Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Some much colder uppers moving into the area on the ICON this evening, -4, maybe a -5c hpa, something Steve M was talking about to watch out for.:cold: 

icon-1-54.png

icon-1-57.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
1 minute ago, snowray said:

Hampshire/Oxfordshire are like the halfway house or lets call it borderland between SE/SW and Midlands. I am firmly SE here.:D

Well the Met Office class Hampshire as SE. Although I'm only just over a mile from the border with Dorset which is classed as SW. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
9 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Well the Met Office class Hampshire as SE. Although I'm only just over a mile from the border with Dorset which is classed as SW. 

Your right there on the border then aren't you. lol. More SW though I'd say once your on the Dorset border.

Posted

ZzzzzzzzZzzz that’s how I would sum up our snow chances in the next 10 days,you might see a flake in the sky but settling snow,your avin a laugh:crazy:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
12 minutes ago, snowray said:

Your right there on the border then aren't you. lol. More SW though I'd say once your on the Dorset border.

Just to the west of the Isle of Wight too. Can't be much closer being right in the middle. 

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

ZzzzzzzzZzzz that’s how I would sum up our snow chances in the next 10 days,you might see a flake in the sky but settling snow,your avin a laugh:crazy:

I will give it another 10 days or so to see what might lie ahead but if nothing interesting looks likely I will probably call it a day and start looking forward to Spring. It can still snow of course after mid February but I can't remember the last time I experienced proper winter weather with ice days after mid Feb around here anyway, used to happen pre 1960's in spite of the stronger sun, but not in my living memory.

Edited by snowray
  • Like 1

Posted

It actually hit 11c 52f today for a brief moment in Central London and with the sun beating down it felt almost like Spring. 

Really nice seeing the yellow orb make a return today

Looking forward to some convective skies with westerly driven showers next week

Posted

Days are noticeably getting longer now so these balmy days of 10c+ will feel more and more spring like, felt very mild here and again this evening my heating is set to very low:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

northwesterlies next week with showers, they are utter junk for snow here, unless the flow is unusually cold. I hope that much talked about easterly actually arrives in the last week of January. I think February will be a real snow fest especially if we get the right SSW.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
28 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

northwesterlies next week with showers, they are utter junk for snow here, unless the flow is unusually cold. I hope that much talked about easterly actually arrives in the last week of January. I think February will be a real snow fest especially if we get the right SSW.

I get the feeling there are going to be some very disappointed members from the NW and Midlands next week. There’s hardly any mention of snow in any meto/BBC forecast I’ve seen, in fact Monday for Manchester is 5 degrees and heavy rain. 

Posted

Another abysmal grotty day ahead, haven’t seen the sun in days, car headlights are on every time I go out, it’s always dark, I’m starting to understand the seasonal affected disorder people suffer from. Wet everywhere with light to heavy drizzle, I used to like winter, but this year it’s just depressing. I can live without snow, some cold but sunny days would be pleasant right now :sorry:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I don't know about you lot but i don't care that the north is getting snow. I only care if my area gets snow. 

so anyway, muck yuck and I can finally wear my new coat.

Much better than some proxy heavy snow.:whistling:

Posted

Gloomy, mild, damp, hate it!!!!:bad:

Next winter am going on a cruise or maybe even a couple of months in South America, not staying here for more of this misery.  :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Horrible day here, gloomy and grey with bouts of heavy drizzle. 7C currently with light NW’ly winds.

• Like 1

Posted

Yesterday London got to 11c, today we are up to 8c, does that seem right for mid January? Our mid winters, Jan-early Feb seem to be getting milder and milder, Feb is now in actual fact more like what March used to be like. :cray:

And them lot that think they will get a winter wonderland on a westerly, even the coldest of westerlies will be very disappointed when they see sleet and rain.:doh: 

At altitude though should be ok, above 300m maybe.

• Like 1

Posted

looking Forward to seeing the wintry showers and snow on the High ground in our region next week.

Im sure the forecast highs next week down here of just below 10 C won’t be a factor:rofl::gathering:

CF47453B-688F-47AB-A957-7CAF74DC08AE.png

Posted
4 minutes ago, snowray said:

Yesterday London got to 11c, today we are up to 8c, does that seem right for mid January? Our mid winters, Jan-early Feb seem to be getting milder and milder, Feb is now in actual fact more like what March used to be like. :cray:

And them lot that think they will get a winter wonderland on a westerly, even the coldest of westerlies will be very disappointed when they see sleet and rain.:doh: 

At altitude though should be ok, above 300m maybe.

Correct only on high ground I would expect decent covering in the North,as for here well I don’t even think of jan as a cold winter month anymore,so rare snow is now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
13 hours ago, snowray said:

Days are noticeably getting longer now so these balmy days of 10c+ will feel more and more spring like, felt very mild here and again this evening my heating is set to very low:)

Blimey, you're perceptive mate - the sun rises at the same time as it did 22nd Dec and sets just 20 mins later!  It's been so gloomy out there that it feel no different to me alas, can't wait for mid Feb now when I really notice it and Spring is almost here.  If we can't have a decent winter I'd rather skip this gloomy, nothingness cr@p!

Posted
24 minutes ago, James1979 said:

Blimey, you're perceptive mate - the sun rises at the same time as it did 22nd Dec and sets just 20 mins later!  It's been so gloomy out there that it feel no different to me alas, can't wait for mid Feb now when I really notice it and Spring is almost here.  If we can't have a decent winter I'd rather skip this gloomy, nothingness cr@p!

My grandmother would say to me to look out for the lengthening days from the Epiphany onwards, 6th Jan, you know when the 3 wise men turn up, so I guess its just something I notice. She would also say that the lengthening days after Christmas are like the jumps/flight of a Rooster, chickens can't fly of course so what she meant was tiny/small. Just silly things I remember from my childhood. :)

Yes you really will notice it by mid Feb, but yesterday in the sunshine was the first time I personally could tell that the days were lengthening. 

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Team Squirrel said:

Saw a bloke with buying 3 sledges yesterday...does he know something we don't??? Marlow  Multiple Sledgebuyers Index?!!!!:D

Erm, window frames, square wheels? Carry on Cleo springs to mind!:rofl:

Posted
17 minutes ago, Sharpedge said:

Probably lives in the Northwest.

They must be the sleet and slush variety of sledges then I guess, best on grass.:cc_confused:

Posted

GFS 12z showing more of a NWly flow and slightly colder uppers, lots of wintry showers moving in from the west. So a higher chance of seeing a few flakes then, or another wild goose chase? :D

gfs-2-132.png

• Like 1