns/cities.... we’ve been 4-5c max most of this week.... I would expect next week we’d be 0-1c max....

Edited by WillinGlossop

Posted
14 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Normally Manchester is 2-4c warmer than here and the numbers given on regional are for towns/cities.... we’ve been 4-5c max most of this week.... I would expect next week we’d be 0-1c max....

Yes I make you right there. We shall likely be 3-4c down here, central London up to 5/6c maybe, colder in any heavy PPN.

Posted

if  the  mod thred right it could get interesting down our way  wed thu  mod theard   talking  about storm coming  in  

Posted
30 minutes ago, tinybill said:

if  the  mod thred right it could get interesting down our way  wed thu  mod theard   talking  about storm coming  in  

what they are saying about this storm iis starting to frighten me.:cray:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)
46 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

what they are saying about this storm iis starting to frighten me.:cray:

Is it going to be that bad

Posted
39 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

Is it going to be that bad

Hopefully not. Got my fingers cross it will moderate in the models before it comes. There's still a while to go. The main problem is, it is riding the border between the warm and cold air, which could aid in fast cyclogenesis, it could still go south of us, positioning far from certain at this stage. If it does go south much less wind and snow becomes possible instead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)
15 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Hopefully not. Got my fingers cross it will moderate in the models before it comes. There's still a while to go. The main problem is, it is riding the border between the warm and cold air, which could aid in fast cyclogenesis, it could still go south of us, positioning far from certain at this stage. If it does go south much less wind and snow becomes possible instead.

Cyclogenesis????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

it might snow, hold on it doesn't look likely now, wait it is looking promising now, oh it's now marginal,  The MOD thread in brief, save you all the trouble from reading it :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

Cyclogenesis????

Sorry the low could get deep fast. But that doesn,t mean anything for now. The models do not have a handle on positioning yet. Or how strong it may or may not be.