Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

:bad:.....Oh well winter is over for us I guess:laugh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
27 minutes ago, snowray said:

The Sahara desert is doing well this winter too it would seem, reports of 30-40cm in parts of Algeria. I thought people went there for winter sun and warmth?:cc_confused:

neve-deserto-del-sahara-le-immagini-algeria-49191_1_1.jpg

looks like east anglia

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
21 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

looks like east anglia

Do they have that much sand in EA? And hills?:cc_confused:

Posted
Just now, lassie23 said:

lol barren i meant

ohh I see what you mean now. Definitely not white tho, closest to white in SE right now be Dover I guess

Posted

Hold the papers and the daily mail if your on vurgin trains... the sun is officially out welk behind a bit of cloud but its there 

Posted

All of a sudden the Northern members are running amok in the model thread, we never get any luck down here do we:angry: 

Oh well, they might get all the snow but at least we all have electricity and indoor loos:rofl:

• Like 1

Posted

As I thought would happen, it’s just going to be dull and boring down here. Cold zonality means nothing for us in the south. Thankfully with my trip to Estonia on the 19th, I’ll at least get to see some proper winter weather. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

gave my new umbrella a good workout this morning, felt dead cozy. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

A lovely day here, all the horrid gloom has cleared to blue skies and sunshine. Light winds and currently 8C. 

• Like 1

Posted

Up to 9C here, and a big improvement with a cloudless blue sky and (in a sheltered spot) some warmth in the sun. Weather warning for fog tomorrow, I see...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
13 hours ago, snowray said:

The Sahara desert is doing well this winter too it would seem, reports of 30-40cm in parts of Algeria. I thought people went there for winter sun and warmth?:cc_confused:

neve-deserto-del-sahara-le-immagini-algeria-49191_1_1.jpg

Coastal North Africa has a mild, Mediterranean climate perfect for summer sun but go inland a bit and you hit a big mountain range that divides the coast from the Sahara. Snow is fairly frequent here, due mainly to elevation. 

Posted
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Coastal North Africa has a mild, Mediterranean climate perfect for summer sun but go inland a bit and you hit a big mountain range that divides the coast from the Sahara. Snow is fairly frequent here, due mainly to elevation. 

Yup, I never realised that the Atlas mountains are almost as high as the Alps, but that pic does not look like its in the mountains to me, more like small desert hills. :blink2:

Anyway, if we do get this cold zonality I will go to our local Kent Alps, up S Murrs way, never know might see a flake or two at 200m asl but suspect we will need to be above 300m, how high is the Shard, could go up to London Bridge for a laugh I guess.

And to think that there are people arguing with me that altitude don't make any difference for snowfall the other day on the MAD thread. :)

Edited by snowray
  • Like 1

Posted

Oh in case your interested, here are some pics of Atlas mountains in Marocco.:D

marocco_high_atlas__large.jpg

images-6.jpg

Atlas-Valley-and-Mt-Toubkal-Climb-high-atlas-in-winter.jpg

Edited by snowray
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Just nosing in here and the mood seems very similar in here to the SW thread as far as southerners luck is concerned. :wallbash:

Oh and we also feel the same about the northern members in the MAD thread.  Maybe we need a separate one just for the southern half of the country so we don’t have to see what’s going on up there.  :unknw:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The sun came out today..... at sunset!!! :rofl:

Otherwise another gloomy day, but spiced up with some outbreaks of rain.

Posted
1 hour ago, matt111 said:

Just nosing in here and the mood seems very similar in here to the SW thread as far as southerners luck is concerned. :wallbash:

Oh and we also feel the same about the northern members in the MAD thread.  Maybe we need a separate one just for the southern half of the country so we don’t have to see what’s going on up there.  :unknw:

Good idea. Whats really annoying is that quite a few keep saying that we are only interested in snow chances in the south and that we are very selfish southerners when looking for set ups that will produce snowfall in the SE like an easterly because we have already had lots of snow in December. :blink2::unsure2:

Oh and that we keep ignoring the fact that many places up in the Scottish mountains are getting lots of snow and that we should be talking about this a LOT more instead of just obsessing with southern snowfall all the time because we are obviously lacking in consideration for people in other parts of the country (northern UK mainly), and liars too if god forbid that someone might say that they did not see any snow in December or that it was the wrong kind of snow, ie, it never settled, because everyone knows that we had snow because in was on TV!

download.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
10 minutes ago, snowray said:

that we are very selfish southerners when looking for set ups that will produce snowfall in the SE like an easterly

Isn’t that exactly what some of them are doing with the expected northwesterly?

• Like 4

Posted
33 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Hmm, there still some folk even in the NW quadrant thread prepared to think outside the box, check this out

"Tell me about it, the amount of potential i’ve cleared off the drive this winter is unbelievable.some mornings I couldn’t move for the damn stuff." :rofl:

Virtual shovels at the ready..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I will say no names, but all a certain member bangs on about is the Northwest getting snow, it’s tiresome. If we get a snow event for the south @matt111 I’m going to town on it! :D

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted
47 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Yes, of course it is. And I simply don't get all the posters that keep saying that an easterly is only good for the SE, pile of BOL***S:wallbash:

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, snowray said:

Yes, of course it is. And I simply don't get all the posters that keep saying that an easterly is only good for the SE, pile of BOL***S:wallbash:

I’m sure an easterlies far better for a lot of the country than northwesterlies usually are. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
4 minutes ago, snowray said:

Yeah I know lol, That line always cracks me up ?

• Like 2

Posted

2.5°C now so already below the forecast minimum temperature. 

Edit: Getting so used to posting in here I’m now posting in the wrong thread. 

Edited by matt111

Posted
35 minutes ago, matt111 said:

2.5°C now so already below the forecast minimum temperature. 

Edit: Getting so used to posting in here I’m now posting in the wrong thread. 

Hampshire/Oxfordshire are like the halfway house or lets call it borderland between SE/SW and Midlands. I am firmly SE here.:D